PDA

View Full Version : How to send emails / SMSs to one or several categories at once?

Chawki
08-22-2011, 03:40 AM
Hi,

I am to buy an iPhone 4, but syncing my contacts categories is important to me.

I have carefully read Dejaoffice website and understand how DejaOffice syncs categories.

Question: will I be able to select categories in my "To" field, in order to send a group email or SMS to my selected categories?

Thanks.

Thomas
08-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Hi,

I am to buy an iPhone 4, but syncing my contacts categories is important to me.

I have carefully read Dejaoffice website and understand how DejaOffice syncs categories.

Question: will I be able to select categories in my "To" field, in order to send a group email or SMS to my selected categories?

Thanks.

Hi Chawki,

As far as I recall, iPhone SMS has some limitations around that. I am going to do some testing today and get back to you with the breakdown on this.

Thomas
08-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Hi Chawki,

As far as I recall, iPhone SMS has some limitations around that. I am going to do some testing today and get back to you with the breakdown on this.

Hello Chawki,

At this time DejaOffice does not support syncing category data to the Native Contacts application. iOS supports groups, not categories. While for the end user the name seems to indicate similar behavior, behind the scenes there are significant differences. So if this is an important feature for you, you may want to look for a different smartphone platform or a different sync technology than DejaOffice.

I hope this information helps you make an informed decision on your next purchase.

Chawki
08-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Hi Thomas,

Thanks a lot for your guidance.

However, I don't mind not using the Native Contacts application, as long as contacts are properly synchronized with Outlook (including of course categories).

I have been looking for months for a phone with the following capacities in vain:
- physical Keyboard (native - HTC Desire Z, Nokia E7... - or through an external accessory - BoxWave Keyboard buddy case for iPhone or Samsung Galaxy SII...);
- contact categories synchronization with Outlook;
- bulk emailing / SMSing to one / several / all categories.

I really thought DejaOffice would enable me send group SMSs or emails to my contacts (through individual selection or category selection).

I had a WM 6.5 based mobile phone which was the perfect match: an HTC Touch Pro. I only had to install a tiny third part applicaation to enable group emails / SMSs using my categories. After it crashed, I replaced it with a Windows Phone 7 based device, thinking it would be an upgrade of WM 6.5. Alas, it is a deep disappointment.

Question: do you know any device which can send emails / SMSs to categories if we install DejaOffice, regardless of the OS (android, Symbian...)?

Do you think the combination of DejaOffice / Companionlink would meet my requirements if used with an Android based phone such as the Galaxy sII or the HTC Desire Z?

Once again, thanks a lot for your candid answer to my question regarding DejaOffice and iPhone.

Best,
Chawki

Thomas
08-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Hi Thomas,

Thanks a lot for your guidance.

However, I don't mind not using the Native Contacts application, as long as contacts are properly synchronized with Outlook (including of course categories).

I have been looking for months for a phone with the following capacities in vain:
- physical Keyboard (native - HTC Desire Z, Nokia E7... - or through an external accessory - BoxWave Keyboard buddy case for iPhone or Samsung Galaxy SII...);
- contact categories synchronization with Outlook;
- bulk emailing / SMSing to one / several / all categories.

I really thought DejaOffice would enable me send group SMSs or emails to my contacts (through individual selection or category selection).

I had a WM 6.5 based mobile phone which was the perfect match: an HTC Touch Pro. I only had to install a tiny third part applicaation to enable group emails / SMSs using my categories. After it crashed, I replaced it with a Windows Phone 7 based device, thinking it would be an upgrade of WM 6.5. Alas, it is a deep disappointment.

Question: do you know any device which can send emails / SMSs to categories if we install DejaOffice, regardless of the OS (android, Symbian...)?

Do you think the combination of DejaOffice / Companionlink would meet my requirements if used with an Android based phone such as the Galaxy sII or the HTC Desire Z?

Once again, thanks a lot for your candid answer to my question regarding DejaOffice and iPhone.

Best,
Chawki

Hello Chawki,

I have referred your post to our marketing group. They keep a close eye on the mobile technology options available and that are currently in development. What is your time frame?
Have you looked at any third party sms or mail clients that offer these specific features? I would research in that area too.

Kaena
08-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Hi Chawki,

DejaOffice for Android might come close to what you're looking for. At this time, DejaOffice does not support messaging to multiple contacts, however, you are able to do this with the native contacts app. Here's how it would all work:

You would first use CompanionLink to sync Outlook (with categories) directly to DejaOffice. DejaOffice is then able to sync contacts with the native app (categories in DejaOffice will get translated into Groups in the native contacts app). You can then open the native contacts app, select a specific Group (aka category), and then tap Menu > Send Message. You have to manually check a box next to each contact you want to message - I didn't see an option to message the entire Group at once, but at least you can quickly select each contact in the Group one by one. It's not perfect, but it may come close to what you're looking for.

Hope this helps!