PDA

View Full Version : DejaOffice 1.2.8: General list of errors

Ninetrees
11-19-2011, 07:40 AM
1. Can't control font size of memos, though we can set font sizes for contacts, calendar
2. During Edit, tapping in a note brings up keyboard and scrolls to bottom of memo, but we tapped where we wanted to edit. Now, because the keyboard takes up so much room, scrolling back to the top of the memo is tedious. On the Palm, tapping puts the edit point at the tap point.
3. Occasionally exits DO during edit session. Straight out to the Home Page.
4. Can't get rid of the keyboard during memo (or others) edit once it pops up. So it eats up a huge chunk of screen. We can save, which removes the kbd, but then see #2 above.
5. During scrolling of memo, thumb shows on right but you can't get to it to scroll. I guess this is a shortcoming of the iTouch? because it shows in several iTouch apps, but is useless. Might as well not waste pixels.
6. Selecting time in cal doesn't highlight, so I don't know which time I am selecting until I get to the edit dialog. I think there ought to be some visual feedback, though it is easy to change to the correct time in the following dialog...just unnecessary.
7. I often try to scroll the date in Calendar, but hit the + or Home icon instead. That's because I don't have the fine control on the iTouch that I have on the Palm. I vote for putting more space around the < > arrows in the Calendar, though I admit that the current spacing is visually appealing.
~R~

Thomas
11-20-2011, 10:39 AM
1. Can't control font size of memos, though we can set font sizes for contacts, calendar
2. During Edit, tapping in a note brings up keyboard and scrolls to bottom of memo, but we tapped where we wanted to edit. Now, because the keyboard takes up so much room, scrolling back to the top of the memo is tedious. On the Palm, tapping puts the edit point at the tap point.
4. Can't get rid of the keyboard during memo (or others) edit once it pops up. So it eats up a huge chunk of screen. We can save, which removes the kbd, but then see #2 above.
5. During scrolling of memo, thumb shows on right but you can't get to it to scroll. I guess this is a shortcoming of the iTouch? because it shows in several iTouch apps, but is useless. Might as well not waste pixels.
6. Selecting time in cal doesn't highlight, so I don't know which time I am selecting until I get to the edit dialog. I think there ought to be some visual feedback, though it is easy to change to the correct time in the following dialog...just unnecessary.
7. I often try to scroll the date in Calendar, but hit the + or Home icon instead. That's because I don't have the fine control on the iTouch that I have on the Palm. I vote for putting more space around the < > arrows in the Calendar, though I admit that the current spacing is visually appealing.
~R~

Hello Nintrees,

Thank for posting this list of issues.

Please see my comments below:

This is as designed right now. We will be working on adding functionality to Memos in the future. The issue you reported earlier with Memo's crashing may be resolved by trying this:
1. In Palm Desktop copy and paste the memo that crashed in DejaOffice into a simple text editor.
2. Copy the converted simple text document into a new Memo in DejaOffice.
3. Sync the converted memo to your iPod Touch.
4. Open the new memo in DejaOffice and see if you are to reproduce the crash then.
- Report back to me what you discover. This would still be considered ab bug, but very usefule information for me to report to my dev team so we can work on a fix for you.

I need a little more info on this. Are you finding this behavior to be throughout DejaOffice, or just in a few specific places? I will look at this on my iPhone 4 and see if there is something we can do.
- One thing to keep in mind. DejaOffice is not intended to always mirror Palm functionality. In many cases it is impossible to do so based on the limitations of the iOS.

Is this the same behavior you posted here:
http://www.dejaoffice.com/forums/showthread.php?1890-DejaOffice-1.2.8-Editing-memo-crashes-DO&p=8544#post8544
Or something different I should be aware of?

I am writing this up for the dev team. This may be a limitation of the iOS but I will find out if there is something we can do about this.

I am assuming you are talking about the Main Application Screen of the Memo's app, in an environment where numerous memo's are listed?
Please confirm this.

I am assuming you are talking about DejaCalendar Day view and then tapping one of the current time slots.
I tried to reproduce the behavior you reported on an iPhone 4. I did not see this problem. Please specify the iPod touch Generation and iOS version you are using.

Which Calendar view are you using? Day, Week, Month? Or is this occurring in all of them?
- Also, I am leveraging my experience as a former supervisor for Apple iOS device support with this next question...
How much experience do you have navigating the touch screen of the iPod Touch? My experience is that it takes at least few weeks of regular use to adjust to the touch screen of an Apple Device. I hated it at first, and I was a long time Palm user and actually did QA testing for Palm devices from 2000 - 2006 for a living. The touch sensitivity is quite different between iOS and Palm, and it took me some time to get used to it.
That being said, I realize we have some room for improvement in DejaOffice on this matter. I just like to calibrate user experience when discussing the touch sensitivity of the app. It helps me get a better idea of how our customers experience the user interface.

I hope this info above helps,

Thomas

Ninetrees
11-20-2011, 03:54 PM
>>The issue you reported earlier with Memo's crashing may be resolved by trying this:
1. In Palm Desktop copy and paste the memo that crashed in DejaOffice into a simple text editor.
4. Open the new memo in DejaOffice and see if you are to reproduce the crash then.
- Report back to me what you discover. This would still be considered ab bug, but very usefule information for me to report to my dev team so we can work on a fix for you.<<

I followed these steps and the problem still exists. In fact, upon exiting DO, I found myself looking at an app that I had not launched, but that may be due to a tap during the crash that got passed to the Home page.

