PDA

View Full Version : USB Sync Broken

Techwiz
07-24-2011, 09:04 AM
The gingerbread update (my phone says android version 2.3.4) for the Motorola Atrix 4G was just pushed out and Deja Office no longer detects that my USB cable is connected for USB sync. With my phone in USB mode "None" I tap Sync and Deja Office comes up and says "Please connect the USB cable to your PC before hitting the Sync button."

Here's the weird part. I hit OK on the error msg and then manually switch my phone to "USB Mass Storage" mode. Once the internal memory mounts, CompanionLink on my computer comes up and syncs like it normally does. Once CL is done, I put my phone back in "None" USB mode and DejaOffice magically pops up and completes the sync.

The gingerbread update must have changed something. Anyone else experiencing this?

rego
07-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Same here. Android updated to 2.3.3 today and now DJO won't sync (with Palm Desktop via USB). The PC recognizes that there's a new drive attached, but Companion Link never shows it's head. I will try what Techwiz suggests when I can. (This is not the only program on my EVO that is screwed up by the update.)

Thomas
07-25-2011, 01:04 PM
The gingerbread update (my phone says android version 2.3.4) for the Motorola Atrix 4G was just pushed out and Deja Office no longer detects that my USB cable is connected for USB sync. With my phone in USB mode "None" I tap Sync and Deja Office comes up and says "Please connect the USB cable to your PC before hitting the Sync button."

Here's the weird part. I hit OK on the error msg and then manually switch my phone to "USB Mass Storage" mode. Once the internal memory mounts, CompanionLink on my computer comes up and syncs like it normally does. Once CL is done, I put my phone back in "None" USB mode and DejaOffice magically pops up and completes the sync.

The gingerbread update must have changed something. Anyone else experiencing this?

Techwiz,

THanks for reporting the issue and the work around. I will look into this to see if there is a better process for getting around this issue, and or a fix we can implement.

Thomas
07-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Same here. Android updated to 2.3.3 today and now DJO won't sync (with Palm Desktop via USB). The PC recognizes that there's a new drive attached, but Companion Link never shows it's head. I will try what Techwiz suggests when I can. (This is not the only program on my EVO that is screwed up by the update.)

@ Rego,

Some users have reported that they needed to completely wipe n restore their device after updating to 2.3.3, in order to fix a number of issues discovered with various 3rd party apps.

CommanderLen
07-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the Band Aid fix. I hope a better solution is found.

Thomas
08-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the Band Aid fix. I hope a better solution is found.

Hello CommanderLen,

We can't help with the problems 2.3.3 creates with other third party apps. Some users have uninstalled DejaOffice, deleted the CLUSB folder form the SDCard reinstalled DejaOffice and done a Purge n Reload Sync. However many of them have reported needing to do a complete wipe n restore later to fix other third party issues. I hope that clarifies the statement made above and perhaps offers some less painful to options to some users.

Thomas
08-01-2011, 09:20 AM
We have a build in house being tested that is supposed to fix the Atrix USB sync issue. I will post a link to this build as soon as it is in beta for public consumption.

rego
08-17-2011, 07:19 AM
I wiped and restored my phone as advised. Now trying to set up wi-fi sync to palm desktop. Trying to follow directions on How to Disable Google Sync. On my EVO with Android 2.3.3 I go to Accounts & Sync, click on my Google account (under Manage accounts) and have 3 options:
Sync contacts
Sync Gmail
Sync Calendar

I can Sync Now or Remove Account. There are no check boxes. I don't want to sync with google, obviously, and it won't let me "remove account" because it is "required by some applications."

I'm afraid to sync, because I already had double contacts in the past and it took me many hours to remove them. Any suggestions?

McLion
08-17-2011, 07:25 AM
To see the check boxes on the three Google apps you need to enable the general Google sync option. Then it shows you the check boxes and you can enable/disabel separately for each app. Make sure you don't have any data connection while changing these settings to inhibit an accidental sync.

Thomas
08-17-2011, 08:29 AM
To see the check boxes on the three Google apps you need to enable the general Google sync option. Then it shows you the check boxes and you can enable/disabel separately for each app. Make sure you don't have any data connection while changing these settings to inhibit an accidental sync.

Rego and Mclion,

McLion's advice is spot on.
Once you get back to the Account settings, turn off Contact and Calendar Sync. Gmail sync is optional, if you want that turned on it will not affect DejaOffice in any way.

rego
08-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks so much. I got it to sync by wi-fi.

rego
08-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Well, I got a couple of wi-fi syncs, but now Companion Link (build 4022) says "Unable to connect to remote device." Will try USB sync tonight.

