PDA

View Full Version : Sync Deletes all Data and Setting on Device about one sync in 8.

Peer Becker
12-02-2011, 11:12 PM
I have been using DJO and CompanionLink for about 5 months now, and am concerned about its stability/reliability. Syncing from Outlook seems to generate different unexpected results frequently. Most syncs go smoothly as expected, but about one in 4 syncs has a strange effect that when pressing sync the device screen leaves the DJO home screen and reverts to the device home screen while the PC is syncing, and then when manually going back into DJO the home screen has changed colours back to white background - but all is not lost and the data is all there, and things sort themselves out.

More troubleing is that about one in eight syncs fail. Everything from the PC seems to go as expected, but the device leaves DJO for the device homescreen and on getting back to DJO everythings is lost on the device - settings and all data. I have to go through all the settings again including tedious categories colours, and then do a complete purge and re-sync all data. I follow exactly the same process each sync, as per instructions, but the results are unreliable. I have probably re-set everything twice per week for the last 5 months, and question if the software is worth persisting with. Have upgraded various times with the same results.
Device is HTC Desire S, CompanionLink is Build 4050, DJO is 1.12.5
Any help? Should I try CompanionLink 5 ?

Peer

ParentJF
12-07-2011, 05:45 AM
Hi everybody,

I have the same problem. Sometime, all data is reset in my phone after a sync and it randomly.

I have CompanionLink Build 5004.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy GIO with the lastest version of DejaOffice.

Does anybody have a solution about that??

Thanks for your help!

Jean-Francois

ParentJF
12-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi!

I have the same problem. Randomly, all data in my phone is lost, including all DejaOffice settings after a Sync. I need to re-configure all settings and then re-sync with the computer. All data on the PC look to be good. I'm always doing sync in same way (connect the phone thru USB and pres the Sync button on the phone).

Like Peer, it's randomly.

I have CompanionLink build 5004 with DejaOffice 1.12.5.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy GIO phone.

Thanks for your help!

Jean-Francois

Thomas
12-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Hi!

I have the same problem. Randomly, all data in my phone is lost, including all DejaOffice settings after a Sync. I need to re-configure all settings and then re-sync with the computer. All data on the PC look to be good. I'm always doing sync in same way (connect the phone thru USB and pres the Sync button on the phone).

Like Peer, it's randomly.

I have CompanionLink build 5004 with DejaOffice 1.12.5.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy GIO phone.

Thanks for your help!

Jean-Francois

Parent JF and Peer Becker,

Best way to handle getting a resolution to this is for us to get a log file of a sync when the error occurs.

I will Private Message both of you with instructions on how to do this.

Lexie
12-08-2011, 02:33 AM
Hello Peer,

How do you synchronise; USB or Wifi?
It sounds like the same kind of problems I had on my HTC Desire HD while I was USB synchronising.
Thomas and his team have looked into it very intensly and we came to the conclusion to try Wifi synchronising.
Since then DJO has never had this problem again and it has been months now.
Since you have a HTC as well...maybe you have got the same issues.

The thread is: Big sync problem after updating CL and Android 2.3.3

I hope this will help to see if it is the same issue and therefore spare you all the steps I went through (and all the work and frustration that goes with it)

Lexie

McLion
12-08-2011, 03:19 AM
USB syncing works stable with my device since I removed a (obviously unused but somehow disturbing) SQL library from the Companionlink folder. Before, I had all sorts of strange effects on a regular basis. Maybe Thomas can shed some light on this ...

Hook
12-08-2011, 05:22 AM
I found when I used USB syncing I had to use great care with dismounting the USB connection and making sure I didn't try anything before the SD card was remounted to the phone (as opposed to the computer) or this same thing would happen. I don't know te cause, but I assumed it had to do with how Android remounts SD cards (also the reason widgets won't work if a program is stored on the card-- the sd card is mounted too late to make use of them at start-up). I don't know for sure my theory is correct, but I got tired of walking on egg-shells and went to secure wireless sync.

An interesting observation, McLion. Be curious to see what folks say about it.

Thomas
12-08-2011, 07:30 AM
USB syncing works stable with my device since I removed a (obviously unused but somehow disturbing) SQL library from the Companionlink folder. Before, I had all sorts of strange effects on a regular basis. Maybe Thomas can shed some light on this ...

McLion,

SQLLite is the Database engine for the Android platform. For USB Sync to work on Android we have to know the exact version being used by the device that is being synced. If they do not match it can cause a number of unpleasant issues. Just like the Android platform, SQLlite is an open platform. So a Device Manuafactuter or Wireless Carrier, who wants to add a unique bell or whistle to their Android device, may see the need to change or modify SQLLite in the effort to do this. However they don't always tell the world...
We just edited the version of SQL Lite on your phone, this may affect how any third party app accesses and moves data on your device.
So SQLLite is just on of the many variable we have to track and keep up to date.
This is one of the big reasons why we technically do not support non OEM Android ROM's... We have seen undocumented variations in SQLLite on a few of these.