~R~
Mobile Device iTouch 4G, iOS5, current
DejaOffice version 1.2.8
CompanionLink 5004
Sync Method: Wi-Fi
Data Manager App: Palm 4.x

Ninetrees
11-20-2011, 04:15 PM
>>2. During Edit, tapping in a note brings up keyboard and scrolls to bottom of memo, but we tapped where we wanted to edit. Now, because the keyboard takes up so much room, scrolling back to the top of the memo is tedious. On the Palm, tapping puts the edit point at the tap point.
I need a little more info on this. Are you finding this behavior to be throughout DejaOffice, or just in a few specific places? I will look at this on my iPhone 4 and see if there is something we can do.
- One thing to keep in mind. DejaOffice is not intended to always mirror Palm functionality. In many cases it is impossible to do so based on the limitations of the iOS. <<

We observed this in editing memos. When we looked at a note attached to a cal event, tapping on the note also scrolled to the bottom of the note. Editing either of these notes results in scrolling to the bottom of the note and activating the keyboard. Because some of our notes have many lines, scrolling back up is tedious.

I admit that I am of two minds wrt the iTouch. A long-time Palm user (I adopted it when it came out, recognizing that it was a great implementation.), I grew used to Apple users responding in a deprecating manner when I rolled out my Palm. Realizing the the Palm dynasty had run its course and I would need to find a new platform, I was under the impression that the iTouch would be a step forward from the Palm, although with the expected change-of-technology ladder to climb. I have been sorely disappointed. It's now clear to me that those Apple users who spoke so ill of the "old" Palm technology had no understanding of what they were missing. This device and its apps have some clear advantages over the Palm, but in the areas that I used the Palm for, it falls far short. That being said, one of the saving graces of the iTouch is DO and CL. Without these, I'd have seen no reason to buy the iTouch or any Apple product.

I don't expect the iTouch to emulate the Palm. It's time to change platforms, and change the way I do business. I recognize that DO is a new product and needs to mature. I am frustrated in the first place because this "advanced" technology can't measure up to technology years old, and I have been irritated with the delays caused by moderating on this forum and by getting logged out so often.

~R~

Ninetrees
11-20-2011, 04:15 PM
>> 4. Can't get rid of the keyboard during memo (or others) edit once it pops up. So it eats up a huge chunk of screen. We can save, which removes the kbd, but then see #2 above.
I am writing this up for the dev team. This may be a limitation of the iOS but I will find out if there is something we can do about this.<<

Thanks for that.
~R~

So...unless I am mistaken, the forum just threw away several of my replies. Thinking that each reply to this thread would make a large reply, I replied to the thread several times, and each time the forum replied with a message that the reply was accepted. Not until the 3rd reply did I find that the earlier replies were gone...so I'll add this stuff back here.

>>The issue you reported earlier with Memo's crashing may be resolved by trying this:
- Report back to me what you discover. This would still be considered ab bug, but very usefule information for me to report to my dev team so we can work on a fix for you.<<

Tried all that. No change.
~R~

>>2. During Edit, tapping in a note brings up keyboard and scrolls to bottom of memo, but we tapped where we wanted to edit. Now, because the keyboard takes up so much room, scrolling back to the top of the memo is tedious. On the Palm, tapping puts the edit point at the tap point.
- One thing to keep in mind. DejaOffice is not intended to always mirror Palm functionality. In many cases it is impossible to do so based on the limitations of the iOS. <<

It occurs throughout DO.
(Here is where the forum lost a long reply...)
The bottom line is that I have listened to deprecating remarks from Apple users for some time when I rolled out my Palm. Little did they or I know how far behind these devices are compared to the Palm. Nonetheless, the Palm dynasty is ended, and I need to move to a new technology. That will mean changing the way I do business. The only reason for my purchasing an iTouch at all is DO and CL. Without these two apps, I'd see no reason to move to the iTouch, as nice as some of the other apps are. I don't expect DO to mimic the Palm, but I do expect some basic functionality to eventually appear. These issues are not just because the Palm did them, they are relevant because they make sense to me.

~R~

>>3. Occasionally exits DO during edit session. Straight out to the Home Page.
Is this the same behavior you posted here:<<

The same. But this message was delayed the moderator, and I didn't know if it would appear at all, so I posted the other.

~R~

>>5. During scrolling of memo, thumb shows on right...you are talking about the Main Application Screen of the Memo's app, in an environment where numerous memo's are listed?
Please confirm this.<<

Confirmed.

~R~

>>6. Selecting time in cal doesn't highlight,<snip> Please specify the iPod touch Generation and iOS version you are using.<<
Mobile Device iTouch 4G, iOS5, current
DejaOffice version 1.2.8
CompanionLink 5004
Sync Method: Wi-Fi
Data Manager App: Palm 4.x

>>7. I often try to scroll the date in Calendar, but hit the + or Home icon instead.
Which Calendar view are you using? Day, Week, Month? Or is this occurring in all of them?<<
Day mostly.

>>- Also, I am leveraging my experience as a former supervisor for Apple iOS <snip> The touch sensitivity is quite different between iOS and Palm, and it took me some time to get used to it.<<

It's not just that they are different, IMO; it's that the touch interface is much less accurate than the stylus input on the Palm. Compare the rough handwriting iTouch app with the graphic notes built into the Palm T5...no contest. But your point is well taken...I have been using the iTouch for only a few weeks, and I recall the adjustment to the Palm took some time, too. I think that I am improving on the iTouch, but there simply is no comparison twixt the Palm stylus and my fat fingers. And I think my handwriting in the Palm is faster than trying to hit those little keys on the iTouch kbd. I often turn it to landscape to get a wider kbd. (I usually used the Palm landscape, anyway.) I know that I'll get better as time passes. I can almost "touch type" on the landscape kbd...found myself reaching for the shift key a few times ;-) Still, there are features of the iTouch that are better than the Palm: hand gestures, zooming, &c. Too bad I can't get the Home screen to go landscape, too.

~R~