PDA

View Full Version : First Sync with new build using hosted wireless sync

Hook
09-21-2011, 11:21 AM
I just installed CL 5.0 Build 5002 over CL 5.0 Beta Build 5001. After doing so, it came up with a prompt asking if I wanted to purge what was on the handheld before syncing all my data. I thought the answer would be no since no data had changed. However, it turns out that CL does a full sync, at least with the hosted wireless, with the new build and, of course, I ended up with everything duplicated on my phone. No big deal, I know how to prevent that from happening in the future.

However (and consider this as a feature request) it would be really nice if, when installing a new build, I didn't have to do a full (and therefore time-consuming) sync. In most cases, I will have done a sync just before I install the new build. It would be nice if either the new build was left with the same data pointers so it would know that everything is already synced, or if when it is first opened a wizard would pop up that would let me specify whether data needed to be synced or maybe to choose between a full sync or update sync.

I don't remember having this problem with builds before, so I suspect this is only an issue for Hosted sync. It won't be the end of the world if other considerations make this request impractical. Just would be nice to be spared the full sync just for updating the build.

Thanks!

Thomas
09-21-2011, 02:16 PM
I just installed CL 5.0 Build 5002 over CL 5.0 Beta Build 5001. After doing so, it came up with a prompt asking if I wanted to purge what was on the handheld before syncing all my data. I thought the answer would be no since no data had changed. However, it turns out that CL does a full sync, at least with the hosted wireless, with the new build and, of course, I ended up with everything duplicated on my phone. No big deal, I know how to prevent that from happening in the future.

However (and consider this as a feature request) it would be really nice if, when installing a new build, I didn't have to do a full (and therefore time-consuming) sync. In most cases, I will have done a sync just before I install the new build. It would be nice if either the new build was left with the same data pointers so it would know that everything is already synced, or if when it is first opened a wizard would pop up that would let me specify whether data needed to be synced or maybe to choose between a full sync or update sync.

I don't remember having this problem with builds before, so I suspect this is only an issue for Hosted sync. It won't be the end of the world if other considerations make this request impractical. Just would be nice to be spared the full sync just for updating the build.

Thanks!

Hook,

Rule #1...
Follow the prompts, they are your friend. If we didn't need to PnR we wouldn't. We don't put that in there to annoy or delay you, that is for sure.
The other nice thing about Secure Hosted Sync...
Start the desktop sync and walk away. It doesn't affect your phone till you Sync from the device. :)
You can do it on the device side later, or whenever you like. You are in control of that process, because 1 Sync with Secure Hosted is only half the equation.
Remember I told you that Secure Hosted works differently and requires a slightly different frame of mind. This is one of those areas.

Hook
09-21-2011, 04:27 PM
I understand that-- I know pretty well how hosted sync works at this point. ;) Actually, the desktop sync doesn't take that much time even when it is a full sync. Yes, I can leave the phone and let it take it's time with the full sync, but it would be nice if it didn't need to be done just for adding a new build. If it does, fine, just say so. I was merely asking if it had to be that way or if there was a way for the user to tell the program that the data is up to date on both desktop and handheld and to have it operate on that assumption. :)

Yes, I did misunderstand the prompt. I read it as "*if* doing a full sync." I mistakenly thought it wouldn't have to. As I said, I know how to deal with this in the future and I won't have the duplication problem again (and even that was easy to fix-- resync with purge).

I'm just making a feature request, if possible. :)

Hook,

Rule #1...
Follow the prompts, they are your friend. If we didn't need to PnR we wouldn't. We don't put that in there to annoy or delay you, that is for sure.
The other nice thing about Secure Hosted Sync...
Start the desktop sync and walk away. It doesn't affect your phone till you Sync from the device. :)
You can do it on the device side later, or whenever you like. You are in control of that process, because 1 Sync with Secure Hosted is only half the equation.
Remember I told you that Secure Hosted works differently and requires a slightly different frame of mind. This is one of those areas.

Thomas
09-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I understand that-- I know pretty well how hosted sync works at this point. ;) Actually, the desktop sync doesn't take that much time even when it is a full sync. Yes, I can leave the phone and let it take it's time with the full sync, but it would be nice if it didn't need to be done just for adding a new build. If it does, fine, just say so. I was merely asking if it had to be that way or if there was a way for the user to tell the program that the data is up to date on both desktop and handheld and to have it operate on that assumption. :)

Yes, I did misunderstand the prompt. I read it as "*if* doing a full sync." I mistakenly thought it wouldn't have to. As I said, I know how to deal with this in the future and I won't have the duplication problem again (and even that was easy to fix-- resync with purge).

I'm just making a feature request, if possible. :)

If CompanionLink prompts for PnR with Secure Hosted. It mean the server has flagged that as necessary for data integrity. Sometimes we program new Sync parameters in a new build that will fix a known issue, and a PnR is needed with the next sync, but this is only to fix known issues. In my personal experience, the Sync process is much faster on the phone side if you login to WiFi and take advantage of higher throughput. This may vary from device to device as I use a 3g device. Some 4g phones may go faster with Mobile data connection.

Hook
09-22-2011, 09:34 AM
If CompanionLink prompts for PnR with Secure Hosted. It mean the server has flagged that as necessary for data integrity. Sometimes we program new Sync parameters in a new build that will fix a known issue, and a PnR is needed with the next sync, but this is only to fix known issues. In my personal experience, the Sync process is much faster on the phone side if you login to WiFi and take advantage of higher throughput. This may vary from device to device as I use a 3g device. Some 4g phones may go faster with Mobile data connection.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

By the way, I'm always on wifi in this situation (since the new build would be installed on my home network). :)

Thomas
09-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

By the way, I'm always on wifi in this situation (since the new build would be installed on my home network). :)

Hook,

Just to be clear, you should be able to sync from the phone side anywhere you have Mobile Data or WiFi connection. :)
PC Side just needs an internet connection.

Hook
09-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Hook,

Just to be clear, you should be able to sync from the phone side anywhere you have Mobile Data or WiFi connection. :)
PC Side just needs an internet connection.

Yes, I understand that, Thomas. I like being able to sync with 3G when I need to which is why I really like the hosted sync. Also, since it doesn't depend on having a set IP, it is easier than wifi sync to my laptop. Really excellent sync option.

I have what, for most people, is an odd setup. My Nexus One has a Gophone SIM. Most of the time I use wifi, but I have a 3G bucket I can use if I need to. I probably use no more than 10Mb a month 3G and what I don't use rolls over. The combination of mostly wifi but 3G whenever I need it allows me to get what I need done without a contract. I end up paying maybe $15 a month for voice and data. ;) My phone really is a PDA.