PDA

View Full Version : WiFi Troubleshooting on Apple Devices.

Thomas
02-03-2011, 09:16 AM
We are aware that some users have connection issues when syncing via WiFi.

Below is a comprehensive list of WiFi troubleshooting steps for DejaOffice using Apple Devices.

We hope this is helpful information:

WiFi sync is only possible when your computer and Apple device are both connected to a network that has a WiFi access point.
Your computer can be connected to the network via WiFi or Ethernet.
(NOTE:You must connect your Apple device to the same network your PC is connected to.)

You can verify your Apple device is connected to WiFi when you see the WiFi icon at the top of the screen on your Apple device. For assistance setting up a WiFi connection on your Apple device go to:
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/assistant/wifi/

Here is a page that outlines exactly how to setup and use WiFI Sync with CompanionLink and DejaOffice for Apple Devices:
http://www.companionlink.com/support/setup_iphone_wifi.html
(NOTE: Be sure to double check all setting entries made after completing this tutorial.)

If you are experiencing trouble with your WiFi connection on your Apple device, there a number of support Articles on the Apple website that can help resolve those problems.
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/wifi/

Additional Troubleshooting Steps:

Many times WiFi sync fails because the PC and Apple device are not communicating on the network.
**Verify the IP address entered in the CompanionLink setup matches the IP address reported by DejaOffice on the device.**
1. Open CompanionLink Setup/Settings/WiFi Settings
2. Open DejaOffice and tap the sync icon. The IP address of the Apple Device should be listed in the middle of the sync screen.
3. Verify CompanionLink shows the same IP address as DejaOffice.

-OR-

**Verify your PC and Apple device are on the same network**
1.On the Apple device, launch DejaOffice.
2. Open DejaOffice and tap Sync. The IP address of the iPhone/iPad should be listed in the middle of the sync screen.
- NOTE: If the Apple device reports an IP address beginning with 169, or no IP address see http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1559
You will not be able to sync until you resolve this issue, and may need to contact Apple for further support on this.
3. In Windows Click Start >(All)Programs >Accessories>Command Promt
4. Type "Ping [IP Address]" (Example: ping 192.168.0.103) This is the same IP address you found in step #2.

Sometimes your Apple device can randomly be assigned a new iP address from the WiFI router.
**Disconnect the Apple device from the network and reconnect**
-OR-
Reset network Setting on your Apple Device
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

**Kill and restart the DejaOffice process (only possible on Apple devices running iOS 4 and higher).**
1 Exit DejaOffice.
2 Double-tap the Apple device Home button. This should bring up the process manager (under the dock).
3 In the process manger, tap and hold the DejaOffice icon until it starts wiggling, then tap the "-" symbol, on the corner of the icon, to kill the DejaOffice process.
4 Restart DejaOffice and attempt to sync from the PC again.

If you need further assistance, CompanionLink offers a RunStart service for first time setup. You can purchase this service at
http://www.companionlink.com/runstart/index.html.

**More Trouble Troubleshooting Links from Apple**

General WiFI troubleshooting for iPhone ? iPod Touch
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

General WiFI troubleshooting for iPad
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3237

Traveling? - Tutorial on using subscription WiFi (Hotel/Starbucks) hotspots:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3867

If you are having problems connecting to a hidden wireless network:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1651

Apple Inc, publishes recommended settings for Apple device users connecting to WiFi Networks:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4199

Feel free to post about how this article works for you.
If something isn't clear, or if it really helped.
We would love the feedback.

Elias Reyes
03-15-2011, 11:46 AM
I,m traing sync ACT2010 with iphone 4, but when i click at companionlink sync, a pull up message apperar it says Internet error ( unable to connect to remote device) What should I do to solve this problem.

Thomas
03-15-2011, 12:07 PM
I,m traing sync ACT2010 with iphone 4, but when i click at companionlink sync, a pull up message apperar it says Internet error ( unable to connect to remote device) What should I do to solve this problem.

Hi Elias,

You can try the steps below for WiFI sync and ACT!

[AB42522] Here is some general information about CompanionLink Wi-Fi sync for Apple devices.
http://www.companionlink.com/products/dejaoffice-apple-wifi.html

This page has detailed setup information
http://www.companionlink.com/support/setup_iphone_wifi.html

Here are some detailed notes:

After you have set up the first time, you need only do these steps to synchronize:
1. Open DejaOffice and go to the "Sync" mini-app
2. Open CompanionLink on your PC and select the "Synchronize" button

Sometimes the IP Address can change. This generally only happens if your Wi-Fi Router has been reset. In this case, just obtain the new IP Address, and enter it into CompanionLink Settings on the PC.

