PDA

View Full Version : Add copy task and copy memo; trick for using copies as templates

waldtest
07-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Now that copying an appointment has been added to the calendar, can a similar copy function be added for tasks and memos? This would reduce the need to retype the same text repeatedly and allow those using standardized systems to structure work in tasks and memos to have the basic tools regularly available.

One of the features I've made substantial use of in my palm is the template function for storing common information for calendar events. This is implemented in the palm calendar by storing the templates as events on Jan 1, 2030, and then having a template option that takes one to that date to copy the event.

I can get some of that functionality, although not as smoothly by copying events to that date, going manually to the date and copying events there to insert in the relevant date and time.

If I had task or memo copy, I could add a template category and store the templates in that category.

damjang
07-21-2012, 01:34 PM
... and also for contacts? I will name it "Duplicate contact" and make it open in edit the duplicated contact. This will be very useful!

RobFreundlich
09-18-2012, 07:49 AM
I like the trick for creating template events. However, even better would be built-in template functionality for events (and tasks, contacts, memos, expenses) as well, although I mostly need them for events). The feature would work something like this:

Management of templates:

Somewhere, probably in the main calendar menu, there's a Templates action (similar to Categories). When you choose it, you can add, edit, delete templates.

A template is just like an event, except that:

you can indicate somehow whether its time is fixed or variable
you can indicate somehow that it might apply only to a specific day of the week
other variable-type stuff?

(I'm basing this on the fact that I have some appointments that tend to occur at varying times on varying days, some that are on the same day of the week when they happen, and some that are often at the same time of day when they happen. So the options I listed fit those requirements. I'd be happy to see other choices as well, as long as there was a coherent and clearly stated description of how it all works.)

Using templates

Day view long-click.

When you long-click on a time slot in the Day view, the menu includes "Add from template", which brings up a list of templates. When you pick a template, you get to the Edit Event screen with all of the values filled in. If the time was listed as variable, then the long-clicked time slot's time is filled in; if the time was listed as fixed, that time is filled in.

Day view menu button

When you click the menu button in the Day view, the menu includes "Add from template", which brings up a list of templates. When you pick a template, you get to the Edit Event screen with all of the values filled in. If the time was listed as variable, then the current time (or some time near it is filled in; if the time was listed as fixed, that time is filled in.

Week view long-click.

When you long-click on a time slot in the Week view, the menu includes "Add from template", which brings up a list of templates. When you pick a template, you get to the Edit Event screen with all of the values filled in. The date you long-clicked on is filled in. If the time was listed as variable, then the long-clicked time slot's time is filled in; if the time was listed as fixed, that time is filled in.

Week view menu button

When you click the menu button in the Week view, the menu includes "Add from template", which brings up a list of templates. When you pick a template, you get to the Edit Event screen with all of the values filled in. If the template was marked as applying to a specific day, then that day in the week is used; otherwise, today is used. If the time was listed as variable, then the current time (or some time near it is filled in; if the time was listed as fixed, that time is filled in.

Month view, list view

You get the idea...

Note that I may have gotten the variable day/time wrong here. Maybe what's done in those cases is the next day/time that fits, or something like that. I'm not sure.