PDA

View Full Version : syncing and duplicate contacts

Alli
04-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Since this seems to be the first forum post ever...let me start by saying DjaOffice looks amazing.

I'm a huge CompanionLink fan and have been using it for quite some time, so this seemed to be a natural fit for me. I installed it, got everything set up and hit the sync button...and wound up with not just duplicate contacts, but quadruplicate contacts. (Yikes!)

I've tried a few different things now, and it seems that without hitting the sync button (on my iPhone), the calendar doesn't sync...but if I do press that button, my contacts instantly double and triple. Some of them create duplicates that only create an email address.

Could it be something with my Google account? Something on my iPhone? Something else that doesn't want me using DjaOffice?

DJOCTO
04-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Woot Alli! Please excuse our dust as we are setting up.

I'm going to have the QA team look into it for a bit. It looks like something in the data stream is causing the sync to not complete. Since it is incomplete it restarts, which explains the dupes. Let me see if we can identify the issue from our side.

Thank you for contributing!

Wayland Bruns, CTO
DejaOffice Team

Alli
04-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the reply, Wayland! Looking forward to DejaOffice replacing my other attempts at calendaring on my iPhone. This is absolutely what many of us have been waiting for!

DJOCTO
04-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Alli, here's the scoop.

For Contacts, they are already coming from Google. DejaOffice uses the iPhone API for Contacts to incorporate them. So with CompanionLink Sync, just turn Contact Sync off. There's a checkbox for that.

For Calendar, I checked the wireless boxes online, and see from the data packet type that you are using an older version of CompanionLink. Best to download a spiffy new CompanionLink Professional Trial from the CompanionLink website. Set it to Calendar and Task sync only (turn off Contacts). This should get you a much better result.

Keep me posted how it goes.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
DejaOffice Team

Alli
04-06-2010, 01:28 PM
A spiffy new CompanionLink - woot! Evidently I can finally justify having bought the pro version in the first place. :)

Alli
04-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Quick update...updated CompanionLink. Unchecked Contacts, checked Tasks. Hit sync on the computer end. Calendar items still not syncing. Open DejaOffice on iPhone, tap sync...stare in horror as it tells me adding contacts....cancel sync...go to Google and remove duplicates. This is getting old. There must be something else I'm missing.

DJOCTO
04-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Alli, I should have warned. There was still a lot of data waiting from the prior syncs on April 4. I've cleaned it out now. So you can just run the sync on the phone. The only data waiting is Calendar and Tasks from April 6. Give a run!

Alli
04-06-2010, 07:39 PM
You're not gonna believe this.... Contacts came out alright, but now I've dups in my calendar events. LOL!!

DJOCTO
04-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Alli, on the PC side, from the main screen, select "Options" and then "Purge and Reload All". This will reset the Calendar/Tasks from the PC. See if that clears out the dupes.

Alli
04-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Curiouser and curiouser....when I sync Google to my Palm desktop I have the purge and reload option. When I sync to the iPhone, there is no purge and reload option.

DJOCTO
04-07-2010, 03:44 PM
It's not in the tabs. From the main window, at the top are three items: File, Options, Help. Hit the middle one "Options" and then Purge and Reload All.

I hope this information helps.

Alli
04-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Bingo! Looks good now. Let's see how I do on this as my primary calendar for a few days now. :)

DJOCTO
04-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Coolio! Keep us all posted!

Alli
04-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Will do. And thanks for all the help!!!

Paul
04-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Hi Alli, I am the same Paul who emailed you last week re iPhone envy and fear. And I think I first mentioned DejaOffice. I am trying it. Several points.

1. Three bugs already: a) In a calendar entry, there is a field for "contact". It doesn't link to contacts so I guess it's designed to just be informative. That's not my problem. I entered a contact and now can not delete it.

b) Of greater concern: sometime after entering a contact there is a noticeable delay after pressing Done. Several times, I have just pressed the button and exited DejaOffice. I think re-entering I did have the entry.

c) I can seem to get my trial of C-L to put date into D-O from outlook.

2. Another question: is anyone beside Alli and me using this? As far as I can tell, D-O is the only iphone PIM that will allow USB synching. Do you agree?

3. Do I have this correct? -- D-O offers more features than resident iPhone PIM features, notably recognizes a phone number even when not in a phone field (but rather notes).