When using Wi-Fi sync, we do not recommend you synchronize the same data using any other method. So please don't also set up Google Sync, Outlook Sync, Mobile Me or any other system for the same data. To do so may create duplicate records.

If you need further assistance, CompanionLink offers a RunStart service for first time setup. You can order this service at http://www.companionlink.com/runstart/index.html. Also available is Premium Support which gives a year of premium tech care. For details go here:
http://www.companionlink.com/premium/index.html

You can also open a support ticket by sending an email to:
support@companionlink.com

If you are truing to use the Secure Hosted Wireless Sync let me know.

Nambamous
03-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Id like to print documents from my IPad to my Kodak All-in-One printer via WIFI connection.
Please advise.

Thomas
03-30-2011, 06:55 AM
Id like to print documents from my IPad to my Kodak All-in-One printer via WIFI connection.
Please advise.

Hi Nambamous,

I would check the iTunes store for Document print apps. Companionlink SW does not support mobile document printing.

mikeclarkusa
08-02-2011, 03:41 PM
I am syncing two iPhones (iPhone 4 and 3Gs) to one wired computer (Win7 32) using CL Pro 4.0 4047 with two profiles, one for each iPhone. The network runs through a U-Verse 2Wire modem.

Even though the iPhones connect automatically to the internet, I find that I must reboot the iPhones every time before they can sync to the computer. I check the connection from the browser using the 192.168.1.XXX:8090 command. If this returns "DejaOffice Server is running." then syncing is possible.

Another problem is that must DejaOffice must remain open and the iPhone must not be allowed to close. Otherwise, the CL Pro Synchronize utility may not retain the correct IP address. Even if I have already set the IP address in the Sync utility, I have to recheck it, because oftentimes it reverts to the previous incorrect address.

Another problem is that CL Sync status is often incorrect. For example, it may say "Completed Calendar" while the iPhone has just begun to sync the calendar. Or the status bar may stop updating before completion, while the iPhone seems sync seems to have completed. This situation is not predictable.

Thomas
08-03-2011, 09:56 AM
I am syncing two iPhones (iPhone 4 and 3Gs) to one wired computer (Win7 32) using CL Pro 4.0 4047 with two profiles, one for each iPhone. The network runs through a U-Verse 2Wire modem.

Even though the iPhones connect automatically to the internet, I find that I must reboot the iPhones every time before they can sync to the computer. I check the connection from the browser using the 192.168.1.XXX:8090 command. If this returns "DejaOffice Server is running." then syncing is possible.

Another problem is that must DejaOffice must remain open and the iPhone must not be allowed to close. Otherwise, the CL Pro Synchronize utility may not retain the correct IP address. Even if I have already set the IP address in the Sync utility, I have to recheck it, because oftentimes it reverts to the previous incorrect address.

Another problem is that CL Sync status is often incorrect. For example, it may say "Completed Calendar" while the iPhone has just begun to sync the calendar. Or the status bar may stop updating before completion, while the iPhone seems sync seems to have completed. This situation is not predictable.

Hi Mike,

DejaOffice only accesses the WiFi connection of your apple device. It has no control of the actual IP address assigned by the router. It is merely accessing what your iPhone and WiFi router are connecting to. If your iPhone has trouble keeping a consistent WiFi connection you may want to Contact the Router manufacturer or AppleCare.

CL and DJO run their own independent functions. CL completed compiling the calendar, and DejaOffice began syncing with it. Sync functions and sequence vary at times due to use patterns as well.

mikeclarkusa
08-03-2011, 07:40 PM
You misunderstand. Both iPhones retain their assigned IP addresses 100%. In my case they are 192.168.1.103 and 104. These NEVER change.

The problem is in CL Sync. There, I change the IP address from 103 to 104. However, when I try to confirm 192.168.1.104:8090 in the browser, often the connection fails. When I re-check CL Sync, I see that the setting has switched back to 192.168.1.103. This happens quite often. I have to set it to 192.168.1.104 again. Sometimes, several times before it will stick.
Similarly, when I switch back to 103. I.e., it happens both directions.

Any explanation?
Thanks,
- Mike

Thomas
08-05-2011, 07:24 AM
You misunderstand. Both iPhones retain their assigned IP addresses 100%. In my case they are 192.168.1.103 and 104. These NEVER change.

The problem is in CL Sync. There, I change the IP address from 103 to 104. However, when I try to confirm 192.168.1.104:8090 in the browser, often the connection fails. When I re-check CL Sync, I see that the setting has switched back to 192.168.1.103. This happens quite often. I have to set it to 192.168.1.104 again. Sometimes, several times before it will stick.
Similarly, when I switch back to 103. I.e., it happens both directions.

