PDA

View Full Version : Deja Contacts to e-mail

msgpe
08-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi,
I don't know if I'm a little dense but it seems there should be a way to get the android e-mail app to use Deja Contacts when listing recipients in e-mails.
I have a Motorola Atrix and have been syncing my pc outlook contacts to DejaOffice which works great. How do I get the e-mail app to use those contacts? Is there even a way to do this? Help, please, anyone.

Thomas
08-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Hi,
I don't know if I'm a little dense but it seems there should be a way to get the android e-mail app to use Deja Contacts when listing recipients in e-mails.
I have a Motorola Atrix and have been syncing my pc outlook contacts to DejaOffice which works great. How do I get the e-mail app to use those contacts? Is there even a way to do this? Help, please, anyone.

Hello MSGPE,

It sounds like you are in the Native Android Email account and wishing to fill in emails of one or more DejaOffice Contact records in a single email. Is this correct?

msgpe
08-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Hello MSGPE,

It sounds like you are in the Native Android Email account and wishing to fill in emails of one or more DejaOffice Contact records in a single email. Is this correct?

Thomas,

I think that's what I'm trying to do but let me see if I can explain it any better to confuse you further. :-)
I have this new Motorola Atrix. Keep in mind that it's my first smartphone so have patience with me. The Atrix comes with an e-mail app which is set up to work with my comcast e-mail account. I use Outlook 2007 on my laptop for e-mail and contacts. I use google calendar for my calendar. Syncing the calendar is not a problem. What I want to do is use my outlook contacts in the e-mail app on the Atrix. I use DejaOffice and CompanionLink and can sync my outlook contacts into DejaContacts. Works slick. Even get all my catagories. My question is, how do I get the e-mail app to use the DejaContacts. I know I can initiate an e-mail from my DejaContacts but I usually send e-mails to groups of people and I can't seem to do that from the DejaContacts. I would be able to do this from my e-mail app contacts if I could populate it with the dejacontacts. Does this make any sense at all??

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

johnrosen2
08-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Thomas, MSGPE:

In order to do what you want to do, I think you need to sync with Android Contacts App on your smartphone. This is accomplished via a setting on the Deja Sync Settings menu. You will then be carrying two full sets of Contacts on your phone: One in the DejaOffice Contacts app and one in the Android Contacts. Here's a caution, however, syncing with Android Contacts App takes a long time, as Thomas has patiently explained to me. So, my own personal work around is to sync frequently WITHOUT syncing with Android Contacts App, which usually proceeds quickly and smoothly. Then, to keep the Android Contacts App up to date, I do a full sync with Android Contacts App "ON" abou tonce every 2-3 months.

Thomas
08-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Thomas, MSGPE:

In order to do what you want to do, I think you need to sync with Android Contacts App on your smartphone. This is accomplished via a setting on the Deja Sync Settings menu. You will then be carrying two full sets of Contacts on your phone: One in the DejaOffice Contacts app and one in the Android Contacts. Here's a caution, however, syncing with Android Contacts App takes a long time, as Thomas has patiently explained to me. So, my own personal work around is to sync frequently WITHOUT syncing with Android Contacts App, which usually proceeds quickly and smoothly. Then, to keep the Android Contacts App up to date, I do a full sync with Android Contacts App "ON" abou tonce every 2-3 months.

MSGPE,

John is right here.

We are all on the same page. That is exactly what I thought you were running up against.

The answer is you need to sync your Contacts in DejaOffice with the Native Android Contacts application. The default mail application on the Android can interact with the information after it is populated from DejaOffice to the Native Android Co ntacts Application.
The sync function is a two way sync only. This means that any contact records already populated in Native Android Contacts assigned the account you sync with will show up in DejaOffice. - I will explain that last sentence as I step out how to Sync DejaOffice Contacts with the Native Android Contacts Application.

I advise most users to Setup Dejaoffice to Sync with Native Android Contacts, and then do Purge and Reload Sync from CompanionLink. The Purge n Reload will rewrite the contact info form your PC in DejaOffice and in The native contacts application. This is especially important because your Atrix Phone does not allow you to clear the contents of the Contacts application unless you completely wipe and restore the phone to factory settings. That is like using a sledge hammer to kill an ant for most users.

The following steps will allow you to bring everything from your PC into DejaOffice, and into the Native Contacts app so they all reflect the same information.

STEPS:
1. On your PC Desktop open CompanionLink Setup.
2. Click on the Options Menu in the top left corner and select Purge and Reload All.
3. On your Atrix Phone open DejaOffice.
4. Tap Settings>Sync Settings.
5. Check the "Sync with Android App" box.
6. Tap the Contact Account Drop down.
7. Select a phone account to sync with. (We highly recommend selecting a google/gmail account for this.)
8. Save the setting and Exit DejaOffice. Go to the main Screen of your Android Phone.
9. From the main screen of your phone tap Menu>Settings>Accounts.
10. Tap the same account you selected in step #7.
11. Verify the Sync Contacts box is UN checked here. (We have to turn off Google Sync on the account you will be syncing your Contacts to.)
12. Save this setting.
13. Sync your phone with CompanionLink. (This may take quite a while as John pointed out above. This sync will completely rewrite the the database in DejaOffice, and write the contacts database to the Native Android Contacts app. Be patient, let it run its process. Your database size has a lot to do with how long it will take.)

If any of this is unclear please post so I can clarify.

msgpe
08-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Thomas and John,

I don't know how to thank you enough. It Worked!!!!!! I am eternally in your debt.
I'm going to try to sync. my google calendars (I have 7 of them) into dejacalendar. If I can't get it to work, I'll be posting another question:-)

johnrosen2
08-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Glad it worked! I think you'll find that the CompanionLink / DejaOffice solution is very good, once you figure out a few idiosyncracies like this one and get it all set up for your own personal preferences. And, if you run into problems, Thomas is the best QA/online help guy I've ever dealt with.