PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cons of syncing with native Android apps?

Arch
06-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Worried about data corruption, particularly dupicate contacts (I probably have google contacts I don't care about and don't want to import), I set my DejaOffice to not synchronize with the native apps. I intend to buy Companionlink and keep syncing with my Palm desktop. But what are the advantages or disadvantages of enabling sync with the native apps?

tbessie
06-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Worried about data corruption, particularly dupicate contacts (I probably have google contacts I don't care about and don't want to import), I set my DejaOffice to not synchronize with the native apps. I intend to buy Companionlink and keep syncing with my Palm desktop. But what are the advantages or disadvantages of enabling sync with the native apps?

I'm curious about the same things - I have been using DejaOffice with Palm Desktop, but only 1-way sync (from computer -> Nexus One/DejaOffice). I don't trust any products out there to do local sync with Palm Desktop to Android and maintain all field mappings, etc. in a two-way sync, even if I don't consider syncing with the native databases. Such apps just haven't been around long enough for me to trust them as I trust my Palm Desktop<->Palm Device sync.

- Tim

Kaena
06-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Hi Arch,

The primary advantage to having DejaOffice sync to the native Android databases is that so core phone functionality, like incoming calls and SMS, can see the contacts in order to display a caller ID when they call. There may also be other third party apps that work with the native contacts database as well.

In most cases, the native Android contacts database is linked to a Google account. Contacts you sync from DejaOffice to the native Android database will then sync up with Google, and vice-versa. You can choose to disable sync with Google (Android Settings, under Accounts and Sync) if you'd like to keep everything local.

Hope this clears things up,