PDA

View Full Version : New updates and this is better? How about a Tasker API to add more automation?

sefiro
11-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Took the latest updates (dejaoffice 1.12.3 and Oct 31, 2011 update for companionlink ) and . . well . . . it looks like the sync solution took a sideways step. Apparently, tech decided that it would improve stability by forcing the user, when they sync, to manually put the USB connection into USB mass storage mode for the PC rather than use the old method of having the sync do it - and the user press OK when the PC was done with the update. I guess they decided they could automate one side or the other - and now chose to automate the completion of the android sync when the use manually puts the USB connection back into "none"

For me- this is now less automation - and more time consuming - and more so - less than ideal. I'm still looking for the auto sync solution whenever I just plug the android into the PC (like I had when the old Windows phones did their autosyns (Not going back as the Windows phone OS otherwise is %*&&^*)).

Is there an intent to purely automate in the future? I know android put some limitation architectural wise to help reduce virus spread - but their has to be some creative minds out there.

Can I recommend exposing some of DO to the tasker app? I use it to automate many of the changes to the phone as I change environment or location (plugged in or not, facedown or up, in the car or on the night stand, etc). I would use tasker to automate the start of sync, delay for period or until sync returns stage one complete, then put USB in mass storage mode, etc. This all comes with a single question that asks - when I connect to the USB port - am I connecting to PC, Car, Night Stand or just power.

(now - if we could just figure out how to get the PC to talk to the phone when the phones internal storage is in USB Mass Storage - then we could finish the sync automation by having companionlink PC report that it is time to return phone internal storage and complete Stage 3 of the sync on the phone)

Comments?

Thomas
11-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Took the latest updates (dejaoffice 1.12.3 and Oct 31, 2011 update for companionlink ) and . . well . . . it looks like the sync solution took a sideways step. Apparently, tech decided that it would improve stability by forcing the user, when they sync, to manually put the USB connection into USB mass storage mode for the PC rather than use the old method of having the sync do it - and the user press OK when the PC was done with the update. I guess they decided they could automate one side or the other - and now chose to automate the completion of the android sync when the use manually puts the USB connection back into "none"

For me- this is now less automation - and more time consuming - and more so - less than ideal. I'm still looking for the auto sync solution whenever I just plug the android into the PC (like I had when the old Windows phones did their autosyns (Not going back as the Windows phone OS otherwise is %*&&^*)).

Is there an intent to purely automate in the future? I know android put some limitation architectural wise to help reduce virus spread - but their has to be some creative minds out there.

Can I recommend exposing some of DO to the tasker app? I use it to automate many of the changes to the phone as I change environment or location (plugged in or not, facedown or up, in the car or on the night stand, etc). I would use tasker to automate the start of sync, delay for period or until sync returns stage one complete, then put USB in mass storage mode, etc. This all comes with a single question that asks - when I connect to the USB port - am I connecting to PC, Car, Night Stand or just power.

(now - if we could just figure out how to get the PC to talk to the phone when the phones internal storage is in USB Mass Storage - then we could finish the sync automation by having companionlink PC report that it is time to return phone internal storage and complete Stage 3 of the sync on the phone)

Comments?

Hello Sefiro,

Thank you so much for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

To address your experience in the first paragraph, it sounds like you are in Manual Sync Mode.
http://www.companionlink.com/support/kb/Manual_Sync_Mode_for_Android_USB_Sync
Manual Sync mode is a necessary work around for some users who update their Android Phone OS and then experience issues with USB Sync.
This can be disabled in the DejaOffice.
1. Open the DejaOffice Application on the device.
2. Select Settings
3. Select Sync Settings
4. Disable Manual Sync Mode

Let me know if these steps work to disable Manual Sync mode. The option will not display if Manual Sync mode has not been turned on.
Also, please let us know if sync attempts are successful after executing the steps above.
Please let us know the Exact Device Model and Android OS version that is currently installed on your device.
This information can be very helpful to our ongoing development efforts.

The Dev team will be looking at the feasibility of using Tasker in the future. Your suggestion here is greatly appreciated. Thank you.