PDA

View Full Version : Companion link has stopped working

danielf
01-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Hi,

Since a few days, when I am starting my PC, I can use Cl to synchronize. But at the end of the day, when I try to launch CL, I am
receiving the error message: "Cl has stopped working". My only solution is: restarting my PC , and I can then use again CL., .....till the next evening.

I am using Windows7 64 bit .

Any idea what is happening ?

I haven't changed anything in my PC since a few weeks and CL was working fine for more than a year.

Thanks.

Daniel

Thomas
01-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Hi,

Since a few days, when I am starting my PC, I can use Cl to synchronize. But at the end of the day, when I try to launch CL, I am
receiving the error message: "Cl has stopped working". My only solution is: restarting my PC , and I can then use again CL., .....till the next evening.

I am using Windows7 64 bit .

Any idea what is happening ?

I haven't changed anything in my PC since a few weeks and CL was working fine for more than a year.

Thanks.

Daniel

Hello Daniel,

What build # of CompanionLink is currently installed?

danielf
01-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Hello Daniel,

What build # of CompanionLink is currently installed?

Hi Thomas,

I am using CL 5012.

Daniel

Thomas
01-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Hi Thomas,

I am using CL 5012.

Daniel

Lets break down your exact configuration:

1. CompanionLink Model (CL for Outlook, Express, Pro, etc...)
2. Sync Method
3. Mobile device Model and OS?
4. PC Data Manager (Outlook, ACT! Goldmine, Palm Desktop, etc...)
5. Is Auto Sync enabled in the settings?

THanks

danielf
01-10-2012, 12:43 AM

2. Sync Method

THanks

Hi Thomas,

1. I am using Cl for Outlook.
2. I am synchronizing via WiFi
3. I have a Samsung S2 and Android 2.35.
4. I have Outlook 2010
5. Auto Sync is not enabled.

Daniel

danielf
01-10-2012, 12:47 AM

2. Sync Method

THanks

Hi Thomas,

1. I am using CL for Outlook
2. I am synchronizing via Wifi.
3. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and Android 2.34
4. I am using Outlook 2010

Daniel

danielf
01-11-2012, 06:07 AM

2. Sync Method

THanks

Hi Thomas,

I don't understand I have posted yesterday a reply but it was not published. I am trying again.

Daniel

danielf
01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi Thomas,

My settings are:

Daniel

Thomas
01-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi Thomas,

My settings are:

Daniel

Daniel,

When exactly is this error occurring?
Is it happening when you attempt to open CompanionLink?
Or is it happening during the sync process?

danielf
01-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Daniel,

When exactly is this error occurring?
Is it happening when you attempt to open CompanionLink?
Or is it happening during the sync process?

Hi Thomas,

It happens when I am trying to synchronize but it doesn't happen every evening.
Nothing appears on my screen and suddenly I am receiving the Windows7 error message .

Daniel

Thomas
01-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Hi Thomas,

It happens when I am trying to synchronize but it doesn't happen every evening.
Nothing appears on my screen and suddenly I am receiving the Windows7 error message .

Daniel

Daniel,

Open CompanionLink Setup on your PC Desktop.
Hold the following keys down on your keyboard:
"CTRL"+"SHIFT"+"U"

You should see a dialog display that says:
Logging enabled for days.

This should allow us to take a snapshot of the error happening.
Send me a Private Message via the Forums tool when the issue occurs again.
I will respond with instructions on how to submit the log file.

danielf
01-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Daniel,

Open CompanionLink Setup on your PC Desktop.
Hold the following keys down on your keyboard:
"CTRL"+"SHIFT"+"U"

You should see a dialog display that says:
Logging enabled for days.

This should allow us to take a snapshot of the error happening.
Send me a Private Message via the Forums tool when the issue occurs again.
I will respond with instructions on how to submit the log file.

Hi Thomas,

I will do it and send you the file when it occurs again. Very strange but since three days it hasn't occured again.

Daniel

Ninetrees
01-19-2012, 06:30 PM
My last update was on 2012-01-14. Has been working well for some time. Now Windows just says that CompanionLink MFC Application has stopped working. No clue as to why.