Any explanation?
Thanks,
- Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the explanation. It Sounds like a problem with the .ini files.
I have a fix but it will require that you reconfigure your Profiles from scratch.

Try this:

1. Open CompanionLink Setup on your PC Desktop.
2. Hold the following keys down on the keyboard:
"CTRL"+"SHIFT"+"D" - A folder should display on your desktop.
3. Close the CompanionLink Setup application
4. Delete all the files with the extension .ini in the folder that displayed.(Most likely there will be 2 but possibly more.) In my PC I have two profiles setup and one is Companionlink.ini and the other is companiolink-1.ini.
5. Close the folder.
6. Launch CompanionLink Setup and re-configure your profile settings.

I hope this helps.

mikeclarkusa
08-08-2011, 01:18 PM
I deleted the three .ini files and syncing seems to be working better now. I still have to reboot the iphones before CL will see them to sync.
Another problem:
I received a phone call during the middle of a sync. This crashed the sync, and then DO would not open. I had to delete and reinstall DO and then resync.
Is there any way to prevent an incoming call from corrupting an in-process sync and DO itself?
Thanks,
- Mike

Thomas
08-08-2011, 01:45 PM
I deleted the three .ini files and syncing seems to be working better now. I still have to reboot the iphones before CL will see them to sync.
Another problem:
I received a phone call during the middle of a sync. This crashed the sync, and then DO would not open. I had to delete and reinstall DO and then resync.
Is there any way to prevent an incoming call from corrupting an in-process sync and DO itself?
Thanks,
- Mike

Hello Mike,

Glad to hear clearing the .ini files helped.

What wireless carrier is your iphone configured for? I have been running tests with a Verizon iPhone receiving an incoming call during a Sync. I have not experienced any corruption.
If you can add any additional information I would be grateful.

mikeclarkusa
08-10-2011, 02:28 PM
AT&T My cell service in the house connects via wifi through an ATT Microcell.
Since you haven't seen the problem yourself, perhaps something else caused the crash. If necessary, I can place a call to the phone while I am syncing to see if the problem repeats.

Thomas
08-12-2011, 09:41 AM
AT&T My cell service in the house connects via wifi through an ATT Microcell.
Since you haven't seen the problem yourself, perhaps something else caused the crash. If necessary, I can place a call to the phone while I am syncing to see if the problem repeats.

I will test on an iPhone with AT&T service as well. I suspected Verizon as those devices are unable to handle phone calls and network activity at the same time.

emjayeess
12-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Hello DejaOffice and Thomas,

I just purchased the iPhone 4S and finally set up CompanionLink (CL) and DejaOffice (DJO) to sync with my Outlook 2010. However, the sync process seems inconsistent.

Syncing only occurs when I close DJO on the iPhone and restart it, i.e., if it's open when I start CL, CL doesn't sync and crashes.

Is this the normal sync method? Do we always have to close and restart DJO in order to be able to sync?

Also, is there a way to filter more than one category in the Calendar? I'd often like to view just two categories of appointments and keep the less important entries hidden at times. if not, please consider adding this capability. Another request: make the individual apps available on the iPhone main launcher pages instead of having to tap the main DJO icon to access them.

Thanks!

Thomas
12-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Hello DejaOffice and Thomas,

I just purchased the iPhone 4S and finally set up CompanionLink (CL) and DejaOffice (DJO) to sync with my Outlook 2010. However, the sync process seems inconsistent.

Syncing only occurs when I close DJO on the iPhone and restart it, i.e., if it's open when I start CL, CL doesn't sync and crashes.

Is this the normal sync method? Do we always have to close and restart DJO in order to be able to sync?

Also, is there a way to filter more than one category in the Calendar? I'd often like to view just two categories of appointments and keep the less important entries hidden at times. if not, please consider adding this capability. Another request: make the individual apps available on the iPhone main launcher pages instead of having to tap the main DJO icon to access them.

Thanks!

Hello Emjayeess,

This is not normal but it is a known issue we are fixing. Look for DejaOffice 1.2.9 soon. A fix should be included for this problem.

dejaroy
04-05-2012, 04:02 AM
I had earlier contacted DejaOffice/Companionlink support because my iPhone/Dejaoffice and PC/Companionlink would not sync, even though I verified all the published requisites (both connected to the same WiFi network, IP address was correct, etc.). I then stumbled upon the solution : My company uses a proxy server for browsing the internet from work, but I do not use a proxy server at home. So my PC is setup with the default browser (IE) connected via the proxy server, then I use Firefox to browse the internet from home without the proxy server. From home I tried to contact the setup guides from within Companionlink software, which launches the default browser, which wouldn't connect to the internet because of the proxy server. When I removed the proxy server, Companionlink started syncing with the phone/DejaOffice ! I don't understand why the syncing process would access the setup of the default browser, but I have no problems to sync now at home when I remove the proxy server from my default browser setup.