4. Companionlink is needed for me because itunes will only synch Outlook to the resident iphone PIM, soooo if I'm willing to rely on you, I also need Companion link, right?

5. The $49.95 version will suffice for me, since I don't want wireless, right?

6. okay - I am a former sw product manager so I have some sense of what goes on behind the scenes, notably how little room for error there is for data synchronization, ESP when moving from one platform and/or OS to another. I really want this to work. Problem at work - I work in a secure facility so giving you remote access to my office desktop is not going to happen. But my laptop at home - we can talk although that might be tough during normal business hours. Not impossible but something we'd have to schedule. I'm willing.

Alli
04-16-2010, 01:13 AM
Hi Paul! It's funny, about a day after you mentioned DejaOffice, I saw it announced somewhere with a link so I figured I needed to take a closer look.

Weird that you're not getting contact linking. Mine definitely works.

I've been assuming (I know...bad thing to do) that the forums are empty because either no one has found them yet, or no one is having any problems with the product. I figure as much as I've talked up CompanionLink through various forums and websites over the last year that surely plenty of people were using it and could then benefit from DO.

Paul
04-16-2010, 09:02 AM
point 7 another bug - when I use the search function, the initial results appear above the keyboard, but I can only scroll a little bit. It refuses to keep scrolling. Yes, there definitely are more results. This of course makes searching something less than useful.

and a request - when will search work across D-O components so I find all results whether it be in calendar or contacts or notes or tasks, etc. IPhone's impedded search does this and it alone could be enough to send me back.

Paul
04-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Special to CLCTO administrator - Hi, please check out my two entries. Thanks.

DJOCTO
04-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Paul, welcome to the Forums.

First, I apologize in my delay responding, and also for the spam that got in this thread as a reply to you. Our forums are new, and we're already becoming aware there are spambots. Hopefully with some vigilance we can keep them at bay.

> 1. Three bugs already: a) b) c) I can seem to get my trial of C-L to put date into D-O from outlook.

I'm having my team look into A and B. On C, what kind of date is not coming over?

> 2. Another question: is anyone beside Alli and me using this? As far as I can tell, D-O is the only iphone PIM that will allow USB synching. Do you agree?

iPhone DejaOffice is an implementation of iClink which is a two year old product from CompanionLink. For 2010 we've come to accept that Apple will never get any better in the CRM arena. They are going to continue to target the facebook crowd. So we've shifted our focus to making iPhone do everything that old Palm OS does, and then add in features from Outlook and ACT! to make a Office suite for iPhone, iPad and Android.

iClink was just a sync destination for CompanionLink's products to support iPhone.

DejaOffice is a new platform, for "Office" functions beyond what the native apps support.

Not even DejaOffice will allow USB sync, because USB Sync is apparently still against the rules. We are looking to provide direct WiFi Sync. This will have no monthly fee, because it's just from your own PC, to your own iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. Last week we experience a small setback in our development time line. Currently we hope for beta WiFi sync in early May, with full release around May 19, 2010 for this feature.

Until then, please use the wireless. If you email me directly your wireless ID, I'll extend your account so there are no billings. This offer is open to everyone using DejaOffice. My direct email is wayland@companionlink.com.

> 4. Companionlink is needed for me because itunes will only synch Outlook to the resident iphone PIM, soooo if I'm willing to rely on you, I also need Companion link, right?

DejaOffice (DJO) can grab Contacts from any data source. So CompanionLink is not needed for Contacts.

For Calendar, word is out now on iPhone 4 SDK. So after June, we will be able to grab Calendar from any data source (so they say).

For Tasks you need CompanionLink, because iPhone lacks a native task application or sync system.

> 5. The $49.95 version will suffice for me, since I don't want wireless, right?

Yes. This will be the right product and price range for direct sync from Outlook to iPhone. For now this is in Beta so it's all free.

> point 7 and a request.

Noted and these will be improved and implement on the next update.

I hope this give some of the information you are looking for!

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.

Lisa
04-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Hello everybody!

1. Three bugs already: a) In a calendar entry, there is a field for "contact". It doesn't link to contacts so I guess it's designed to just be informative. That's not my problem. I entered a contact and now can not delete it.

b) Of greater concern: sometime after entering a contact there is a noticeable delay after pressing Done. Several times, I have just pressed the button and exited DejaOffice. I think re-entering I did have the entry.

