PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating DejaOffice unexpected results

Enceladus
11-06-2011, 08:19 AM
I am considering DejaOffice (to manage contacts, events, tasks and notes) for use on an Acer A500 and HTC EVO will sync with Outlook on a PC. I have read the appropriate manuals, DejaOffice web pages and various forum entries. My understanding is that DejaOffice maintains separate databases (contacts and calendar) from the devices native databases and the user controls whether the data is synced between the dbs via the Settings/Sync Settings variables. My desire is to keep all data separate from the native and Google apps.

I have installed DejaOffice onto my a500 and made several contacts and calendar entries. Ive noticed that although the abovementioned variables were set not to sync with the native dbs (i.e., the Sync with Android Contacts App and Sync with Android Calendar App fields were unchecked) the contacts entered into DejaOffice now appear in the native Contacts app. The calendar entries, however, do not appear in the native calendar app.

Either I have missed something (perhaps another variable setting) or I have completely misunderstood DejaOffices functional intent/capabilities. Can someone please provide guidance on this.

Note I am running DejaOffice 1.12.3 on Android 3.2. Also (not sure if this is relevant) several months ago I installed DejaOffice onto the a500, made several entries, tested the app then uninstalled it (was not happy with what I saw). I never removed the entered data from the device, so when I re-installed DejaOffice a day ago this original data was still present in the app. I cannot recall if this original set of data appeared in the native dbs when originally entered, however it does not appear now. Only the data entered with the re-installed version of DejaOffice appears in the native dbs. I do not recall what version of DejaOffice I was running previously but it was the most current (June 2011 timeframe). It appears the current DejaOffice populates the native dbs on contacts data entry but if data is already in the DejaOffice db it will not sync it. Again any guidance will be appreciated.

Hook
11-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Because it is not clear what you had set up before, try this (if you don't mind losing the few new items you created.) uninstall DJO, use a file manager (like Astro) to delete the Clusb folder on your SD card-- that is where all DJO settings and data are stored. This will make sure all settings from the old installation have been purged. Then reinstall DJO and set up from scratch (this will create a new Clusb folder). Make sure you have, as you intended, unchecked syncing with the Android Dbs. Finally do a "first time" sync with Outlook. You should now be able to add items without them appearing in the Android databases (and you should also not have the "read Android Databases" option if you unchecked both Contacts and Calendar).

Let us know if this works.

Enceladus
11-06-2011, 11:03 PM
OK, thanks Hook - I'll give it a try. I actually thought about removing the clusb folder, but was a bit nervous about "breaking" something even further. Will let you know what happens

Thomas
11-07-2011, 07:57 AM
OK, thanks Hook - I'll give it a try. I actually thought about removing the clusb folder, but was a bit nervous about "breaking" something even further. Will let you know what happens

Enceladus,

I would suggest either deleteing the CLUSB folder as described above, or Doing a Purge nad Reload Sync from your PC using CompanionLink.
Both processes will have the affect of creating a new Database file in DejaOffice.

Enceladus
11-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Thomas - thanks for the additional tip. I am a bit puzzled as to how the two proposed "fixes" will actually prevent my data from ending up in the native db going forward. The provided logic appears to say that a corrupted data file resulted in data from that file being populated into a completely separate file. Only apps move data, which implies that the culprit is DejaOffice (or some other app has access to DejaOffice's data). It is not the old data that is populated in the native db it is the most recently entered data. I am trying to establish a level of confidence that my data will be handled securely, but I'm still out on a limb as to why or how this could happen. I really thought I had missed a variable setting. But based on the advice given it appears that's not the case.

Any clarification you can provide will be appreciated - haven't had an opportunity to retest per the suggested fixes but I'll give it a shot within the next day or two.

Thomas
11-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Thomas - thanks for the additional tip. I am a bit puzzled as to how the two proposed "fixes" will actually prevent my data from ending up in the native db going forward. The provided logic appears to say that a corrupted data file resulted in data from that file being populated into a completely separate file. Only apps move data, which implies that the culprit is DejaOffice (or some other app has access to DejaOffice's data). It is not the old data that is populated in the native db it is the most recently entered data. I am trying to establish a level of confidence that my data will be handled securely, but I'm still out on a limb as to why or how this could happen. I really thought I had missed a variable setting. But based on the advice given it appears that's not the case.

Any clarification you can provide will be appreciated - haven't had an opportunity to retest per the suggested fixes but I'll give it a shot within the next day or two.

If the Sync with Native Android options were turned off in DejaOffice there are only two possible ways Data is showing up in the Native Apps.
1. Google Sync is turned on in the Android Device Settings.
2. Something was corrupted in your CLUSB folder and the DejaOffice settings (to not sync with Native Android Apps) were not saved properly.

As an additional step you may want to follow the instructions in the following support Article. To verify no corruption on your SD Card:
http://www.companionlink.com/support/kb/How_to_repair/format_a_corrupted_Android_SD_card

I hope this helps.