PDA

View Full Version : Droid / Google / Deskktop & DJO

chickenmonkey
06-29-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm a palm desktop (PD) user. Actually I went from using PD to Agendus. Then with the new Palm Pre, I had to go to google. I downloaded companionlink (CL) back then to sync Agendus with Google. I decided, that I it was too much of a hassle to use Agendus w/ Google because Google doesn't have the task feature. So, I didn't buy CL. I have tried over and over again to find an online task set up that I can use, but have been unsuccessful, then I saw DejaOffice (DJO). I think this will work for me and it will fix my task issue. But, the one thing I have gotten accustom to is updating my calendar via google. I can't use my personal phone at work. And it's really just easier for me to maintain my calendar via google when I'm at work.

Here's what I want to do, reinstall Palm Desktop (6.0) and start using it to work with DJO. I want to sync PD with DJO and DJO with Google --> Can this be done? (I searched posts, where there is some discussion, but nothing on how to set this up I saw one discussion on how someone see's her husbands google calendar on DJO, but I got lost and a bit confused.)

Will my previous trial download of CL be an issue with purchasing CL. Before I initially wanted it to sync from PD to Google. Now I want the purchase of CL for DJO/PD sync.

I downloaded DJO and I guess I wasn't paying attention but my stuff is now syncing to Google. How do I fix this? Or how do I properly set things up when I purchase compaionlink?

All my information is currently on Google. How do I transfer this to the desktop?

Thanks!

Kaena
06-29-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm a palm desktop (PD) user. Actually I went from using PD to Agendus. Then with the new Palm Pre, I had to go to google. I downloaded companionlink (CL) back then to sync Agendus with Google. I decided, that I it was too much of a hassle to use Agendus w/ Google because Google doesn't have the task feature. So, I didn't buy CL. I have tried over and over again to find an online task set up that I can use, but have been unsuccessful, then I saw DejaOffice (DJO). I think this will work for me and it will fix my task issue. But, the one thing I have gotten accustom to is updating my calendar via google. I can't use my personal phone at work. And it's really just easier for me to maintain my calendar via google when I'm at work.

Here's what I want to do, reinstall Palm Desktop (6.0) and start using it to work with DJO. I want to sync PD with DJO and DJO with Google --> Can this be done? (I searched posts, where there is some discussion, but nothing on how to set this up I saw one discussion on how someone see's her husbands google calendar on DJO, but I got lost and a bit confused.)

Will my previous trial download of CL be an issue with purchasing CL. Before I initially wanted it to sync from PD to Google. Now I want the purchase of CL for DJO/PD sync.

I downloaded DJO and I guess I wasn't paying attention but my stuff is now syncing to Google. How do I fix this? Or how do I properly set things up when I purchase compaionlink?

All my information is currently on Google. How do I transfer this to the desktop?

Thanks!

Good news! You can sync Palm Desktop direct with DJO and still have your calendar sync with Google. What you want to do is enable DejaOffice to sync with the Google calendar on your Android. Android will keep this in sync with your Google calendar (in the cloud).

To do this, open DejaOffice > DejaOffice Settings > Sync Settings > Enable Sync with Android Calendar app (make sure you select your Google account as the calendar account DJO will sync with). More info - http://www.dejaoffice.com/classroom/android/djoclassroom-sync.html#nativesync

Note: Before attempting this, you will want to clear out your Google account so that no records are duplicated.

chickenmonkey
07-05-2011, 10:07 AM
After I set up the sync w/ Google accounts. How do I sync with the USB to desktop? Sorry new to this and I'm a little confused.

Thomas
07-05-2011, 10:32 AM
After I set up the sync w/ Google accounts. How do I sync with the USB to desktop? Sorry new to this and I'm a little confused.

Hello chickenmonkey,

The link Kaena posted has instructions on how to setup the Sync between your phone and PC.
You can also use this:
http://www.companionlink.com/support/kb/Setup_Guide_-_Sync_Android_via_USB

chickenmonkey
07-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Ok I think I understand now. I set up a usb sync on compaionlink for the PC. Then on the phone I set up a sync for deja office to the android native device, where in the native device is syncs with google?

