View Full Version : Explanation for different sync options needed

lockpicking
07-07-2011, 05:14 AM
Hello,
there are 3 main sync options I do not understand:
1. Reread Outlook Data on next Sync
2. Reread Android Data on next Sync
3. Purge and Reload Contacts/Calendar/Tasks/Notes

For number 1 and 2 I did not find any explanation.
For number 3 I found an explanation on CompanionLink support page:
This option prompts on the next sync for the information on your PDA to be cleared, and the information from Outlook will then be synced to the phone. This option is also available for Calendar, Tasks, and Notes.

But for me it sounds to be the same as Reread Outlook Data.

So, can someone explain these 3 options to me?
When do I use which of these?

Regards
Thomas

Thomas
07-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Hello,
there are 3 main sync options I do not understand:
1. Reread Outlook Data on next Sync
2. Reread Android Data on next Sync
3. Purge and Reload Contacts/Calendar/Tasks/Notes

For number 1 and 2 I did not find any explanation.
For number 3 I found an explanation on CompanionLink support page:
This option prompts on the next sync for the information on your PDA to be cleared, and the information from Outlook will then be synced to the phone. This option is also available for Calendar, Tasks, and Notes.

But for me it sounds to be the same as Reread Outlook Data.

So, can someone explain these 3 options to me?
When do I use which of these?

Regards
Thomas

Hello Lockpicking,

There are some small but important distinctions between a reread and a Purge N Reload.
It has to do with how CompanionLink will look only for changes after the initial sync, unless the user specifically sets a Reread or Purge n Reload.
Purge N Reload completely wipes out the data in DejaOffice and reloads it from the PC (Outlook or another data manger). So it is a fresh push of data from the PC.
Re Read bypasses CompanionLink's process of only syncing changes and will completely reread the database selected.
1 = Outlook database completely scanned by CompanionLink and if any changes are detected they are pushed to DejaOffice.
2 = CompanionLink completely rereads the DejaOffice data and pushes any changes to the PC. In your case Outlook.
Both of these types of syncs take considerably longer, and are primarily used as a troubleshooting tool if something is missing.
It might help if you think of it this way, a reread is a gentler procedure than a Purge N Reload, because it does not completely rewrite the database file.

I hope this helps.

McLion
07-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Can I add a question regarding syncing as well: What exactly does the "Transfer cleared records" on the General Stettings Tab in CL set?

Thomas
07-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Can I add a question regarding syncing as well: What exactly does the "Transfer cleared records" on the General Stettings Tab in CL set?

Hello McLion,

The Cleared Records feature was originally programmed for ACT! users. If you use Outlook or another data manger think Completed Records, like a calendar event or Completed Task. If selected, Cleared/Completed events will sync to your handheld.

Philistine
07-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Some of us prefer to do a purge and reload operation by default, which means we have to set up the purge/reload option in Companion Link for every sync operation.

Would it be possible to allow the user to select the preferred sync operation (individually for each type of data - calendar, tasks etc.) in Companion Link and for the selected options to "stick" until changed again by the user?

Regards,

Philistine

RTraw
07-16-2011, 12:30 AM
I use my Palm Desktop for all my memos, calendar and contacts. However, I do want that information on my phone (Motorola Droid) also. I know that if I sync my Palm desktop with Google, the contacts and (usually) the calendar will migrate over to Google and show up on my phone in the native android apps. And then I bring it into DejaOffice. This seems to be a very clumsy process. I'm trying to figure out the best way to Sync my DJO with my Palm Desktop/Google contacts (Google calendars would just be a bonus). Somewhere in the process I lose my category associations in DJO and they all need to be re-assigned again. Can anybody just lay out a process toSync better? I'm not clear when it's appropriate to "Read Android Data" or purge or re-read? I generally only make my additions and edits on either my Palm Desktop or my phone but somehow I do find I've lost a contact or event here and there.

Thanks for any help I can get
Robyne

Ben
07-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Hi RTraw

An alternative would be to do the following:

1. Disable Google sync on your phone.
2. Install CompanionLink Pro on your PC, if you don't already have it.
3. Configure two profiles in CompanionLink Pro; one to sync between Palm Desktop and Google (you already have this one set up), and the other to sync between Palm Desktop and DejaOffice.

The advantage of this method is that it eliminates the Google <> Android part of the sync, which may give you more reliable results, since the native Google <> Android sync can sometimes behave in ways that we can't predict.

The disadvantage is that it requires you to sync twice. Once between Palm Desktop and DJO, and once between Palm Desktop and Google.

Tapping Read Android Data causes a synchronization between native Android and DejaOffice.

Purge and Reload is used in cases where you want to eliminate all data on the handheld device, and reload with all data from the PC. Usually used for troubleshooting, or for switching sync methods. Incidentally, you would want to use this on your first sync with the second profile in the steps above.