PDA

View Full Version : DejaOffice Calendar Syncing to Android Calendar But Not Google Calendar

nhoeller
11-12-2011, 09:28 AM
I am running DejaOffice 1.12.3 on a Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.2). I currently am not using CompanionLink but will be installing it shortly to sync DejaOffice with Lotus Notes. I realize that this may be risky but hope a one-way sync will avoid problems.

I was hoping to maintain a read-only copy of my DejaOffice on Google Calendar so that selected people could view my calendar. DejaOffice is configured to sync with the Android Calendar. The Android Calendar is set up to automatically push updates to my Google Calendar. If I create an event natively in the Android Calendar, it appears on my Google Calendar within minutes. If I create an event in DejaOffice, I see it in my Android Calendar but it never shows up on my Google Calendar.

I have checked that DejaOffice is synching with the correct calendar account and verified that I have not marked calendar entries as private. If I view the two entries in the Android Calendar, the only difference I see is that the DejaOffice entry has the alarm set and gives me the option of selecting 'My calendar' or my Google account (the later is selected), while the Android entry does not give me that option (always set to my Google account).

Now things get really strange. I created another DejaOffice calendar entry without setting the alarm. Both DejaOffice calendar entries magically appeared in my Google Calendar. This is the first time I have ever seen a DejaOffice calendar entry show up in my Google Calendar. I do recall seeing the 'sync' icon show up beside my WiFi icon.

I tried following the same sequence of events without any success. I even forced a calendar synch by disabling/re-enabling via the Android settings but am back to only native Android Calendar events showing up in the Google Calendar.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thomas
11-14-2011, 10:58 AM
I am running DejaOffice 1.12.3 on a Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.2). I currently am not using CompanionLink but will be installing it shortly to sync DejaOffice with Lotus Notes. I realize that this may be risky but hope a one-way sync will avoid problems.

I was hoping to maintain a read-only copy of my DejaOffice on Google Calendar so that selected people could view my calendar. DejaOffice is configured to sync with the Android Calendar. The Android Calendar is set up to automatically push updates to my Google Calendar. If I create an event natively in the Android Calendar, it appears on my Google Calendar within minutes. If I create an event in DejaOffice, I see it in my Android Calendar but it never shows up on my Google Calendar.

I have checked that DejaOffice is synching with the correct calendar account and verified that I have not marked calendar entries as private. If I view the two entries in the Android Calendar, the only difference I see is that the DejaOffice entry has the alarm set and gives me the option of selecting 'My calendar' or my Google account (the later is selected), while the Android entry does not give me that option (always set to my Google account).

Now things get really strange. I created another DejaOffice calendar entry without setting the alarm. Both DejaOffice calendar entries magically appeared in my Google Calendar. This is the first time I have ever seen a DejaOffice calendar entry show up in my Google Calendar. I do recall seeing the 'sync' icon show up beside my WiFi icon.

I tried following the same sequence of events without any success. I even forced a calendar synch by disabling/re-enabling via the Android settings but am back to only native Android Calendar events showing up in the Google Calendar.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Nhoeller,

Thanks for posting. It sounds like different accounts are being used here.
One thing to remember is that if you are going to Sync your DejaOffice Calendar with CompanionLink to your PC Desktop, and with the native Android application, Goggle Sync needs to be turned off in the Android Device Settings for the Account DejaOffice Syncs to. There is no easy/safe way around this limitation.

nhoeller
11-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Thomas, thanks for the fast response! I am not sure I follow "It sounds like different accounts are being used here." I currently run standalone DejaOffice synced with the native Android Calendar. The Android Calendar is syncing with the Google calendar associated with the Google account I set up when I registered the Android phone. At the moment, I am not using CompanionLink. Calendar entries created on the Android Calendar show up on the Google Calendar but entries pushed to the Android Calendar from DejaOffice are not showing up on the Google Calendar. More accurately, DejaOffice entries showed up once on the Google Calendar, but I was not able to reproduce the conditions.

Can you expand on why Google Sync needs to be disabled if I sync DejaOffice with Lotus Notes via CompanionLink? I appreciate that the Lotus Notes calendar entries are not fully compatible with Google Calendar. I do not need bi-directional sync which I can see might corrupt data or result in duplicate entries.
Thanks, Norbert

Hello Nhoeller,

Thanks for posting. It sounds like different accounts are being used here.
One thing to remember is that if you are going to Sync your DejaOffice Calendar with CompanionLink to your PC Desktop, and with the native Android application, Goggle Sync needs to be turned off in the Android Device Settings for the Account DejaOffice Syncs to. There is no easy/safe way around this limitation.

Thomas
11-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Thomas, thanks for the fast response! I am not sure I follow "It sounds like different accounts are being used here." I currently run standalone DejaOffice synced with the native Android Calendar. The Android Calendar is syncing with the Google calendar associated with the Google account I set up when I registered the Android phone. At the moment, I am not using CompanionLink. Calendar entries created on the Android Calendar show up on the Google Calendar but entries pushed to the Android Calendar from DejaOffice are not showing up on the Google Calendar. More accurately, DejaOffice entries showed up once on the Google Calendar, but I was not able to reproduce the conditions.

Can you expand on why Google Sync needs to be disabled if I sync DejaOffice with Lotus Notes via CompanionLink? I appreciate that the Lotus Notes calendar entries are not fully compatible with Google Calendar. I do not need bi-directional sync which I can see might corrupt data or result in duplicate entries.
Thanks, Norbert

Nhoeller,

Google Sync has to be turned off if you are syncing DejaOffice Contacts and or Calendar Data (that originated in PC and Syncs back to PC) with the Native Android Contacts and Calendar App.

The short answer is that performance and data integrity are severely compromised if Google Sync is turned on.

I will expand a bit though, in as non technical terms as possible since this is group forum.
When Google Sync is turned on for your Contacts and Calendar think about this happening in the background:
DejaOffice begins to Sync with Native Android Contacts and Calendar Apps...
When Google Sync is turned on, Your Android device is designed to push updates from the phone to the cloud immediately...
The moment DejaOffice touches a record in the Android Native Contacts for example, Google sync grabs the same records and starts syncing it with the cloud. The simplest answer is DejaOffice and the Google Cloud are simultaneously syncing the same database(s) at the same time.
(Think of this like Mr Scott Beaming Captain Kirk to two different planets at the same time, and then trying to Beam him back to the Enterprise in one piece.)
Immediate affect is that the DejaOffice Sync process is slowed down considerably. If that is all that happens it is a best case scenario.
Google handles their cloud sync process in a proprietary manner, and I don't blame them at all for this. Often the result is duplicated data, corrupted data, and sometimes lost data.

It is in Ghostbusters Terms the equivalent of "Don't Cross the Streams". I think I just aged myself with that last reference.

nhoeller
11-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Thomas, thanks for the detailed information!
Regards, Norbert