I recommend to add this item to the requisites for syncing and iPhone/DejaOffice to PC/Companionlink :
- The default internet browser on the PC must be setup to permit automatic access the internet when it launches : if it uses a proxy server, the proxy server must allow automatic access to the internet (which I imagine is not usually the case). Otherwise, the proxy server must be removed to allow automatic access to the internet when it launches.

Maybe I'm not wording the solution correctly, the Tech Guys at CompanionLink can take the idea and form it correctly, but I am convinced this is why I struggled for so long.

Roy

Thomas
04-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Another problem:
Thanks,
- Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about the crash with an inbound call.
What exact iPhone Device Model and OS is installed?

dhabha
07-01-2013, 03:44 AM
Hi DJO and Thomas

Thinks have been superbly smooth - with CL Express which helps me sync Outlook to an Android handset and a iPad! And this has been running well for several months. On occasion (and possibly quite often), the IP address assigned to the iPad changes. And this means resetting the details in CL. I understand this is something to do with the router etc.
But over the last couple of days - I havent been able to sync the iPad. And this problem only occurs at home (and not, say, at work or at a cafe - I tried these two yesterday).
The IP address that shows up in DJO on the iPad is 192.168.1.86 And when I tried pinging it from the desktop, I got the message "destination host unreachable".
Any solutions, please?
[PS: disregard some of the signature details ...
iPad 2 / DJO 1.4.6
CL Express Build 5070]

Belinda
07-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Hi DJO and Thomas

Thinks have been superbly smooth - with CL Express which helps me sync Outlook to an Android handset and a iPad! And this has been running well for several months. On occasion (and possibly quite often), the IP address assigned to the iPad changes. And this means resetting the details in CL. I understand this is something to do with the router etc.
But over the last couple of days - I havent been able to sync the iPad. And this problem only occurs at home (and not, say, at work or at a cafe - I tried these two yesterday).
The IP address that shows up in DJO on the iPad is 192.168.1.86 And when I tried pinging it from the desktop, I got the message "destination host unreachable".
Any solutions, please?
[PS: disregard some of the signature details ...
iPad 2 / DJO 1.4.6
CL Express Build 5070]

dhabha -

Please work through these troubleshooting steps, then let us know if you're still having issues:

http://www.companionlink.com/support/kb/ERSP_iPhone,_iPad,_iOS_CompanionLink_Wi-Fi_Sync_Troubleshooting_steps_for_DejaOffice_WiFi

dhabha
07-01-2013, 10:25 AM
dhabha -

Please work through these troubleshooting steps, then let us know if you're still having issues:

http://www.companionlink.com/support/kb/ERSP_iPhone,_iPad,_iOS_CompanionLink_Wi-Fi_Sync_Troubleshooting_steps_for_DejaOffice_WiFi

Thanks Belinda
Tried the several different options; but alas no luck in either 'validating' the WiFi connection (though, the iPad is connected) or obviously in running sync
Please help .... as several days of recent notes/memos whilst travelling lie only on the iPad.

dhabha
07-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks Belinda
Did try the several steps/options; but to no avail. Neither can I validate the WiFi connection, nor obviously sync.
Please help - as several days of notes/memos and task updates lie on the iPad waiting to be transferred/sync to Outlook

Belinda
07-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks Belinda
Did try the several steps/options; but to no avail. Neither can I validate the WiFi connection, nor obviously sync.
Please help - as several days of notes/memos and task updates lie on the iPad waiting to be transferred/sync to Outlook

dhabha -

Unfortunately, this doesn't sound like a DejaOffice issue - but an issue with your WiFi network/connection. The message "destination host unreachable" means that the connection isn't working correctly for the iPad - until you're able to ping the device correctly, the sync won't run via WiFi.

Since you're able to synchronize outside in other places, we recommend you focus the troubleshooting on the router at home (try rebooting it, etc).

If WiFi continues to be a problem, the easiest solution may be to change sync methods - even if the WiFi for the iPad doesn't function at home, if you have a network connection then our DejaCloud synchronization is an option. Here's more information: www.companionlink.com/dejacloud

dhabha
07-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks Belinda
Rebooting seems to work a miracle for this