ParentJF
12-08-2011, 09:29 AM
All,

Thanks for these good informations. I agree with Hook, since when the problem occur, I see on my phone that the SD card is mounting. So if the SD card mount just a little too late, perhaps DJO have some difficulties to update the data and cause DJO to flush all data and settings and then start the setup wizard.

I always press the OK button on the phone and wait "USB disconnected" before unplug the USB cable but I don't eject it on the computer.

Strangly, since I have activated the "log for 5 days" as explained by Thomas, all is working well.

Thanks again

Jean-Francois

dhabha
12-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi!
I am having the same problem - with all data on DJO on the phone being wiped out after seveal failed syncs. Subsequent attempts see the programme hanging and forclosing.
Can someone who has solved this problem, please share details
Thanks
HTC Desire, DJO 1.11.7 --- Win7, Outlook 2007, CL 4044 --- Direct USB sync

McLion
12-09-2011, 12:32 AM
@dhabha
Please update to the latest CL 4 version (4050) first and then do a "Purge and Reload".
You may also want to update to the latest DJO version. What Android version does your Desire use?

Lexie
12-09-2011, 12:57 PM
When I was trying to get the USB synchronising work, I had the feeling that the problems occured around the mounting and unmounting of the SD-card as well.
To be sure I even bought a new SD-card, but that didn't help.

Funny thing is that before my update to gingerbread the USB sync worked perfectly.
After the update I had problems irregularly. Meaning DJO didn't empty every x-time but it varied. But always my data was transfered to my PC correctly before DJO force closed.
Only DJO was empty and I had to get all the settings back as I had them before.
So I never lost any data but got fed up with getting DJO back in to shape.

Wifi synchronising wasn't my first choice, I rather use USB but I am happy I switched.
No more synchronising problems and reinstalling DJO!

dhabha
12-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks McLion
the phone has android 2.2 (I guess a novice question: should I be upgrading that too?)
I received a reply from 'Thomas' (of DJO) who suggests the same .... as I am literally on the road, I shall be trying this in a couple of days with better internet connections. I hope the 'purge and reload' will not mess up the Outlook data (contacts, calendar etc.)? Any steps and hints I should be mindful of would be much appreciated
Thanks!

McLion
12-13-2011, 01:26 PM
my 0.02: I suggest to update the Android version of the phone too. I don't know what the latest version is that HTC offers for the Desire.

The PnR is a "one way sync" from the PC/Outlook to your device. It leaves the Outlook data unchanged and does a fresh copy of all the data selected to sync to your device after purging it. Look at it as a "new start" on your Android device with the current OL data.

Peer Becker
12-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Dear All,
Having initiated this thread I still have no solution. With USB the sync remains unreliable. There have been good suggestions that suggest WIFI is the way to go. I tried setting up a WIFI Sync. It seemed straight forward on DJO and Companionlink to set it up, but I got the message on the PC when syncing "Internet Error. Unable to connect to remote device." I had entered the device name and IP address from the device, but no luck.

What am I missing?

Peer

Lexie
12-14-2011, 07:39 AM
I have received an update notice for my HTC Desire HD (vodafone, netherlands) for android 2.3.5.
I am not sure if it is available for the Desire also.

I just have a question to you McLion since you are running android 2.3.5. Does it work properly and without serious bugs?
I want to update but am very carefull since I got the synchronising problems after my update to android 2.3.3.

I have a friend with the same phone who did the update but she is a google fan :confused: and doesn't use DJO. So I can't use her as a reverence for this.

Peer, I did get that message also and in my case the IP adress had changed on the phone and I needed to change that in Companionlink.
Maybe a stupid question; did you check it again? And does you Wifi connection work properly on your phone, meaning do you for example get a good connection to the internet?
If that is the case I am out of my league (I am not a computer wizz, just learning a lot this last year since I got my phone :) )

I hope someone else can help you!

Lexie

Thomas
12-14-2011, 07:49 AM
I have received an update notice for my HTC Desire HD (vodafone, netherlands) for android 2.3.5.
I am not sure if it is available for the Desire also.

I just have a question to you McLion since you are running android 2.3.5. Does it work properly and without serious bugs?
I want to update but am very carefull since I got the synchronising problems after my update to android 2.3.3.

I have a friend with the same phone who did the update but she is a google fan :confused: and doesn't use DJO. So I can't use her as a reverence for this.

