PDA

View Full Version : Category & Category-Name Limitations?

kxxxk
07-14-2011, 09:41 PM
I will be using DO on a Motorola Milestone 2, unlocked, unbranded, as a PDA (believe this is a Droid 2) using CL to sync DO to Outlook 2003 under Win XP SP3:

Is there a limit on the number of OL Contact subfolders, to all levels, whose contacts can be synced?

Is there a limit on the number of OL Contact categories that can be synced?

Is there a limit on the number of characters in a category name in DO?

What punctuation marks are allowed in a category name in DO? (Numbers are allowed, no?)

Thanks. I appreciate this forum and your goals for DO.

kxxxk
07-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Let me put this issue another way that may make it easier to answer:

I have 100 - 200 Outlook (OL) 2003 Contacts sub-folders in 5 sub-levels. I use sub-folders in OL with a naming scheme, including numbers and punctuation, that puts them in the same order in the OL Address Book. As I do not use categories in OL, but synching with CompanionLink (CL) to DejaOffice (DO) does not keep contacts separate by sub-folder, I am thinking of assigning, in OL, a category to the contacts of each sub-folder that is essentially the name of the sub-folder, and using categories in DO the way I use sub-folders in OL. Therefore I am asking the above questions.

As a suggestion for the future, DO may get additional customers if DO used sub-folders in addition to categories and CL synched contacts sub-folder to sub-folder like Beyond Contacts does on my trusty but failing Palm Zire 72s.

Thomas
07-15-2011, 10:32 AM
I will be using DO on a Motorola Milestone 2, unlocked, unbranded, as a PDA (believe this is a Droid 2) using CL to sync DO to Outlook 2003 under Win XP SP3:

Is there a limit on the number of OL subfolders, to all levels, that can be synced?

Is there a limit on the number of OL categories that can be synced?

Is there a limit on the number of characters in a category name in DO?

What punctuation marks are allowed in a category name in DO? (Numbers are allowed, no?)

Thanks. I appreciate this forum and your goals for DO.

Hello kxxk,

Welcome to DejaOffice and our forums. Thank you foe the questions.

There are no limits to the number of Sub Folders you can sync...

There are no limits to the number of Categories you can sync. - Warning - We had a customer attempting to use over 250 categories and it did impact his ability to scroll effectively. But they all did sync to Outlook.

There are no limits to the number of characters in category name field.

Letters and numbers are fine. We have experienced issues with special characters including commas causing problems. These issues have been intermittent, random, and difficult to reproduce and fix.
- I offer you this information because it seems like your contact organization process is thorough and might include such characters.

Thomas
07-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Let me put this issue another way that may make it easier to answer:

I have 100 - 200 Outlook (OL) 2003 Contacts sub-folders in 5 sub-levels. I use sub-folders in OL with a naming scheme, including numbers and punctuation, that puts them in the same order in the OL Address Book. As I do not use categories in OL, but synching with CompanionLink (CL) to DejaOffice (DO) does not keep contacts separate by sub-folder, I am thinking of assigning, in OL, a category to the contacts of each sub-folder that is essentially the name of the sub-folder, and using categories in DO the way I use sub-folders in OL. Therefore I am asking the above questions.

As a suggestion for the future, DO may get additional customers if DO used sub-folders in addition to categories and CL synched contacts sub-folder to sub-folder like Beyond Contacts does on my trusty but failing Palm Zire 72s.

I like the idea of the Sub folder to sub folder sync. That has potential.

kxxxk
07-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Thomas,
Thank you for your replies.

"We have experienced issues with special characters including commas causing problems". Is there one punctuation mark that you recall not having issues with?

I might start with that one punctuation mark in the experiments I will be doing with a separate .pst file and reporting here. (Hopefully reporting here - I will leave email notification turned on so someone interested can rattle my cage if nothing is added in a month or so.)

In a sub-folder to sub-folder sync DO can probably get by with the sub-folders treated as the OL Address Book (and Beyond Contacts) treats them, without the tree aspects, just listing the names of the sub-folders in the same alphabetical way.

[Paragraph removed.]

Thomas
07-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Thomas,
Thank you for your replies.

"We have experienced issues with special characters including commas causing problems". Is there one punctuation mark that you recall not having issues with?

I might start with that one punctuation mark in the experiments I will be doing with a separate .pst file and reporting here. (Hopefully reporting here - I will leave email notification turned on so someone interested can rattle my cage if nothing is added in a month or so.)

In a sub-folder to sub-folder sync DO can probably get by with the sub-folders treated as the OL Address Book (and Beyond Contacts) treats them, without the tree aspects, just listing the names of the sub-folders in the same alphabetical way.

It might be time for DO to seriously consider allowing the scrolling of categories only (or scrolling sub-folders only). Then, when a category (sub-folder) is selected, scrolling only within that category (sub-folder). (Again, like OL Address Book and Beyond Contacts.) This is because, as you accumulate contacts over time, you think of needing a contact within a category (sub-folder) when a name does not occur to you. For example, "I need a plumber". Also, as you accumulate contacts over time the scroll list gets long and the recollection of the name and other details get fuzzy!

I like your idea of starting with just one and testing it. Programmer suggested only letters and numbers in this field. I feel it would be irresponsible on my part to recommend anything beyond that.

kxxxk
06-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Finally getting to set up Outlook Contacts on my computer for sync with Deja Office. Can Category Names _start_ with numbers?

Thanks (and this should be the last time I will bother you about this, although I still wish Deja Office would allow contacts from Outlook to appear in the equivalent of the sub-folders in which they are grouped in Outlook).

DejaKevin
07-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Finally getting to set up Outlook Contacts on my computer for sync with Deja Office. Can Category Names _start_ with numbers?
Yes. Alphanumeric characters can be used for Category Names.

Thanks (and this should be the last time I will bother you about this, although I still wish Deja Office would allow contacts from Outlook to appear in the equivalent of the sub-folders in which they are grouped in Outlook).

Although DejaOffice does not maintain a folder structure identical to Outlook's, you can use the Category Manager available in CompanionLink Professional to set up a sync with multiple folders that would create categories in DejaOffice based on each folder in Outlook. Click here for more about this. (http://www.companionlink.com/support/kb/How_to_sync_multiple_Outlook_folders_with_a_single _device)

kxxxk
07-29-2014, 05:22 PM
The use of Category Manager in CompanionLink Professional will save me the trouble of setting up a unique category for each subfolder in Outlook. Many thanks.