PDA

View Full Version : Calendar alarms not alerting at specified time

Arch
07-13-2010, 10:50 AM
but later, (especially when I go into DO on the phone) I'll be presented with a long list of alarms I've missed. I can't imagine the intention is that alarms only go off if you actually have DO running, is it? Is anyone else having this problem?

Arch
07-13-2010, 10:51 AM
I should have specified, I am using an Evo 4G and am syncing with Palm desktop 6.2.2.

bry54
07-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Arch-
Are you using a Task Killer? If so try setting it to ignore DJO and see if it helps. It did with mine.
edit: I have an Eris though.

Arch
07-16-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm not using a Task killer, no.

Eric
07-16-2010, 02:42 PM
In order to get notifications from DejaOffice (or any app), the app needs to be running in the background. Apps will run in the background until Android decides to force-close them (when it needs the memory to run a different app). So what probably happened here is that Android force-closed DejaOffice, so that when you opened DejaOffice the next time it gave you all of the alarms it wasn't able to before.

Arch
07-16-2010, 09:38 PM
I see. Is there anything we can do about this? Or will there be in the future? I mean if Android is eventually always going to kill DO than the alarms function becomes, at best, unreliable.

DJOCTO
07-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Personally I hate all the Android Notification system. It is like driving a nail with a computerized wrench!

Currently we are using Android Notifications, and the settings are pretty directly the items we can set in the notification system. What I don't like is the inability to easily snooze, the small print, and the fact that I frequently miss the alarm because I stepped away from the phone for just a minute.

I'm going to post this in our release schedule, but count on a big change in alarms coming up soon, maybe by August 15 or so. I want it to work just like old Palm OS. An alarm rings and brings up a popup notification of the one alarm, not a list or a notification manager. Then on that screen you can snooze or dismiss. This is so simple. It's astonishing that Google has made a complex system that lacks the capability of acting like a simple alarm clock. I hope we can hack enough of the OS to handle it.

Sven
07-17-2010, 02:22 PM
It would be great also to have a LED-notification.

Lior Messer
09-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi, I believe I am facing the same problem: I used to have DJO alarms to work normally. A few weeks ago, I did a full factory reset on my Galaxy Spica and re-installed everything (including DJO 1.6.8), plus a few other apps. Since then, I noticed DJO alarms don't work from Android's home screen anymore. When I open DJO, then they pop normally.

My memory is pretty full (running Android 2.1 with app2sd to get some extra room) so I wonder if this is related to Android's memory cleaning routine. If so, is there anything I could do? I don't open DJO on a regular basis (my calendar is mostly for birthdays) so I'm afraid of missing notifications, which is exactly what I would expect from an alarm...

Lior

BamBam
09-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Personally I hate all the Android Notification system. It is like driving a nail with a computerized wrench!

Currently we are using Android Notifications, and the settings are pretty directly the items we can set in the notification system. What I don't like is the inability to easily snooze, the small print, and the fact that I frequently miss the alarm because I stepped away from the phone for just a minute.

I'm going to post this in our release schedule, but count on a big change in alarms coming up soon, maybe by August 15 or so. I want it to work just like old Palm OS. An alarm rings and brings up a popup notification of the one alarm, not a list or a notification manager. Then on that screen you can snooze or dismiss. This is so simple. It's astonishing that Google has made a complex system that lacks the capability of acting like a simple alarm clock. I hope we can hack enough of the OS to handle it.

I agree - although somewhat primitive in comparison to the Android operating system in many ways, one thing that Palm did very well with their devices was PIM management. As you said, it is unfortunate that Google saw fit to release an OS with so many obstacles in place to interfere with productivity applications like Deja Office. My sincere hope is that your team is able to overcome these issues and unlock those areas of functionality we have all been waiting for since leaving the Palm world.

Rolloutman
09-23-2010, 10:22 PM
I agree with all the comments in this thread relating to alarms and notifications.
We're frequently getting notifications hours and sometimes days off from the originally
scheduled time(s).
Unfortunately it's to the point we can't count on reliability of the alarms/ notifications
coming at the right time. This leaves the calendar as just barely a reference tool.
If there's something we can do to help you guys fix this, do let us know.

About the next step follow-on for PIM management, I believe DejaOffice is headed
in the right direction.
There are a lot of us migrating from the Palm world in need of this kind of solution.
As mentioned before, if there are things we can do to help the cause, do let us know.

I agree - although somewhat primitive in comparison to the Android operating system in many ways, one thing that Palm did very well with their devices was PIM management. As you said, it is unfortunate that Google saw fit to release an OS with so many obstacles in place to interfere with productivity applications like Deja Office. My sincere hope is that your team is able to overcome these issues and unlock those areas of functionality we have all been waiting for since leaving the Palm world.