The contact field is just informative. As for deleting the contact, this is a known issue, and the programmers are already looking in to it.
We are aware that some iPhones are having this delay; the programmers are already looking into it.

point 7 another bug - when I use the search function, the initial results appear above the keyboard, but I can only scroll a little bit. It refuses to keep scrolling. Yes, there definitely are more results. This of course makes searching something less than useful.

We're already working on a fix for this one.

and a request - when will search work across D-O components so I find all results whether it be in calendar or contacts or notes or tasks, etc. IPhone's impedded search does this and it alone could be enough to send me back.

This feature is already in the pipeline, and will be included in a future release.

Let us know if we've missed anything here, or if I've misunderstood the issues.

Nana
07-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Help! I'm having a similar problem with having 4 and 5 listings of each contact. I sync directly from my PC (Outlook) to my i phone. The other issue I'm having is with the calendar and category color coding. All the category color codes are listed in dejaoffice and they correspond to the category color codes listed in my Outlook calendar. But when I sync PC and i phone and open dejacal, the info is there but dejacal shows everything as 'no category/ gray'! Very boring and not too helpful. What do I do next?Or maybe a better question is, what am I doing wrong? Has anyone else had similar problems?

Eric
07-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi Nana. "No Category" is normal for the DejaCalendar events when you are using an iTunes wired sync. What happens here is that your Outlook calendar is synced to the iPhone calendar with iTunes, but the iPhone calendar doesn't keep track of categories, so when DejaCalendar is synced with the iPhone calendar, all the events come over as uncategorized (gray). This isn't the case with the CompanionLink Wi-Fi sync, which retains the categorization. As for the duplicates, is it possible that they are coming from another source, for example Microsoft Exchange or a Google account?

Nana
07-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Hi Eric,
Thank you for your response. I understand the 'no category ' problem when looking at the i phone calendar, but I did the USB sync using companionlink and it still came up the same way. Does that mean I can only sync via wi-fi? I don't know why the duplicates because I don't use either of the other 2 programs you mentioned. In order to use the Wi-Fi sync, which version of companionlink should I use? I want to be able to sync the i phone with both my PC and my laptop. I am especially concerned with being able to keep my calendar and contacts in sync between the 3 devices (i phone, PC and laptop). I really would appreciate a quick reply if possible. I'm going out of town and would like to make sure I have things set up right by tonight.

DJOCTO
07-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Nana, synchronizing two computers is something we support and definitely test out.

Co-incidentally I just has someone validate Wi-Fi Sync with two computers. It works great. This is the best solution for iPhone and a PC and Laptop.

Nana
07-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Wonderful! Now, please, which version of companionlink should I select? And once selected and installed, should I not use the USB to sync with my PC. I had an evaluation trial of companion link express. With it, I'd been opening i tunes, selecting my i phone and then using the USB would sync via the companionlink sync button, but as I indicated before, none of the categories transferred over from Outlook to i phone. I then called companionlink support to try and correct the problem and they referred me to you and dejaoffice.com.
Now I'm even more confused. Do I sync with companion link (version?), or with DJO?
Again, I'm delighted to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, but I need to hurry to get there.
Thanks for the help. I'll await your solution!

CLQATeam
07-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Nana-
You will need CompanionLink Express to sync via Wi-Fi. You will no longer need to sync via USB with iTunes, b/c as Eric discussed earlier this will not give you calendar categories - which is what you want. You can follow the setup guide found here to get started: http://www.companionlink.com/support/setup_iphone_wifi.html.

Katia
09-14-2010, 10:57 PM
On monday I synced my iPhone with outlook through the hosted wireless.
When a bit later I wanted to make a call, to my horror all my iPhone contact (not Deja contacts) were all duplicated.
I spent 30 minutes having to clean up my contact list.

Katia
09-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Hallo,

Could it be I have the same problem as Alli mentioned in April.
I have unchecked the contacts sync for my iPhone sync, but it's still syncing contact.
Might there still be data on your server?
If so, could you erase it so I can resync.
Deleting for a second 30 min kind of removes the whole purpose of having this sync program.
Txs,
Katia