PDA

View Full Version : Unable to sync calendar and contacts with Android data

malinois44
07-18-2010, 08:21 PM
I got hooked on DejaOffice after using CompanionLink to transfer my contacts, notes, and tasks from Outlook to my HTC EVO via USB, which then allowed the contacts to show up in the default Android "People" list (with all the data in tact!).

Unfortunately, I am unable to keep my DejaOffice apps in sync now with any updates I make in my Android apps. It seems like the sync only works from DejaOffice to Android databases, but not back the other way.

I have checked both options to sync calendar and contacts with Android data in the sync settings.

Update: Anytime I click "Read Android Data", it starts to sync contacts until the counter gets to 0%, then it says "Sync Failed". If I hit "sync", it says to connect to the PC with a USB cable. I really dont want to do this since I have all my data off the PC already

Anyone have any ideas? I'm kinda stumped at this point.

The end result I am trying to get to is to use DejaOffice as my main phone productivity suite, but have it stay in sync with Google calendar and Android Contacts. I will not use Outlook on the PC anymore once I get this all worked out.

Thanks,
Gregg

Eric
07-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi Gregg. I'd like to get a log of your sync to see why it's failing. I'll email you some logging instructions.

malinois44
07-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Got it, logged as instructed and sent back. Look forward to what you find.....unless I'm a moron, then tell me in email ;-)

JulieS
07-20-2010, 08:24 PM
I too am having issues getting Dejaoffice to sync with my Android contacts; no problem with the calendar. I have checked both options to sync calendar and contacts with Android data in the sync settings. I too am trying to use DejaOffice as my main phone productivity suite, but have it stay in sync with Google calendar and Android Contacts; however, I will need to use Outlook on the PC to sync my "notes".

arcspin
07-20-2010, 11:28 PM
I too have serious problems getting data from DejaOffice calendar and contacts over to Stock Android Calendar and Stock Android Contacts.
I have checked both options to sync calendar and contacts with Android data in the sync settings.

Still no transfering of data from DejaCalendar and Contacts to Android Calendar and Contacts.

This was before the latest update to v1.5.7.
After the update I still don't get any sync, so the problem still exsist.
This is a major flaw and I hope this issue can be adress as soon as possible.

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S with a Swedish Stock Rom.

Best regards,

//Peter

DJOCTO
07-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Peter, We have two Galaxy S units inhouse and they work differently. So I guess we need to know more about what Carrier you have and what you mean by Swedish Stock Rom.

Please also try our release 1.5.8 which was just posted today.

arcspin
07-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Hello,
Ok, I was a little premature in writing that everything turned up nicely in Android calendar.
I have found some issues that I want to bring to your attention.

First of all, Im using a standard Samsung galaxy S I9000XXJF3 with stock Android 2.1 (no roots or hacks on my phone) and the phone is European and Im using it in Sweden.
My carrier is TELIA (major telecompany brand and carrier here in Sweden and in Scandinavia).
Im also using DJO v1.5.8

Ok, the syncing is working most of the times Here is what I have found out.

In Companion Link USB software I have made sure that all applications are checked in the applications menu and that the Records deleted in both Android and Outlook will be synchronized are checked properly.

Test 1:
It seems like when I delete an entry in Outlook it doesnt take affect in DJO calendar when I sync.

This is how I did my test:
Entered an event in DJO calendar
Entered an event in OUTLOOK
Deleted the event made in DJO calendar with OUTLOOK
Deleted the event made in OUTLOOK with DJO calendar

Result:
The event that I deleted in DJO calendar was also deleted in OUTLOOK after sync
The event that I deleted in OUTLOOK was not deleted in DJO calendar and it reappeared in OUTLOOK after sync.

I got the same result when I did the test again and tried to delete the entry I made with the same device that I entered it with.

This test was repeated several times with the same result

When sync is finished there is this info that shows up for a brief second that say something like this:
(update 1 event record) or
(update 613 event records) -> (processing records xxx/613)

When this happens the records made in DJO calendar and OUTLOOK after sync also shows up in Android calendar.

However this is not always the case when I sync and it is not always that synced entries shows up in Android calendar, only when the info (update X event record) flashes by.