Peer, I did get that message also and in my case the IP adress had changed on the phone and I needed to change that in Companionlink.
Maybe a stupid question; did you check it again? And does you Wifi connection work properly on your phone, meaning do you for example get a good connection to the internet?
If that is the case I am out of my league (I am not a computer wizz, just learning a lot this last year since I got my phone :) )

I hope someone else can help you!

Lexie

Hi Lexie,

My thoughts are to definitely update to CompanionLink 5008 if you update the Device OS.
Also make sure to do a Purge and Reload as well.
We changed the label of Purge and Reload in 5008 to "Wipe all Records". So don't let that throw you. It is the same function, just a different name.

McLion
12-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Lexie
So far - fingers crossed - 2.3.5 works perfect on my Desire S.
There are changes to most of the apps as well as to the HTC Sense which is version 3 after the update.

Lexie
12-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Thomas,

I had already done the update to 5008 but forgot to change my signature :o
I check regularly for updates of CL and DJO and install them.

McLion, thanks for your reply.

I will give the android update a go this weekend (when I have a bit more time) since you don't experience any difficulties as well as my friend.
I have heard from her that the changes are worth the update.

So thanks both for the help.

Lexie

Peer Becker
12-15-2011, 04:25 AM
Thanks for your comments Lexie. Yes, my phone works perfectly with wifi access to web and emails. I have now played with the system (for too many hours today!) and found that my phone ID had changed a couple of times today. Why, I don't know. But essentially I now have managed to do WIFI sync. It seems much slower than USB sync, but early days for me and I shall persist and see how things go. In my experiements today when I alternated between USB and WIFI I had two total data destructions on USB sync. Let's see how WIFI settles with me. I shall also upgrade to companionlink 5 and see if that helps.

Thanks to you Lexie, and the others who commented on this thread. There is clearly an issue with USB sync and some phones, and I hope that this is resolved.

Peer

Lexie
12-15-2011, 05:47 AM
Hello Peer,

Good for you that you have your wifi connection working!
My IP adress changed after my router was rebooted. And I had to change the IP adress in CompanionLink.
My wifi sync is just as fast as the usb was.

The reasons why you had total data destructions is normal.
You have to do a Purge and Reload (in 5008 a "Wipe all Records") everytime you change sync methodes.
I recollect what Thomas learned me; it has to do with the way each sync methode writes the data to DJO. The USB methode isn't exactly the same as the Wifi methode.

Hope that if you take that into account it is going to work fine.

I am always glad to help since I know how desperate you can get when your data is corrupted and you don't have a clue why.

Lexie

McLion
12-15-2011, 06:06 AM
For WiFi sync it may be a good idea to set a fixed IP reservation for the device. This is done on the DHCP server, usually in a appliance like a router you have in your network. All of the DHCP servers and appliances I know do support this.

ParentJF
12-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Hi guys!

The problem juste happened after more than a week without trouble.
I did a "Purge and reload" because there was few duplications in my Outlook calendar and I deleted an event in my Outlook, but it wasn't deleted on the phone.
The sync did well, I then press the OK button on the phone after sync, wait the message and then unpluged the USB cable. I was now in the DeJaOffice menu and all looked OK. When I pressed the DejaCalendar button, all has been flushed (data + parameters), DejaOffice become very slow on the phone and the Setup wizard opens. While I pressed the DejaOffice Calendar, I saw the SD card was mounting.

After read forums, I'm pretty sure the problem is in DejaOffice with somewhere with the management of the "mount/dismount" of the SD card.

I can't use the WiFi sync since the company don't allow us to connect our phone on the company's wifi... so I need to use the USB sync.

Thomas, do you think the issue will be addressed by the development team to fix this issue?

Thanks all for all your comments and your help!

Jean-Francois

Thomas
12-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi guys!

The problem juste happened after more than a week without trouble.
I did a "Purge and reload" because there was few duplications in my Outlook calendar and I deleted an event in my Outlook, but it wasn't deleted on the phone.
The sync did well, I then press the OK button on the phone after sync, wait the message and then unpluged the USB cable. I was now in the DeJaOffice menu and all looked OK. When I pressed the DejaCalendar button, all has been flushed (data + parameters), DejaOffice become very slow on the phone and the Setup wizard opens. While I pressed the DejaOffice Calendar, I saw the SD card was mounting.

After read forums, I'm pretty sure the problem is in DejaOffice with somewhere with the management of the "mount/dismount" of the SD card.

I can't use the WiFi sync since the company don't allow us to connect our phone on the company's wifi... so I need to use the USB sync.

Thomas, do you think the issue will be addressed by the development team to fix this issue?

Thanks all for all your comments and your help!

Jean-Francois

Jean-Francois,

I am assuming you are using USB Sync and not using the Auto Sync feature. Auto Sync does not sync deleted records every Sync, but I doubt that is the case here.
We have released a new CompanionLink build that may be affecting this situation.
Build 5010 is available for download.