PDA

View Full Version : Act! - Clearing (not erasing) Meetings, tasks, etc

eliotw
04-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Is there any way to "clear" an activity, because when I delete in DejaOffice ipad, nothing happens in Act post sync?

Also - will multiday banners be supported in Dejaoffice Calendar?

DJOCTO
04-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Elliot W, Welcome to our forums!

The method to "clear" in CompanionLink has always been different than ACT! Sync.

For CompanionLink, put a slash character "/" in the subject of the Activity. This was chosen because it most resembles a check mark. Just put a slash in the first character. On the next sync, the Activity will be cleared in ACT!, moved to History, and will appear in Contact History for the Contact. The cleared date/time will be the sync time.

For CompanionLink, a delete is just a delete. To Clear, use a "/".

DejaOffice is a new era for us. We are working toward making operations like clearing be a checkbox, just like in ACT! Also I'd like the cleared date/time recorded, so it can be part of ACT! reporting. On the roadmap is automated followups, so you can easily schedule followup meetings, calls and to do items while clearing the current one. I've got a whole crew working full time on this so look for updates every few weeks that add more and more ACT! and CRM features to both iPhone and Android platforms.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.

Starbuck
06-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Ok, I am new to this forum, I have had ACT for 15years, I stopped upgrading at 6.0 because I felt that it was becoming more like outlook & less powerful like ACT. I have use the companion Link for about 6 years now I think. I recently got a new machine win7 Pro & I have an iphone & an iPad. It seems that there isn't a direct sync to them from act. IS that true? It seems as if I have to sync act to outlook then outlook to dejaoffice. It would be really great if you could figure out a way to also sync to the regular calendar & contacts of the devices. I realize that the standard apps are more limited than deja office but since they are all separate...

Where can I find out how to make it easier to sync Act to my iphone & ipad? So far I have the app, but haven't yet synced because of these issues making me concerned that I will get out of sync eventually because of too many steps.

Starbuck
06-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Also can Dejaoffice be used without using a wireless pay to sync option? Can I just sync via wifi or USB cable to the device?

DJOCTO
06-12-2010, 04:12 PM
CompanionLink Express will sync to iPhone and iPad using Wi-Fi. This is a new feature that was just added last month.

Starbuck
06-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks. I will check that out.

Starbuck
06-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Well I tried that, but it really didn't seem to work. It asked for an IP, I gave it the IF shown on the ipad wifi connection. Nothing happened.
So where do I go from here?

Eric
06-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi Starbuck. Did you try to start the sync from the PC? DejaOffice needs to be open on your iPad, but the sync is started from CompanionLink on your PC.

Kaena
06-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Hi Starbuck,

Here are the full instructions for syncing via Wi-Fi (its down at the bottom of this page) - http://www.companionlink.com/products/dejaoffice-apple-wifi.html

I hope this clarifies things. Let us know if you're still having trouble!

catbird
06-25-2010, 08:13 AM
"The method to "clear" in CompanionLink has always been different than ACT! Sync.

For CompanionLink, put a slash character "/" in the subject of the Activity. This was chosen because it most resembles a check mark. Just put a slash in the first character. On the next sync, the Activity will be cleared in ACT!, moved to History, and will appear in Contact History for the Contact. The cleared date/time will be the sync time. "

I am syncing Act2007 with a Moto Droid via Companionlink Express. I insert a " / " as the first character on an event in DejaOffice calendar, I make sure to save the change. However, the item does not clear in Act -- and when I go back to DejaOffice the event does not show the inserted " / ".

Please advise . . .

Eric
06-25-2010, 10:08 AM
catbird, try this: make some other change to an event in DejaCalendar (for example, add a word like "test" to the end of the event subject). Then sync with ACT!. Does your change get overwritten (does "test" disappear)? Or does the change make it over to ACT!? If your change is being overwritten, you may have CompanionLink set for a "reread" sync. In this case, what you would want to do is open CompanionLink Setup, click on the "Options" drop-down menu, and verify that "Reread PC Data on next Sync" is unchecked.

catbird
06-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Eric,
I ran the test as you suggested. Here is the result:

I added a word to an event subject and then synced. The added word copied to Act. However, when I went back to DejaOffice on my handheld, the added word was no longer showing in the event subject.

I checked CompanionLink Setup and neither of the reread options is checked.

BTW - I really love this software. I will be happy to do any troubleshooting you recommend.

Eric
06-28-2010, 10:17 AM
catbird, let's try another test: could you go into the DejaOffice Settings>Sync Settings, and uncheck the second option (the one for "Sync with Android Calendar App")? This will turn of the DejaCalendar sync with the native Android calendar. Then, try adding a test word (like "test2") to the end of another DejaCalendar event subject, and sync with ACT!. I expect that the change will come over to ACT! again. Is this correct? But this time, is the change overwritten in DejaCalendar like with your first test?

catbird
06-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Eric,

I unchecked "Sync with Android Calendar App" on DejaOffice on the Droid. I added text to the subject of an existing event on the phone, and also added a completion / on another event - and ran the sync.

The added text and the / did not copy to Act on the PC.
The added text and the / were not overwritten on the phone. They are still there.

Eric
06-29-2010, 10:09 AM
catbird, it's strange that you aren't seeing the changes in ACT! now. Maybe you just need to refresh your view? You can press F5 in ACT! to refresh the screen.

I had you turn off the "Sync with Android Calendar App" to see if it was the sync with the native calendar that is causing your changes to be overwritten. What you could try now is turning the native sync back on (put a check back into "Sync with Android Calendar App" in the DejaOffice sync settings) but turn off your native Android calendar's sync to Google (from your Android home screen, press the menu button, then "Settings", then "Accounts & sync", tap your Google account, and uncheck "Sync Calendar"). Then you could make some more changes in DejaCalendar and sync again. Are your changes overwritten?

Starbuck
06-29-2010, 04:03 PM
I still can't even get it to sync with the wireless WIFI sync. Not sure what is wrong.

catbird
06-30-2010, 06:58 AM
Eric -

Let me bring you up to date. I never allow my gmail acct to update Google. It is disabled in account syncs.

I just re-ran the test you suggested last time. I notice that when I edit a calendat entry by longpress on the subject field - the subject field always opens empty. However, when I then select edit from the DejaOff menus - the subject field is populated and I enter added text there. After syncing - the added text still does not transfer to Act, but the added text remains in the event subject field if I tap the event in the DejaOff calendar Today view.

Is that clear?

Eric
06-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Sorry catbird, it's not quite clear for me yet. When I try to edit a calendar event from DejaCalendar, the subject field is always populated like I would expect. Could you walk me through, from the DejaOffice main screen, the steps you're taking (what you're tapping, etc.)?

It's very odd that your changes had been syncing to ACT!, but now they're not. Maybe there's been a change in your CompanionLink settings? You may want to contact CompanionLink tech support about the sync.

Eric
06-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Starbuck, what kind of problem are you seeing with your Wi-Fi sync? Are you getting an error message?

Starbuck
06-30-2010, 11:55 AM
It just doesn't sync. Not sure why.

Eric
06-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Starbuck, you might want to give CompanionLink tech support a call so that they can take a look at the sync with you.

catbird
08-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Apologies to all for not updating this thread in real time -- I forgot -- oops. The syncing of completed tasks/calendar events from Droid to Act is resolved. I did not have the settings properly configured. The phone side was not set to "sync with Android Contacts app". Eric - sorry I didn't post this earlier. Everything is working A-OK.