Thomas
07-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Ok I think I understand now. I set up a usb sync on compaionlink for the PC. Then on the phone I set up a sync for deja office to the android native device, where in the native device is syncs with google?

Chickenmonkey,

This can get a little confusing so lets start from the top. What exactly are you trying to sync with Google? CompanionLink syncs a lot of data form DejaOffice to the PC desktop that Google can't handle. So I ask this to try and figure out the best scenario for you.

chickenmonkey
07-05-2011, 10:57 PM
I want to go back to using my Palm Desktop. The main things I need in the desktop is the calendar, tasks and memos. I have google voice so I just need to know where my main source of contacts will be and which app to manage that with. The main preference for contacts is just the ability to update that via Google.

With the Deja Office being available. I want to sync PD with DJO. But, because I can't use my phone at work and I have access to being online, I need the ability to make changes to google calendar and have those changes to sync with DJO and PD.

I hope I didn't confuse you more. Thank you so much for trying.. sorry for not getting it. I do appreciate your patience.

Thomas
07-06-2011, 07:23 AM
I want to go back to using my Palm Desktop. The main things I need in the desktop is the calendar, tasks and memos. I have google voice so I just need to know where my main source of contacts will be and which app to manage that with. The main preference for contacts is just the ability to update that via Google.

With the Deja Office being available. I want to sync PD with DJO. But, because I can't use my phone at work and I have access to being online, I need the ability to make changes to google calendar and have those changes to sync with DJO and PD.

I hope I didn't confuse you more. Thank you so much for trying.. sorry for not getting it. I do appreciate your patience.

Hello ChickenMonkey,

I am going to repeat this back so you can either correct me or confirm I have this right.
You are at work and cannot open your phone. so you login to Google via a PC browser and add/edit you Calendar all day.

By updating Google at work the information automatically updates to your Android phone, and then from your phone you want to syn everything back to Palm Desktop.
Is that correct?

chickenmonkey
07-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Hello ChickenMonkey,

I am going to repeat this back so you can either correct me or confirm I have this right.
You are at work and cannot open your phone. so you login to Google via a PC browser and add/edit you Calendar all day.

By updating Google at work the information automatically updates to your Android phone, and then from your phone you want to syn everything back to Palm Desktop.
Is that correct?

Yes sir that is correct.

Thomas
07-06-2011, 02:50 PM
OK,

We can do that but you need to be aware of some potential problem areas and I will suggest some workarounds for you.

CompanionLink does not suggest Syncing your Android Contacts and Calendar with Google in the cloud, and then syncing the same information into DejaOffice and then sync DejaOffice two ways with your PC. Long story short is Google handles data formatting differently than the rest of the world and problems will arise. (There is a reason why the Android platform does not offer a PC sync solution.) We just need to be aware of this so things don't get too complicated.

Workarounds to this problem:
Update google via a web browser at work and as a result it will update your Android Phone. Sync Native Android COntacts and Data to DejaOffice and then...
Only Sync one way from the DejaOffice to Palm Desktop. If the information flows in on direction consistently it will keep it sanitized.

Or you could get CompanionLink Pro which allows multiple Sync profiles.
Sync Profile 1:
Google to Palm Desktop directly. Alll your updates to Google at work will Sync to your PC and to Palm Desktop.

Profile 2:
Sync Palm Desktop to DejaOffice on your Android Phone.

Some options to consider.

chickenmonkey
07-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Workarounds to this problem:
Update google via a web browser at work and as a result it will update your Android Phone. Sync Native Android Contacts and Data to DejaOffice and then...
Only Sync one way from the DejaOffice to Palm Desktop. If the information flows in on direction consistently it will keep it sanitized.

I'd like to try the workaround first. What do you mean by one way from DJO to Palm? Meaning only sync by USB?