PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Sync & Task sync issues

Matt_CLtoDJOiPhone
03-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Using DJO 1.1.7 on iphone 4, two days left on CompanionLink to Outlook Trial (version 4.0 bld 4031) with two issues holding me back from finalizing the purchase:
1) Wireless Sync - About every-other sync I get the 'unable to connect' message so I restart DJO or change to "Secure Hosted Sync" and then back to "WiFi Sync" to restart the sync manager (found as solution in previous posts). Seems like it may have to do with going somewhere else and connecting to a different WiFi network and then returning to my office network. I have confirmed that the sync IP address stays the same. Any new solutions or ideas?

2) Twice now, between syncs, I read (did not 'edit') a task on my iphone but edited/changed the task on my desktop and when I sync the old iphone task overwrites the Outlook task on the desktop. Should this be the case?

Thanks,

Matt

Thomas
03-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Using DJO 1.1.7 on iphone 4, two days left on CompanionLink to Outlook Trial (version 4.0 bld 4031) with two issues holding me back from finalizing the purchase:
1) Wireless Sync - About every-other sync I get the 'unable to connect' message so I restart DJO or change to "Secure Hosted Sync" and then back to "WiFi Sync" to restart the sync manager (found as solution in previous posts). Seems like it may have to do with going somewhere else and connecting to a different WiFi network and then returning to my office network. I have confirmed that the sync IP address stays the same. Any new solutions or ideas?

2) Twice now, between syncs, I read (did not 'edit') a task on my iphone but edited/changed the task on my desktop and when I sync the old iphone task overwrites the Outlook task on the desktop. Should this be the case?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

1) I used to me a manager for iPhone AppleCare support. There are some odd things that can happen with an iPhone in general when moving form one WiFi hotspot to another. That's not an excuse just something I know from experience and that seems to be something you have noticed as well.

2) Did you read the message in DejaOffice or on the PC desktop? I would open Outlook setting in CompanionLink and go to the Applications tab. You should be able to custom configure how you want this to behave during the sync from there. You can designate a primary database from there.

I hope this helps.

Matt_CLtoDJOiPhone
03-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks Thomas - Re 2) I neglected to mention that Outlook is set as the primary database because I thought that only applied to 'deleted records'. Are you saying that should be the default for handling conflict resolution (record edited in both locations)? Also, keep in mind, I did not 'edit' (button) the record on my iphone, only viewed it. Does DJO/CL consider that a conflict with the edited version on the desktop? I just need to know what to expect (if ... then...), so I can be comfortable before making the purchase. I don't want to have to keep checking after each sync. Thanks again.

Thomas
03-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks Thomas - Re 2) I neglected to mention that Outlook is set as the primary database because I thought that only applied to 'deleted records'. Are you saying that should be the default for handling conflict resolution (record edited in both locations)? Also, keep in mind, I did not 'edit' (button) the record on my iphone, only viewed it. Does DJO/CL consider that a conflict with the edited version on the desktop? I just need to know what to expect (if ... then...), so I can be comfortable before making the purchase. I don't want to have to keep checking after each sync. Thanks again.

Hi Matt,

I hear you about just wanting to know. So here is how it works.
1.In CompanionLink open Outlook Settings
2.Select the Applications Tab.
The top portion of this tab is for selecting sync rules for new and edited records.
The Primary Database settings are for managing deleted records.
I think you had it right from the beginning.

On a humorous side...
If you ever get to the point where you stop checking a sync you will be way ahead of me. I have been Testing sync software technology off and on since 1999. I think one of the reasons I never relax around it is when you test, you are always looking for the one thing that went wrong. I will stay nervous so you folks don't have too. How does that sound?

Thomas
03-03-2011, 10:32 AM

I can honestly say that the data integrity of CompanionLink is solid! I will acknowledge there have been some moments of fear expressed by customers here on the forums. However, dataloss is incredibly rare especially for users that take simple and standard precautions.

Matt_CLtoDJOiPhone
03-03-2011, 12:18 PM
I appreciate your confidence and perspective, it helps. Because I had the specific occurence (editted & saved the record in Outlook / hit sync to get it on my iphone / iphone record overwrote the Outlook record / Settings set to two way sync), for me to get to that confidence I would like to know:
a) During syncing, what is the conflict resolution rule if a record (task) has been edited on both phone & Outlook and the sync setting is set to "both ways"?
b) should a record that's only been 'viewed' (not hit the "edit" button) in DJO create a conflict / does it somehow look like it had been editted to the sync process?

I really don't want to set it for one-way sync because that is very limiting, but I need to understand what is suppose to happen. Thanks again!

Thomas
03-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I appreciate your confidence and perspective, it helps. Because I had the specific occurence (editted & saved the record in Outlook / hit sync to get it on my iphone / iphone record overwrote the Outlook record / Settings set to two way sync), for me to get to that confidence I would like to know:
a) During syncing, what is the conflict resolution rule if a record (task) has been edited on both phone & Outlook and the sync setting is set to "both ways"?
b) should a record that's only been 'viewed' (not hit the "edit" button) in DJO create a conflict / does it somehow look like it had been editted to the sync process?

I really don't want to set it for one-way sync because that is very limiting, but I need to understand what is suppose to happen. Thanks again!

The standard default is to the most recent change made in this situation.