I recently installed a product called Mathcad Prime, and it triggered some updates to .Net (I think). I'm not familiar with that, so don't know if it is related.

I removed and re-installed CL5. No change.

I used ctrl-shift-u, and got the message for 5 days. I then ran CL5, which failed. This is 100% failure so far.

Thomas
01-20-2012, 07:36 AM
My last update was on 2012-01-14. Has been working well for some time. Now Windows just says that CompanionLink MFC Application has stopped working. No clue as to why.

I recently installed a product called Mathcad Prime, and it triggered some updates to .Net (I think). I'm not familiar with that, so don't know if it is related.

I used ctrl-shift-u, and got the message for 5 days. I then ran CL5, which failed. This is 100% failure so far.

Ninetrees,

So sorry you are having this issue. This sounds a lot like an intermittent issue we have with CompanionLink build 5014. It is so intermittent we have not been able to reproduce it successfully in our lab.
The feedback about a .NET update is very helpful to us over here.

Can I please get you to follow these steps:

1. On your Windows PC click Start>Control Panel>Windows Update
2. Click the View Update History option in Windows Update.
3. Please post back here all "Windows Updates" instal since installing the MathcCad program. If a KBNumber is associated with the update please note that. This will allow us to research the specific update you made and test it.

We have two builds we are hoping will help us isolate and fix the problem you are having.
Can you please install them one at a time and report back to us if the issue occurs with either or both builds?
Build 1:
http://www.companionlink.com/files/special/CompanionLink50_beta_no_ini_changes.exe

Build 2:
http://www.companionlink.com/files/special/CompanionLink50_beta_no_startup_changes.exe

Thank you very much fo your help with this.

Thomas
01-20-2012, 07:37 AM

Ninetrees,

So sorry you are having this issue. This sounds a lot like an intermittent issue we have with CompanionLink build 5014. It is so intermittent we have not been able to reproduce it successfully in our lab.
The feedback about a .NET update is very helpful to us over here.

Can I please get you to follow these steps:

1. On your Windows PC click Start>Control Panel>Windows Update
2. Click the View Update History option in Windows Update.
3. Please post back here all "Windows Updates" instal since installing the MathcCad program. If a KBNumber is associated with the update please note that. This will allow us to research the specific update you made and test it.

We have two builds we are hoping will help us isolate and fix the problem you are having.
Can you please install them one at a time and report back to us if the issue occurs with either or both builds?
Build 1:
http://www.companionlink.com/files/special/CompanionLink50_beta_no_ini_changes.exe

Build 2:
http://www.companionlink.com/files/special/CompanionLink50_beta_no_startup_changes.exe

Thank you very much fo your help with this.

Ninetrees
01-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended << installed with Mathcad Prime, same day (required)

I think that I uploaded a zip file with extended info...

Thomas
01-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended << installed with Mathcad Prime, same day (required)

I think that I uploaded a zip file with extended info...

Nintrees,

We have the .Net 4 framework installed on our test machines.
I spent the morning installing the MathCad application on our test machines and trying to generate the MFC failure you reported.
These efforts were not successful.

Did either of the CompanionLink builds I posted resolve the issue for you?

Ninetrees
01-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Sorry about the delay...need to fit this in with regular work activities. The first did not resolve the problem...the 2nd one did. It took a long time to run...perhaps because it is a beta...I thought perhaps that it was busy duplicating records as it has in the past...which is why I back up before syncing these days ;-) BUT, no worries! I looked at many of my memos and contacts, and could not find an error, and I browsed my calendar with similar success. So I guess that I'll leave the beta installed until the release hits the streets. FWIW, my wife is also running Win 7 x64, but not the math apps that I run. She has no problem. That said, the comment about .NET was a shot in the dark, because I really don't know how it might affect CL. Something on my machine changed twixt the 14th and now. Thanks for the prompt responses.

Ben
01-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Ninetrees - Thanks for the report on those two test builds. We're pretty sure we've now identified bug, so we've gone ahead and added the fix to our public beta code (build 5017). However, given how difficult it has been to reproduce it we're especially appreciative of user reports to help confirm the fix.

You can download the beta that includes the fix here: http://www.companionlink.com/inhouse/

Please let us know if it takes care of the crashing problem for you. Thanks!