PDA

View Full Version : Search on accented letters

mizius
03-01-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm a big fan of DejaOffice and after using it for a while I would like to make a suggestion on how to improve the search function. This has to do with usage of accented letters that is common in many non-English alphabets that are based on the English alphabet. This feature (an option) would be a tremendous time saver for individuals that use a combination of non-English and English spellings throughout DejaOffice (contacts, calendar, notes, tasks). Basically the idea is for the search to treat accented letters that have a direct corresponding non-accented English letter as if they were one and the same. For example any of the following name searches (this is in Polish):

- Chadzynski, or
- Chądzynski, or
- Chadzyński, or
- Chądzyński

should find ALL of the above instances of the name.

In case of the Polish language (which I happen to use quite often) there are accented versions of letters: A, C, E, L, N, O, S and Z in upper and lower cases but there are others in other languages and some of these use different forms of accents for the same letter. An option like this would make the tool that much more useful for the international users, particularly in Europe. I know firsthand how useful such a feature is because I used it in a similar scenario on a Palm app on my old Treo and it was an incredible time saver (so really this is not my original idea :p).

Thanks for listening!

P.S. If you feel that this is important then please do post a comment on this thread:o