McLion
08-18-2011, 12:04 AM
I suggest to update to the latest CL version before going any further.

Thomas
08-18-2011, 06:44 AM
I suggest to update to the latest CL version before going any further.

McLion is right. Please update to CompanionLink build 4048.

rego
08-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks, now working again. I do really like and appreciate the many improvements you've made to these programs, esp. the calendar. And your very timely technical support. I've never experienced anything like it.

Thomas
08-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks, now working again. I do really like and appreciate the many improvements you've made to these programs, esp. the calendar. And your very timely technical support. I've never experienced anything like it.

Hello Rego,

Glad to hear things are back to normal. Thank you for the kind words about our development and support efforts. I will make sure to pass them along to the rest of the team.

wkwalker
08-20-2011, 10:36 AM
The gingerbread update (my phone says android version 2.3.4) for the Motorola Atrix 4G was just pushed out and Deja Office no longer detects that my USB cable is connected for USB sync...

I am having exactly the same problem with the same phone and the same android version. However, manually switching the phone to "USB Mass Storage" does not cause CompanionLink (build 4048) to pop up and the sync to complete. (My workstation is running Windows 7, 64-bit, which might make a difference.)

I get the same result with both DejaOffice 1.11.9 and the 1.12.0 beta.

I did discover I can get the phone to sync via USB if I have Settings>Sync Settings>Manual Sync Mode enabled.

rego
08-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Syncing with wi-fi (to Palm Desktop) I found that my IP address on my EVO was constantly changing, which was keeping wi-fi sync from working. So I tried to switch to USB sync, but Companion Link told me to sync from my phone, not the computer. But then after clicking Sync on my phone DJO would tell me to close DJO, which of course ended the sync. So I switched back to wi-fi, planning to just check my IP address before every sync. But I was hasty and didn't purge, as I was duly warned to do, and now I have all duplicated contacts.

So my question is--Is there an easier way to get rid of duplicate contacts than deleting them one by one? (I have over 1500, and I've deleted them individually already once a while back.)

Thanks if anyone can help. And I promise to try to quit fiddling with DJO.

Thomas
08-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Syncing with wi-fi (to Palm Desktop) I found that my IP address on my EVO was constantly changing, which was keeping wi-fi sync from working. So I tried to switch to USB sync, but Companion Link told me to sync from my phone, not the computer. But then after clicking Sync on my phone DJO would tell me to close DJO, which of course ended the sync. So I switched back to wi-fi, planning to just check my IP address before every sync. But I was hasty and didn't purge, as I was duly warned to do, and now I have all duplicated contacts.

So my question is--Is there an easier way to get rid of duplicate contacts than deleting them one by one? (I have over 1500, and I've deleted them individually already once a while back.)

Thanks if anyone can help. And I promise to try to quit fiddling with DJO.

Hello Rego,

Are your duplicates in Dejaoffice?
In Android Native contacts and or Calendar,
Are they in Palm Desktop?
Or are they in a combination of the above?
This will determine how we move forward on this.

rego
08-24-2011, 06:20 PM
DJO and Palm Desktop are exactly the same, with almost every entry duplicated. Android has almost every entry duplicated, but some entries are missing. (My DJO is set to sync with Android Contacts, altho I thought it wasn't.) DJO and Palm Desktop calendars are fine, thankfully!

Thomas
08-25-2011, 07:30 AM
DJO and Palm Desktop are exactly the same, with almost every entry duplicated. Android has almost every entry duplicated, but some entries are missing. (My DJO is set to sync with Android Contacts, altho I thought it wasn't.) DJO and Palm Desktop calendars are fine, thankfully!

Hello Rego,

I suggest restoring Palm Desktop from a backup in Dejaoffice. CompanionLink makes a backup of Palm Desktop after every sync. I would choose one prior to the duplicates showing up.
http://www.companionlink.com/support/kb/How_to_restore_Palm_Desktop_using_the_CompanionLin k_Palm_Backup_folder

After you data in Palm is restored to non duplicates I would purge N Reload the contacts.
1. Open CompanionLink Setup
2. Click on Palm Desktop Settings and select the applications tab.
3. Click the Purge and Reload Contacts button.
4. Click OK.
5. Sync your phone.

The Purge and reload will completely rewrite the DejaOffice Contacts database from the restored Palm Desktop contacts data. If Sync with Native Contacts is turned on during the Purge N Relaod, it will also rewrite the Native Android Contacts data with the the Palm Desktop Contacts data.

I hope this helps.