PDA

View Full Version : Adware in 1.11.2!

HowardPacker
04-05-2011, 10:11 PM
How dare you! :mad: After making all of us go through all of the painful issues with DJO, now you put ads in DJO.

What about those of us that have paid for Companionlink? Doesn't our payment warrant no ads when we launch your app? Don't you think that you should have told us that you would insert ads into DJO before we paid for Companionlink?

Remove these ads at once!

Kaena
04-06-2011, 10:56 AM
You can disable the ads by following these steps:
1. Open DejaOffice
2. Go to Settings then General Settings
3. Uncheck Enable Advertising

HowardPacker
04-06-2011, 09:25 PM
While I am thankful to at least be able to turn them off, they should not be there in the first place.

Thomas
04-07-2011, 08:28 AM
While I am thankful to at least be able to turn them off, they should not be there in the first place.

[AB44977] In April 2011 we have added Ads to DejaOffice. We are looking at gently monetizing our cost of
development on this platform. While PC Sync is a paid product, our handheld side has been free.

If you don't like the ads, in DejaOffice you can easily turn them off. Here's how.

1. Open DejaOffice
2. Go to Settings then General Settings
3. Uncheck Enable Advertising

In the future, we may "raise the bar" by having a in app payment or using the PC Software to subsidize the handheld side
development. For now, there is no charge to turn off advertising within DejaOffice.

I hope this information helps.

TrainingToWin
04-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Howard has made some good points... and there was NOTHING "gentle" about this.
Most of us have not only paid for CompanionLink but we've also
helped (generally in many positive ways) with the development feedback and
enduring the growing pains of DJO.

If you need to generate additional revenue, then find some other ways to
do it with other PC Apps or increasing prices on new users on other platforms
other new users down the road.
Just come up with a better pricing and marketing strategy... ads are not it.

At a time when you should be thankful for starting to win over some customers
it's not a good thing to leave them with the feeling they've been betrayed. :mad:

Finally if adware is likely to appear in any app, you have an obligation to show
it on the screen shots on your web site and the app stores. Otherwise, you're
misleading your prospective customers.

Mark
Now, a very unhappy user

Thomas
04-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Howard has made some good points... and there was NOTHING "gentle" about this.
Most of us have not only paid for CompanionLink but we've also
helped (generally in many positive ways) with the development feedback and
enduring the growing pains of DJO.

If you need to generate additional revenue, then find some other ways to
do it with other PC Apps or increasing prices on new users on other platforms
other new users down the road.
Just come up with a better pricing and marketing strategy... ads are not it.

At a time when you should be thankful for starting to win over some customers
it's not a good thing to leave them with the feeling they've been betrayed. :mad:

Finally if adware is likely to appear in any app, you have an obligation to show
it on the screen shots on your web site and the app stores. Otherwise, you're
misleading your prospective customers.

Mark
Now, a very unhappy user

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your feedback. I want you to know that your upset is heard. It sounds as if you object to the direction on principle. I will gently point out that the fact that the DejaOffice website for months prior to this change openly indicated that ads would eventually be placed in the free version. This wasn't something we just snuck in under the radar. It has been part of the plan for some time.

S1m3R
04-11-2011, 05:34 PM
To have this just appear in the app with a update - holy smoke guys you can't be that tone deaf. it feels totally wrong. I've never had anything like that happen and I've been at this game since the early days with a newton. I've bought 100's of apps.

So when i follow your steps and turn the things off will you turn them on again latter?

Thomas
04-12-2011, 02:50 PM
To have this just appear in the app with a update - holy smoke guys you can't be that tone deaf. it feels totally wrong. I've never had anything like that happen and I've been at this game since the early days with a newton. I've bought 100's of apps.

So when i follow your steps and turn the damn things off will you turn them on again latter?

Hi S1,

Like we always do, we will keep you informed of all the options available, listen to your concerns and respond professionally. I respect your viewpoint and the fact that you are upset. I disagree with the suggestion that we are tone deaf.

There are thousands of standalone DejaOffice users, many of whom we provide complimentary support to every day.
Our customers pay for CompanionLink and we sincerely appreciate having all of your business, support, and feedback. We provide free support and ongoing development for both CompanionLink and DejaOffice. Everyone who has downloaded DejaOffice has done so for free. We posted on our website from the original release of DejaOffice that Ads would be included eventually and that they could be turned of by paying for DejaOffice. There are now ads in DajaOffice that anyone can turn off and no we are not charging for DejaOffice at this time.

I hope this information helps clarify what our position has been from the beginning on this matter.

S1m3R
04-13-2011, 06:49 PM
that helps. I saw the two products as one product. So I know you guys live this software everyday. I didn't look through everything on the web site. once i understood that it had the function of sync'ing with outlook i went with it. So my point - it might make sense from your perspective and now that i've bothered to come to the forum and duke it out with you i understand. how about the other 90% of your customers? maybe an email informing people? i don't know how you would do it but i'm just telling you it caught me by surprise and it felt slimy. I didn't have to come back here to get unslimed (IE understand you). Most won't.

HowardPacker
04-13-2011, 09:39 PM
I am not being intentionally rude, but I just don't buy the developer's point on this issue. Before getting my Epic in 2010, I had various Palm Treos going back to like 2001 (I could be slightly off about the time frame). I paid for Companionlink, I never had to download anything or get an app for my phone, and it never failed me. When a Companionlink update came, I paid for it, and everything continued to work as I got other phones.

Now, we have to get DJO on our phones. Okay, the operating system is different, and there is a need for a phone app in order to carry out the synch. That I can understand.

However, what I don't understand is why the cost for that app should not be included in Companionlink, and why ads are being introduced into the picture. After all, people buy Companionlink for one basic purpose: to synch onto their smartphones. If there is a module, such as DJO, that is required in order to accomplish that purpose, then the download should be included in that fee IMHO.

Please don't become like the airlines. I want to pay one price for my ticket and reasonable uses associated with your service. Don't start charging me for my bag when I arrive at the airport, the nuts when I get on the plane, and the rest. I don't care if the final totals equal the same on the ala carte menu versus the one time payment plan. I just don't want to keep on having to stop what I am doing, pull out my wallet, and then pay yet again for something else when I could have just been told the full amount, and could have paid for that once up front.

Thomas
04-14-2011, 08:38 AM
that helps. I saw the two products as one product. So I know you guys live this software everyday. I didn't look through everything on the web site. once i understood that it had the function of sync'ing with outlook i went with it. So my point - it might make sense from your perspective and now that i've bothered to come to the forum and duke it out with you i understand. how about the other 90% of your customers? maybe an email informing people? i don't know how you would do it but i'm just telling you it caught me by surprise and it felt slimy. I didn't have to come back here to get unslimed (IE understand you). Most won't.

Hi S1,

I feel ya. I really do. I am not sure if you have read the other threads regarding this subject. You recommended an mass email. The consistent feedback we have received when we were sending email notifications is that many of our customers consider it spam and are upset with us attempting it...

http://www.dejaoffice.com/forums/showthread.php?1313-DejaOffice-v1.11.2-now-available-in-the-Android-Market