PDA

View Full Version : ACT with IPhone 4

Gdogg6
03-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Has anyone used Companionlink and Deja Office to sync up their ACT software with their IPhone 4? I have used a Blackberry for a few years now, our company just switched over to iPhones yesterday. So far I really like the phone, but I don't really like the way the contacts come over.

I am using Companionlink and they suggested that I download DejaOffice to my iPhone and use it. I have downloaded DejaOffice and contacted Companionlink again, I am waiting for them to get back with me.

When I synced my iPhone over yesterday for the first time it gave me 3 options...to sync through a secure/private deal, through outlook, or through wifi. Our company does not have wifi, I have no idea what the first one is, so I chose outlook. It pulled everything over....but it didn't organize it very well. Take for instance, on my blackberry if I had John Doe as a contact along with a office number, cell phone, home phone, fax, etc.....it would just have one name and all those numbers under that name. With the iphone I have 4 John Does if there are that many numbers....so I have tons of duplicates. What a headache! Any suggestions on how to get rid of the duplicates???

Thanks,

G

Thomas
03-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Has anyone used Companionlink and Deja Office to sync up their ACT software with their IPhone 4? I have used a Blackberry for a few years now, our company just switched over to iPhones yesterday. So far I really like the phone, but I don't really like the way the contacts come over.

I am using Companionlink and they suggested that I download DejaOffice to my iPhone and use it. I have downloaded DejaOffice and contacted Companionlink again, I am waiting for them to get back with me.

When I synced my iPhone over yesterday for the first time it gave me 3 options...to sync through a secure/private deal, through outlook, or through wifi. Our company does not have wifi, I have no idea what the first one is, so I chose outlook. It pulled everything over....but it didn't organize it very well. Take for instance, on my blackberry if I had John Doe as a contact along with a office number, cell phone, home phone, fax, etc.....it would just have one name and all those numbers under that name. With the iphone I have 4 John Does if there are that many numbers....so I have tons of duplicates. What a headache! Any suggestions on how to get rid of the duplicates???

Thanks,

G

Hi G,

Please note the information below from our website:
CompanionLink cannot sync directly to the iPhone via USB. This methods syncs ACT! data to Microsoft Outlook. iTunes is then able to sync contacts and calendar to the iPhone from Outlook.

I suggest you check out a white paper that was drawn up by companionLink. I think it might be very helpful to set some expectations about what is different now.
http://www.companionlink.com/whitepapers/blackberry-to-iphone-migration.html

The two major sync method options that most CompanionLink SW customers use with an iPhone are WiFi (not available to you) or Secure Hosted Sync. This is a subscription service provided by CompanionLink SW.
More information is available here:
http://www.companionlink.com/products/wirelesssync.html

It sounds like you may have some ongoing questions but I hope the resources I provide will help out.
Let us know if you still need more input.

Gdogg6
03-02-2011, 10:21 AM
First off, thank you very much for the white paper, very helpful!

Next, I have wifi at home, and I think we will be adding it here at the office soon. Would that help eliminate some of my duplicates? Is the secured hosted sync more reliable than the wifi? Will either of these options be better than doing the outlook sync?

Thanks,

Grant

Thomas
03-02-2011, 11:00 AM
First off, thank you very much for the white paper, very helpful!

Next, I have wifi at home, and I think we will be adding it here at the office soon. Would that help eliminate some of my duplicates? Is the secured hosted sync more reliable than the wifi? Will either of these options be better than doing the outlook sync?

Thanks,

Grant

Grant,
The Sync method is less important than the actual setup and configuration.

If you have your PIM backed up and absent of duplicates, I would Set COmpanionLink Setup to do a Purge and Reload, then sync.
It will overwrite your iPhone with all the data from your PIM.

Here are some things I have learned about iPhones and syncing burned down a bit.
I try to approach the iPhone and Android platforms from this perspective...
They are consumer tools that require third party solutions for Business use.

The iPhone is designed to physically connect to one computer with iTunes and sync data from a Mac system or PC with Outlook.
However the primary sync technology focus from Apple is designed for consumers to purchase Media Content and Sync it to their iPhone. (This is where the money is for Apple.)
Apple in general is not likely to get too deeply invested in advanced sync functions with Outlook or other PIM's because a single change from Microsoft or another developer like Sage can then generate millions of support requests to Apple. That is a tenuous situation to be in. I have experienced this firsthand. I used to be a manager for AppleCare iPhone division.

I hope this information helps

Gdogg6
03-02-2011, 02:36 PM
This may sound dumb....but I am when it comes to this stuff. What is PIM....would that be my database in ACT?

Thomas
03-02-2011, 03:01 PM
This may sound dumb....but I am when it comes to this stuff. What is PIM....would that be my database in ACT?

Yes PIM stands for Personal Information Manager.
Outlook
ACT!
Goldmine, Etc...

