PDA

View Full Version : Form over function

JamieEff
05-08-2012, 07:22 AM
I have to say that I am disappointed with the recent updates to the iOs Deja apps.

I am not particularly worried about how the app looks as opposed to its function and I said as much when I was asked to be a part of a group assessing the graphics for the new look - I never received a response to my email to that effect.

I would say that there are a number of 'little' issues which would indicate to me that the people that have built the function are not daily users of the application itself otherwise they would have been dealt with.

Thomas
05-11-2012, 02:23 PM
I have to say that I am disappointed with the recent updates to the iOs Deja apps.

I am not particularly worried about how the app looks as opposed to its function and I said as much when I was asked to be a part of a group assessing the graphics for the new look - I never received a response to my email to that effect.

I would say that there are a number of 'little' issues which would indicate to me that the people that have built the function are not daily users of the application itself otherwise they would have been dealt with.

Jamie,

Thank you for your honest feedback.
This post however gives us no concrete idea of what ideas you have about improving the UI experience.
If yo have specific UI feedback, we are more than willing to consider them.

JamieEff
05-14-2012, 02:09 AM
Hi Thomas

I did in my email several months ago outline the issues that I had come across and really hoped that they would have been dealt with.

To get you started, 2 of the main problems are:

1) if you are in contacts view, and you do a 'vague' search (ie there are a lot of results, when the keyboard is open you cannot scroll all the way to the bottom entries which, if the one you are looking for is near the bottom, makes it impossible to select

2) in the task view, when creating a task, why can we not search for the contact rather than having to scroll through (or use the 'quick jump') to the person you are looking for? The list is populated by company name, so what if you can remember the name of the person but not the company name?

3) And one for good measure - for some reason, when I sync back from my idevices to Act, randomly it creates multiple tasks for the same person/company and sets them (and others) to timeless..... its not a big deal but can be frustrating.

Jamie

Thomas
05-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Hi Thomas

I did in my email several months ago outline the issues that I had come across and really hoped that they would have been dealt with.

To get you started, 2 of the main problems are:

1) if you are in contacts view, and you do a 'vague' search (ie there are a lot of results, when the keyboard is open you cannot scroll all the way to the bottom entries which, if the one you are looking for is near the bottom, makes it impossible to select

2) in the task view, when creating a task, why can we not search for the contact rather than having to scroll through (or use the 'quick jump') to the person you are looking for? The list is populated by company name, so what if you can remember the name of the person but not the company name?

3) And one for good measure - for some reason, when I sync back from my idevices to Act, randomly it creates multiple tasks for the same person/company and sets them (and others) to timeless..... its not a big deal but can be frustrating.

Jamie

Hello Jamie,

Thanks for more specifics.
There is a new Search tool in DejaOffice 1.3.x.
There is a known issue with this that we are fixing regarding the keyboard not removing itself as needed. This should be fixed soon.

What build number of CompanionLink is installed on your PC? Dealing with a Sync issue like that rquires the information I request in my Signature.

JamieEff
05-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Hi Thomas

The search facility seems to only be when searching through all tasks, not when you are trying to add a contact to a task event.....

My Companion Link v is 5 (build 5022)
deja office is 1.3.3
Act!

Jamie

Thomas
05-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Hi Thomas

The search facility seems to only be when searching through all tasks, not when you are trying to add a contact to a task event.....

My Companion Link v is 5 (build 5022)
deja office is 1.3.3
Act!

Jamie

Jamie,

Please update to the latest build of CompanionLink (build 5030) That may resolve the sync issue you are experiencing. If not, please submit a ticket to support@companonlink.com.
I will inquire what the expected behavior for Task search is and report back when I have an answer.

JamieEff
05-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Will do Thomas... is that a free upgrade?

Re the Task search, I am not talking about searching the task window itself... I am talking about when you create a new task and want to add a contact to that task... the list of contacts is not searchable...only scrollable...

