PDA

View Full Version : Companion Pro Sync Questions

klowetx
07-12-2010, 03:49 PM
First off, I am using Outlook 2007 and had my business contacts on BCM. I purchased an Android HTC Evo and tried syncing via the HTC software but didn't like having two databases (appx 1,950 total contacts). DejaOffice was my answer. I tried to sync two databases and after a couple of attempts with the help of companion link support staff it worked. But has not since then and hard to get help so I combined both databases (really didn't want to do that).

My Questions:
1) Do I start the sync on the PC with CompanionLink or on the Evo with DejaOffice?
2) Should I press "Read Android Contacts" prior to syncing (that takes a very long time)?
3) Does the native android contacts and calendar sync automatically once the PC to DejaOffice is complete?
4) How do I overwrite the native Android Contacts and Calendar? I now have so many duplicates that keep going back and forth. I've tried purge and reread.

Thanks for any and all help...I'm a newbie.

Heidrick
07-12-2010, 07:10 PM
1) Do I start the sync on the PC with CompanionLink or on the Evo with DejaOffice?
2) Should I press "Read Android Contacts" prior to syncing (that takes a very long time)?
3) Does the native android contacts and calendar sync automatically once the PC to DejaOffice is complete?
4) How do I overwrite the native Android Contacts and Calendar? I now have so many duplicates that keep going back and forth. I've tried purge and reread.

1. You start the sync with companionlink first then click the sync in DejaOffice.
2. I thought the DejaOffice kept the contacts seperate from the Android Contacts. I have to go into Deja Office to view my biz contacts.

Of course im using companionlink USB not Pro, so they may sync differently. I have a HTC Hero and running Outlook 2007 w/ BCM also, but for me the DejaOffice calender and Contacts are seperate from the Android Calender and Contacts.

-Edit-
Just realized that in the settings in DejaOffice you can select if you want to sync the Android Contacts/Calender/Categories. I Deselected them all because I didnt want to mix my biz contacts with my personal ones. You may want to, but that would save you from problems 2,3, and 4.

Hope that helps

Eric
07-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Welcome, klowetx! I'll chime in as well...

1. Start the sync from DejaOffice.
2. No. The sync process includes a read of Android data, so you don't need to tap "Read Android Data" before or after syncing.
3. Yes. The native contacts/calendar are synced to DejaOffice both before and after the PC sync; this is part of the overall sync process.
4. A purge and reload should have worked. However, you could manually clear your native contacts/calendar, and then set CompanionLink for a reread. To clear the native contacts/calendar, from the Android home screen press your menu button and choose "Settings", "Applications", "Manage applications", then "Contacts Storage" (if you dont see this, you may need to filter the view to show all applications by pressing the menu button and then "Filter"). In Contacts Storage tap "Clear data". This will clear out all of your native contacts. You can do the same for "Calendar Storage". If you need to, you can also clear out your entire DejaOffice database by typing in the word "reset" from the DejaOffice main screen. You won't see the letters as you are typing, but once you type it in you'll be given an option to reset the database. (If you don't have a physical keyboard, you can hold your Android's menu button for a bit to bring up a software keyboard.) This will clear out all your DejaOffice contacts, events, tasks, notes, and categories. Before taking any of these steps, I recommend backing up your databases (Outlook/BCM/Google).