PDA

View Full Version : Palm Desktop V6.2.2 to Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread

Mulberry
11-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Greetings,
This is my first post here so please advise if this isn't the right forum for this question. I've successfully downloaded DejaOffice and checked it out on my Galaxy Player 5.0 running Android 2.3.5(Gingerbread) so now I am considering downloading CompanionLink to USB sync upwards of 8,000 calendar entries covering a period of 9 years which currently reside in my Palm TX which I sync with Palm Desktop V6.2.2 running on WinXP-SP3. I am only planning to migrate the calendar.

I've made backups of all my Palm files, scoured these forums and other postings and think I'm ready to embark on this migration but before I dive in:

1) Has anyone successfully synced the above combination of operating systems? [I had a bad experience with SplashID which ended with their support people telling me that they hadn't tested their (Password Safe) software with "the new tablets"!]

2) The CompanionLink "recommended" sync method is USB but I would like to get away from that and either use Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Has anyone successfully utilized either of these wireless methods with my operating system combination?

3) I read somewhere within the CompanionLink support information that Palm limits the number of files transferred to 100 per day if I recall correctly. Elsewhere I read that folks transferred thousands of files with no problem.

Thanks in advance!

Thomas
11-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Greetings,
This is my first post here so please advise if this isn't the right forum for this question. I've successfully downloaded DejaOffice and checked it out on my Galaxy Player 5.0 running Android 2.3.5(Gingerbread) so now I am considering downloading CompanionLink to USB sync upwards of 8,000 calendar entries covering a period of 9 years which currently reside in my Palm TX which I sync with Palm Desktop V6.2.2 running on WinXP-SP3. I am only planning to migrate the calendar.

I've made backups of all my Palm files, scoured these forums and other postings and think I'm ready to embark on this migration but before I dive in:

1) Has anyone successfully synced the above combination of operating systems? [I had a bad experience with SplashID which ended with their support people telling me that they hadn't tested their (Password Safe) software with "the new tablets"!]

2) The CompanionLink "recommended" sync method is USB but I would like to get away from that and either use Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Has anyone successfully utilized either of these wireless methods with my operating system combination?

3) I read somewhere within the CompanionLink support information that Palm limits the number of files transferred to 100 per day if I recall correctly. Elsewhere I read that folks transferred thousands of files with no problem.

Thanks in advance!

Hello Mulberry,

Thank you for posting. You can monitor our Device Specific notes for USB Sync here:
http://www.companionlink.com/support/kb/Android_USB_Device_Specific_Notes

To the best of my knowledge we do not have the Galaxy Player 5.0 running 2.3.5 OS in our inventory for testing the USB Compatibility. If I learn otherwise I will update this thread immediately.

WiFi should not be an issue.

No data limits, not sure where you read that.
Be sure to turn of Google Sync if you decide to use DejaOffice to Sync Contacts or Calendars with the native Android Apps.
http://www.companionlink.com/support/kb/How_to_turn_off_Google_Sync_on_an_Android_device

Please feel free to post again if you have questions or run into any challenges.

Mulberry
11-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Hi Thomas,
Thanks very much for the prompt posting and advice on how to proceed. Much appreciated!
I want to clarify your reply, is it that the DejaOffice/Android software USB sync feature has not been tested on Android 2.3.5 or do you mean that DJO/A has just not been tested on the Galaxy Player 5.0 but HAS been tested on other devices running Android 2.3.5 ?

Also I have thought of another (new but related) question:
If I successfully sync my Palm Desktop (WinXP-SP3) to my Galaxy Player 5.0 (Android 2.3.5) will I still be able to sync to my Palm TX after making appropriate hotsync selections? In other words, does syncing with CompanionLink burn the bridge to backtrack to the traditional Palm TX hotsync if this Android migration doesn't work out?

Thanks again,
M.