PDA

View Full Version : DejaOffice automatically tries to sync whenever I modify the SD card??

tbessie
07-04-2010, 12:44 AM
Hello all...

Whenever I modify a file on my SD card (at least, in my tests, I had been modifying files in a 'ringtones' folder on the SD card, which is how I noticed this issue), after I'm done with the modifcation, DejaOffice launches and tries to run a local sync.

Why would any SD card modification trigger this to happen? It is most disconcerting, since I'm not doing anything that has anything to do with DejaOffice data.

- Tim

Eric
07-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi Tim. DejaOffice doesn't pay attention to what you are modifying on your SD card, so no worries there. Maybe your last DejaOffice sync was interrupted, and so DejaOffice is trying to wrap things up? In that case, when your SD card is "unmounted" or when you disconnect the USB cable, DejaOffice will try to finish its sync.

tbessie
07-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi Tim. DejaOffice doesn't pay attention to what you are modifying on your SD card, so no worries there. Maybe your last DejaOffice sync was interrupted, and so DejaOffice is trying to wrap things up? In that case, when your SD card is "unmounted" or when you disconnect the USB cable, DejaOffice will try to finish its sync.

Indeed not. I am using the "Astro" file browser. I go onto the SD card and change the name of a folder on the SD card, or the extension of a file within one (this is a "Ringtones" folder, and files within it). As soon as I exit the "Edit" use case for the file or folder, DejaOffice pops up automatically and says "Synchronizing..." and "Updating Calendar..." etc. and finally "Sync Complete (date)" with an OK button.

This happens EVERY time I rename a file or folder using Astro file browser.

Perhaps Astro is unmounting and remounting the SD card?

- Tim

Eric
07-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Tim, we'll take a look at Astro on one of our test devices to see how/if it affects DejaOffice. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

tbessie
07-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Tim, we'll take a look at Astro on one of our test devices to see how/if it affects DejaOffice. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Thanks Eric! Yeah, I'm pretty sure that must be what's happening.
Maybe it only happens with "special" files/folders, like ringtones. I haven't tested that yet.

- Tim

Eric
07-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Tim, we're trying to replicate this issue, but can't so far. I have a few questions for you... What kind of Android do you have? What Android OS is it running? And what app did you use to create the "Ringtones" folder? And what exactly are you changing in this folder? What's the path to the file/folder that you are changing?

tbessie
07-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi Eric...

I can duplicate this very easily. I'm running Android 2.2 on a Nexus One.

All I have to do is to open Astro, for example, and anywhere on the sd card, create a folder.
Then delete the folder.

As soon as the folder delete is complete, the current app switches to DejaOffice, and the "Synchronizing" popup appears.

Doesn't happen for you?

- Tim

Eric
07-13-2010, 05:43 PM
It sounds like the DejaOffice sync process isn't completing, but later while you're using Astro, DejaOffice (in the background) sees what it needs to see in order to wrap up the sync. With DejaOffice on Froyo (Android 2.2), you need to make sure that you "Turn off USB storage" after the PC part of the sync completes. This is what DejaOffice is waiting for in order to finish the last part of the sync. If you aren't turning off USB storage, my guess is that Astro is (and then DejaOffice wraps things up). Try running a DejaOffice sync, and then after the PC part of the sync completes, turn off USB storage, and you should see that DejaOffice goes through the last part of the sync. After that is finished, try using Astro, and my bet is that you won't see this behavior.

tbessie
07-14-2010, 02:15 AM
It sounds like the DejaOffice sync process isn't completing, but later while you're using Astro, DejaOffice (in the background) sees what it needs to see in order to wrap up the sync. With DejaOffice on Froyo (Android 2.2), you need to make sure that you "Turn off USB storage" after the PC part of the sync completes. This is what DejaOffice is waiting for in order to finish the last part of the sync. If you aren't turning off USB storage, my guess is that Astro is (and then DejaOffice wraps things up). Try running a DejaOffice sync, and then after the PC part of the sync completes, turn off USB storage, and you should see that DejaOffice goes through the last part of the sync. After that is finished, try using Astro, and my bet is that you won't see this behavior.

Hi Eric...

This happens time and time again, so it's not due to a previous sync condition.
That is, if I do the suggested activity (create/delete a folder with Astro) several times in a row, then DejaOffice syncs several times in a row. If this were due to a previous unfinished sync, the next sync should have taken care of it, right? But using Astro 3 times in a row, DejaOffice syncs 3 times in a row.

- Tim

Eric
07-14-2010, 08:44 AM
This is curious behavior, Tim. We'll take another look at it.

Eric
07-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Tim, we still can't replicate this. We think that there might be something in your DejaOffice database which causes DejaOffice to think that the sync isn't completing. We'd like to get a copy of your database for analysis, and I'll send you an email with instructions on how to send it in to us.