Thomas
05-14-2012, 09:21 AM

Re the Task search, I am not talking about searching the task window itself... I am talking about when you create a new task and want to add a contact to that task... the list of contacts is not searchable...only scrollable...

I can see your point with that. Especially if a large contacts database is being used. I have forwarded this request to the dev team to look at.

JamieEff
05-17-2012, 02:51 AM
Great, thanks for that Thomas.

Now how about this issue.

In the task view, when you create a task and you go to select a date these problems occur:

On an iPad
1. when the device is in portrait, there are no day headers showing the days of the week which is incredibly annoying if you are trying to select a day rather than a date in the future

On an iPhone
1. same as the above iPad issue
2. in portrait, the bottom of the calendar is cut off
3. in landscape, the year picker is cut off almost completely

Thomas
05-17-2012, 06:52 AM

Jamie,
updates are always free on the same version number you have purchased. So any build of CompanionLink that starts with 5 is free for you.

JamieEff
05-18-2012, 03:44 AM
How about this one Thomas?
Now how about this issue.

In the task view, when you create a task and you go to select a date these problems occur:

On an iPad
1. when the device is in portrait, there are no day headers showing the days of the week which is incredibly annoying if you are trying to select a day rather than a date in the future

On an iPhone
1. same as the above iPad issue
2. in portrait, the bottom of the calendar is cut off
3. in landscape, the year picker is cut off almost completely

There are others, and they are mainly sync issues (which have not been dealt with upgrading CompanionLink and the 'timeless issue is still a problem).

One that certainly has not been dealt with which I brought up with David Zumini months ago was that in the task view, if you mark an item as complete and sync, nothing happens on the Act! side of things. To actually get this to work, you have to edit the task in question and mark it as complete from the subsequent screen.

Another issue for me is the extra work that DO makes you do when compleing tasks etc...if you want to put a note in the contact, you have to go into the contacts area to add it ratehr than in the task area when you are marking it as complete...

Also, if you're marking as complete, to add a follow up task is convoluted

And why cant we, when in contacts view, just click on create a task when in a specific contacts view?

There is more...which is why my title was 'form over function' as it seems that the 'look' of the app (which kets face it isnt that great to look at when you compare with other apps of this ilk) has taken precedence over the actual function and that there are so many things which indicate to me that the people building the app dont actually use it themselves otherwise the issues would never have been issues in the first place

Thomas
05-18-2012, 10:55 AM
How about this one Thomas?

There are others, and they are mainly sync issues (which have not been dealt with upgrading CompanionLink and the 'timeless issue is still a problem).

One that certainly has not been dealt with which I brought up with David Zumini months ago was that in the task view, if you mark an item as complete and sync, nothing happens on the Act! side of things. To actually get this to work, you have to edit the task in question and mark it as complete from the subsequent screen.

Another issue for me is the extra work that DO makes you do when compleing tasks etc...if you want to put a note in the contact, you have to go into the contacts area to add it ratehr than in the task area when you are marking it as complete...

Also, if you're marking as complete, to add a follow up task is convoluted

And why cant we, when in contacts view, just click on create a task when in a specific contacts view?

There is more...which is why my title was 'form over function' as it seems that the 'look' of the app (which kets face it isnt that great to look at when you compare with other apps of this ilk) has taken precedence over the actual function and that there are so many things which indicate to me that the people building the app dont actually use it themselves otherwise the issues would never have been issues in the first place

Jeff,

Task View - This is a known issue and is listed for being fixed.

Note Entry - You make a good point. We specifically removed that feature some time back as we keep running into data integrity issues on the back end. Look for this to be fixed in the future.

Create Task from the Contacts App... Good idea. I will suggest this to the dev team for consideration.

Thanks for the feedback. This is very helpful.

JamieEff
05-25-2012, 07:22 AM
This sync issue is starting to really annoy as it is making me have to either wait to mark a task as done on my desktop or duplicate effort already done once...

It seems to be duplicating tasks that have been marked as complete as in my Act window, and in some cases triplicating them......