Test 2:
It seems that when I type in an event in DJO calendar it doesnt show up in Android calendar

This is how I did my test:
Entered an event in DJO calendar
Result:
Checked to see if it appears in Android calendar and it did not show up in Android calendar.
Did a sync with OUTLOOK
Checked to see if it appears in Android calendar and it did show up in android calendar and in OUTLOOK calendar as well but only when the info (update X event record) flashed by.

Test 3:
Entering and deleting Contacts are working alright, both from DJO calendar and from OUTLOOK.

Test 4:
Entering and deleting Tasks are working alright, both from DJO tasks and from OUTLOOK.

I dont know if you have any use of my experiment serie but syncing is not working all the time for me and I have to make sure to delete an DJO calendar entry in DJO calendar for it to be properly deleted in both DJO calendar and in OUTLOOK after sync.

Best regards,
//Peter

krc694
07-26-2010, 01:49 PM
I am also having issues with syncing. If I make a change to a event that I originally entered in Deja Office, the change gets overridden by the Android Calendar back to what the event orignal was. Only changes on the Android calendar are carried through. Seems to also work ok if you make a change in Outlook. Both the Android and Deja Calendars are updated.

Eric
07-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Peter, thanks for the detailed info! I'll pass this along to our QA group for testing.

krc694, I'm wondering if you will see the same behavior if you turn off your Android's Google calendar sync.

laurentdo
07-29-2010, 02:05 AM
It'always true in v1.5.8 !!! Very frustrating.
I change my Outlook event from 13 to 14 ; sync : OK DJO & KO GC.
Sync again : the KO GC bounce back the 13 value to DJO and Outlook is again with 13h !!!

Regards

laurentdjo
07-29-2010, 02:22 AM
I am also having issues with syncing. If I make a change to a event that I originally entered in Deja Office, the change gets overridden by the Android Calendar back to what the event orignal was. Only changes on the Android calendar are carried through. Seems to also work ok if you make a change in Outlook. Both the Android and Deja Calendars are updated.

It'always true in v1.5.8 !!! Very frustrating.
I change my Outlook event from 13 to 14 ; sync : OK DJO & KO GC.
Sync again : the KO GC bounce back the 13 value to DJO and Outlook is again with 13h !!!

Regards

laurentdjo
07-29-2010, 02:37 AM
I have also found that : I really hope that it will change !?!!!

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/91319-dejaoffice-super-charged-contacts-calendar-tasks-notes-apps-mobile-professionals.html#post993828

Hi sanjsrik,

DejaOffice was designed from the start to be used as a free standalone app, or with CompanionLink for advanced sync functionality. DejaOffice can read the native Android contacts and calendar databases, and thus is compatible with any sync solution that uses the native databases (such as Google). Many users out there are just looking for a free app that gives Android a better address book (variable font size, color-coded categories, company name display), and that's what DejaOffice provides.

Also, many users want advanced business functionality on their phones, but don't necessarily need to sync with their PCs. DejaOffice fills that gap as well. We offer CompanionLink free for 14 days so everyone can use it to at least migrate their PC data (or data from an old phone) into DejaOffice. We want DejaOffice to be useful for basic users, as well as for those looking to keep everything in sync on a daily basis.

All that being said, we know that DejaOffice is still young and rapidly being developed. Our goal for DejaOffice is to give old Palm users a viable alternative to their old Treos and Centros. Palm has had 14 years to polish their mobile PIM apps, while DejaOffice has only been out a few months and we're already well on our way.

Ultimately, we look to the community to let us know how DejaOffice should evolve. We depend on user feedback and suggestions, and are always readily available over at the DejaOffice Forums. It doesn't get much more transparent than that.

Sorry for any confusion!

Baldone
08-14-2010, 04:41 AM
I wanted to see if there was a fix for this problem. I am having a problem with DejaOffice calendar syncing with the Andriod calendar and get a sync failed message. It seems to have stemmed from having to to hard reset my phone. It is like the original data is all there still from the android side and the deja office side and they are unable to sync because of this conflict. Syncing with my ACt! Database works just fine which is the most important however I would like to use the calendar features on my EVO. Let me know if you need any other information. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

Ben
08-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Baldone - Usually the sync failed message indicates that Android is rejecting the data we're writing to it, either due to some unhandled case (an obscure recurring event pattern, maybe?) or some sort of data corruption. In either case, it would be helpful for us to look at a log of the problem. I'll PM you instructions for sending us a log file.