Are all PIM's

Gdogg6
03-02-2011, 03:43 PM
What a mess....ok, first of all, I found out what happened. I did the purge and reload and it didn't help, but I did the sync through outlook again. Long story fairly short, ACT is my main database, I have all the same contacts in outlook and more...from when coworkers send me v-cards, I will save them but won't put them over on ACT unless it is someone I need and want in my phone. So ACT is very organized, only contacts that I need and no duplicates. I had 922 contacts in ACT to be exact. When I synced via Outlook it pulled all my ACT contacts over, however it also pulled any additional ones over from Outlook. I had a few contacts with misspellings in Outlook and it pulled them over as well, a couple contacts who had gotten married and have since changed names, they were pulled over with the old last name. Not only did it pull them over into my iphone, but it also placed them in my ACT. So I had 1180 contacts in ACT, so I spent all afternoon going through and deleting all of that stuff....fun fun.

I am done trying to sync with outlook, I will take my computer home tonight and sync through my home wireless network. Hopefully by avoiding outlook all together it will be a much cleaner sync!

Any thoughts or suggestions on that?

Once I do the sync and get my contacts to my phone, how do I go about using DejuOffice?

Thanks,

Grant

Thomas
03-02-2011, 04:01 PM
What a mess....ok, first of all, I found out what happened. I did the purge and reload and it didn't help, but I did the sync through outlook again. Long story fairly short, ACT is my main database, I have all the same contacts in outlook and more...from when coworkers send me v-cards, I will save them but won't put them over on ACT unless it is someone I need and want in my phone. So ACT is very organized, only contacts that I need and no duplicates. I had 922 contacts in ACT to be exact. When I synced via Outlook it pulled all my ACT contacts over, however it also pulled any additional ones over from Outlook. I had a few contacts with misspellings in Outlook and it pulled them over as well, a couple contacts who had gotten married and have since changed names, they were pulled over with the old last name. Not only did it pull them over into my iphone, but it also placed them in my ACT. So I had 1180 contacts in ACT, so I spent all afternoon going through and deleting all of that stuff....fun fun.

I am done trying to sync with outlook, I will take my computer home tonight and sync through my home wireless network. Hopefully by avoiding outlook all together it will be a much cleaner sync!

Any thoughts or suggestions on that?

Once I do the sync and get my contacts to my phone, how do I go about using DejuOffice?

Thanks,

Grant

Sounds like you are on the right track. DejaOffice is pretty flexible. It can be used as your primary interface for all your Contacts Calendars Tasks and Notes. One thig I do is keep my personal Calendars separate. My native iPhone Calendar syncs with my gmail and my DejaOffice Calendar is from My Outlook Sync.

I would suggest start using it and ask questions of you have any.

Have fun,

Gdogg6
03-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Ok....I took my computer home and tried the wifi sync. I had some issues but Companionlink sent me some things to try via email. I went through those steps and then for the most part the sync took place. All of my ACT contacts are now in DeJaOffice and there are not any duplicates which is great! However, I did put down to do a purge and reload....but all of my contacts (along with duplicates) are still in my regular contacts folder on my phone. Is there a way to get all of those contacts in the regular contacts deleted? Also, how do I point my phone to use DejaOffice for my phone book (like when someone calls their contact in DeJaOffice shows up on my phone instead of the listing in the other contacts). Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

Thomas
03-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Ok....I took my computer home and tried the wifi sync. I had some issues but Companionlink sent me some things to try via email. I went through those steps and then for the most part the sync took place. All of my ACT contacts are now in DeJaOffice and there are not any duplicates which is great! However, I did put down to do a purge and reload....but all of my contacts (along with duplicates) are still in my regular contacts folder on my phone. Is there a way to get all of those contacts in the regular contacts deleted? Also, how do I point my phone to use DejaOffice for my phone book (like when someone calls their contact in DeJaOffice shows up on my phone instead of the listing in the other contacts). Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

Hi Grant,

There is no way to remove the Contacts from the native iPhone Contacts application at this time.
DejaOffice for iPhone uses a shared Contacts database with the Native iPhone Contacts Database. The long term goal is to have a separate Contacts database.

DejaCal, DejaTasks and DejaNotes are all stored inside of the DejaOffice database.

Paul Rizzo
08-22-2012, 04:23 PM
How can I combine the ACT database and Iphone 4s database so I have acess to them for other functions like copy and paste?

Thomas
08-23-2012, 07:58 AM
How can I combine the ACT database and Iphone 4s database so I have acess to them for other functions like copy and paste?

Paul,

I am assuming you have your ACT! Data synced to DejaOffice and there are also other contacts in your Apple Contacts application you would like synced with the contact data that is now in DejaOffice.

Follow these steps:
1. Open DejaOffice
2. Tap Settings>Sync
3. Select the Sync with Apple's Contacts.
4. Tap the Sync Settings option directly below it and verify you have selected the correct database. (Most users only have one)

The result of this setting change will be that all your ACT! Contact records in DejaOffice will be synced to your Apple Contact application, and all the Contact records in the iOS Contact application will be synced to DejaOffice and possibly back to ACT! depending on your Sync Settings in CompanionLink.