JamieEff
05-25-2012, 09:58 AM
sync for tasks seems to be even worse now... it appears if i mark something as complete in DO all it does is create a new duplicate task for the same contact - theres even ones in triplicate now

DO is really doing everything it can to make the whole process of task management more cumbersome and time sucking than it should. it should be making my ife easier, not harder and having to second guess whether its acrtually done what it should do or whether its done what it seems to think is OK.

I know that at some point youre going to suggest that you get someone to look at the set up etc and they then remote access my machine... but before you make any suggestion like please bear in mind that the last time I let a companion link support person access my machine I lost ALL of my calendar data...so I am not exactly predisposed to having anyone from CL mess around with my machine.......

Thomas
05-31-2012, 10:57 AM
sync for tasks seems to be even worse now... it appears if i mark something as complete in DO all it does is create a new duplicate task for the same contact - theres even ones in triplicate now

DO is really doing everything it can to make the whole process of task management more cumbersome and time sucking than it should. it should be making my ife easier, not harder and having to second guess whether its acrtually done what it should do or whether its done what it seems to think is OK.

I know that at some point youre going to suggest that you get someone to look at the set up etc and they then remote access my machine... but before you make any suggestion like please bear in mind that the last time I let a companion link support person access my machine I lost ALL of my calendar data...so I am not exactly predisposed to having anyone from CL mess around with my machine.......

Jamie,

Please check the advanced settings in CompanionLink Setup. The General Settings tab should have a sync completed records setting that is off by default. Also please note that at this time DejaOffice for Apple Devices does not support Syncing of Recurring Tasks at this time.

JamieEff
06-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Hi Thomas

This has been unchecked since I set the service up some time ago and it is doing this with ordinary tasks as opposed to recurring... it only seems to have started happening with recent updates (not sure if DO or CL though)

Jamie

Thomas
06-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Hi Thomas

This has been unchecked since I set the service up some time ago and it is doing this with ordinary tasks as opposed to recurring... it only seems to have started happening with recent updates (not sure if DO or CL though)

Jamie

Jamie,

From reading this report I am assuming that when you describe marking a Task Complete that this is occurring in DejaOffice, and not in ACT. Or is this behavior occurring in both places?
If this were me I would follow theses steps:
1. Verify my ACT! Tasks are in a state that I want them in.
2. Verify I am using the Latest build of CompanionLink. - http://www.companionlink.com/downloads/updates.html (I can't tell what your current config is unless you keep your Signature updated the way we request)
3. Open CompanionLink Setup and hold down the "CTRL"+"SHIFT"+"U" keys and enable logging for 5 days.
4. Click the gear next to ACT!> Go to the Applications Tab and Click Wipe all Tasks on Apple Device before Sync.
5. Sync your iPad.

I would also highly suggest running through the following link and verifying the ACT! Data has been maintained properly:
http://www.companionlink.com/support/kb/ACT!_2005%2B_Diagnostics

JamieEff
06-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Hi Thomas

I am using CompanionLink Professional 5 (Build 5030) which I believe is the latest.

Have done as you outlined above and have resynched everything on both ipad and iphone and, although I am tentative about using the ios devices to mark as complete I will do so and report back

Am assuming you want the log generated? Where do I send it please?

Jamie

Thomas
06-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Hi Thomas

I am using CompanionLink Professional 5 (Build 5030) which I believe is the latest.

Have done as you outlined above and have resynched everything on both ipad and iphone and, although I am tentative about using the ios devices to mark as complete I will do so and report back

Am assuming you want the log generated? Where do I send it please?

Jamie

Jamie,

I want a log if we have an error to look for. If it is working correctly the log is of little use.
Also...
I am assuming you are using COmpanionLinK Express. Do you sync with multiple Mobile devices? (Like an Android or iPhone as a second device)
If you are syncing with multiple devices, have you setup a separate sync profile for each mobile device in the Profile manager?
I really need you to fill out the signature as requested for me to provide any real help. Every single variable of someone's configuration can affect the outcome of a Sync.