PDA

View Full Version : think i found something that causes sync duplication

lccseh
09-14-2011, 06:59 PM
i realize this is not likely going to be a common scenario, but i *think* the following will consistently cause djo/companionlink to duplicate records.

i am syncing between outlook and djo android.

my phone is a verizon motorola droid. most of the time i use it in canada using a sim from a canadian carrier. when i am in the u.s., i remove the sim and use the phone on a verizon plan.

it looks like when i next sync after adding the sim or removing it, all records are duplicated in outlook. the first symptom is that i get a popup on the pc from companionlink to the effect of "you deleted x records on android calendar. do you want to delete them in outlook". not knowing why it was saying this, and not knowing whether it was referring to the android db or the djo db (wishlist request: please have the message be explicit this, and while you are at it, add a "more about this message" link), i said no (not wanting to lose data on outlook). but this seems to then take FOREVER to sync and seems to duplicate the records in outlook.

it also gives me the same popup for contacts and also for tasks.

question 1- if i answered yes to the dialog about deleting the records on outlook, would it in fact delete my outlook data, or would it not find matches and my outlook data would be intact?

question 2- pls confirm that a sim change should not cause this behavior, and that this will be treated as a bug. is there a recommended workaround in the meantime?

in the meantime, i will now sort my thousands of outlook calendar/contacts/tasks by creation date and deleting the duplicates

regards,

les

Thomas
09-15-2011, 09:53 AM
i realize this is not likely going to be a common scenario, but i *think* the following will consistently cause djo/companionlink to duplicate records.

i am syncing between outlook and djo android.

my phone is a verizon motorola droid. most of the time i use it in canada using a sim from a canadian carrier. when i am in the u.s., i remove the sim and use the phone on a verizon plan.

it looks like when i next sync after adding the sim or removing it, all records are duplicated in outlook. the first symptom is that i get a popup on the pc from companionlink to the effect of "you deleted x records on android calendar. do you want to delete them in outlook". not knowing why it was saying this, and not knowing whether it was referring to the android db or the djo db (wishlist request: please have the message be explicit this, and while you are at it, add a "more about this message" link), i said no (not wanting to lose data on outlook). but this seems to then take FOREVER to sync and seems to duplicate the records in outlook.

it also gives me the same popup for contacts and also for tasks.

question 1- if i answered yes to the dialog about deleting the records on outlook, would it in fact delete my outlook data, or would it not find matches and my outlook data would be intact?

question 2- pls confirm that a sim change should not cause this behavior, and that this will be treated as a bug. is there a recommended workaround in the meantime?

in the meantime, i will now sort my thousands of outlook calendar/contacts/tasks by creation date and deleting the duplicates

regards,

les

Hello les,

Thanks for posting this. We apologize if you have been inconvenienced in any way by this issue.

We would love to help resolve it. Before we begin to explain what expected behavior is in this case, can you please provide some more specific information about your configuration:

1. DejaOffice Version #
2. CompanionLink build #.
3. Phone OS version.
4. Sync Method? USB WiFi or Secure Hosted.
5. Do you sync with a notebook computer that travels with you, or do you sync with Multiple PC's?
6. When you say all records are duplicated in Outlook, can you please be more specific?
- Contact records duplicated?
- Calendar records duplicated?
- Task records duplicated?
- Notes records duplicated?

We have some specific questions about your Sync settings in DejaOffice that can directly affect the expected behavior in this situation:
1. Do you Sync your DejaOffice Contacts and or Calendar with the Native Android Applications?
2. If Yes = What account(s) on the Android phone do you sync with? (This is important!)
- To check the Android account you Sync DejaOffice Contacts/Calendars with, follow these steps:
A) Open DejaOffice and tap settings.
B) Tap Sync Settings
C) Is Sync with Android Contacts App checked?
D) If Yes = What Account is listed in the Contact Account field?
E) Is Sync with Android Calendar App checked?
F) If Yes = What account is listed in the Calendar Account field?
In this situation expected behavior may change depending on the account settings selected.

lccseh
03-18-2012, 06:49 PM
this is strange, i have replied twice now to this (weeks between each) and neither reply is there. here's hoping 3 x the charm.

it just occurred again. and once again it was after i had gone with my laptop and connected online via a 3g usb device instead of my usual wired lan connection. And this time, after having deleted the duplicated contacts and requested a purge/reload of my android device, it again duplicated my contacts in android.

1. DejaOffice Version # 2.1.7
2. CompanionLink build # 5020
3. Phone OS version. 2.3.3
4. Sync Method? USB WiFi or Secure Hosted. USB
5. Do you sync with a notebook computer that travels with you, or do you sync with Multiple PC's? notebook only
6. When you say all records are duplicated in Outlook, can you please be more specific?
- Contact records duplicated?
- Calendar records duplicated?
- Task records duplicated?
- Notes records duplicated?

it is not entirely consistent, but the vast majority of the time it is contact records.

We have some specific questions about your Sync settings in DejaOffice that can directly affect the expected behavior in this situation:
1. Do you Sync your DejaOffice Contacts and or Calendar with the Native Android Applications?
2. If Yes = What account(s) on the Android phone do you sync with? (This is important!)
- To check the Android account you Sync DejaOffice Contacts/Calendars with, follow these steps:
A) Open DejaOffice and tap settings.
B) Tap Sync Settings
C) Is Sync with Android Contacts App checked? yes (so that the phone app has access to my contacts that i maintain in djo)
D) If Yes = What Account is listed in the Contact Account field? (Gmail Account)
E) Is Sync with Android Calendar App checked? NO
F) If Yes = What account is listed in the Calendar Account field?
In this situation expected behavior may change depending on the account settings selected

sure hoping you can help. this is a great product.

lukev
03-19-2012, 08:36 AM
I had this happen to me last week. I posted and it appeared to take my post, but when I came back to that thread later my post was gone.

Just FYI to the webmaster -

Luke