PDA

View Full Version : Calendar: too many steps to change a date or time

rfo
09-01-2012, 02:37 AM
The calendar is generally a good product, but for one aspect that is used a lot is burdensome. It takes too many "clicks" to just change the date of an appointment (e.g. postpone to next day). When editing a calendar entry, you go through the following steps:

1. in calendar entry, you select a date field (say the "from" date)
2. in date/time edit mode you again select the start date (you could skip this step, it adds no value)
3. in the month grid you select the new date desired
4. in date/time edit mode you select OK
5. in calendar entry, you choose to save (you could skip this step, it adds no value)

Likewise for a simple change of time (e.g. postpone a meeting from 10am to 3pm). Once you've selected the new time and pressed OK, you should be able to skip the calendar entry "save" step and go straight back to the calendar.

Thanks for considering this efficiency/time-saver feature,
Robert

laurentdjo
09-03-2012, 12:07 PM
I agree: it happens with the new date selector. A super-fast and easy way to move an an appointment will be very welcomed. Laurent.

Kaena
09-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Remember that you can drag-and-drop calendar appointments in the day and week view. Just tap and hold on an appointment and you can drag it to quickly change the time and/or date.

laurentdjo
09-04-2012, 09:22 AM
But, I'm using usually the list view...

rfo
09-16-2012, 03:04 AM
Remember that you can drag-and-drop calendar appointments in the day and week view. Just tap and hold on an appointment and you can drag it to quickly change the time and/or date.

I have tried in the day view, but it's unreliable, because the small sliver sliver of next day visible is too small to drag to and often means that the dropping occurs on the same day or somewhere completely different than intended. I have also tried in the week view, but when you have many items, it's impossible to select an item to drag, you'll invariably select another item than the one you want. And even if the place you want to drop it to is already occupied, there is a chance it may "slip" and go somewhere else, sometimes disappear completely, forcing you to do a search to find it again in a completely different month. In other words, I have found drag and drop to be OK only for some very simple changes within a same week, in week view only, when there are no or almost no simultaneous events at either end.

For anything more complex you need the edit mode. And fewer clicks should be required. I would suggest that when in edit mode you select what you want to change:

1- if it is the date, you go straight to the month view (without the intermediate date and time edit screen), and when the new date is selected go straight back to edit mode (again without going through the intermediate date and time edit screen), then you either save or decide to also change the time

2- if it is the time (only or in addition to the date), you go to the intermediate date and time edit screen, change your time and select OK; that OK should include the save and skip the edit mode, going back to calendar view, because normally you have nothing left to do (normally you change the date before the time)

Thomas
09-16-2012, 10:20 PM
I have tried in the day view, but it's unreliable, because the small sliver sliver of next day visible is too small to drag to and often means that the dropping occurs on the same day or somewhere completely different than intended. I have also tried in the week view, but when you have many items, it's impossible to select an item to drag, you'll invariably select another item than the one you want. And even if the place you want to drop it to is already occupied, there is a chance it may "slip" and go somewhere else, sometimes disappear completely, forcing you to do a search to find it again in a completely different month. In other words, I have found drag and drop to be OK only for some very simple changes within a same week, in week view only, when there are no or almost no simultaneous events at either end.

For anything more complex you need the edit mode. And fewer clicks should be required. I would suggest that when in edit mode you select what you want to change:

1- if it is the date, you go straight to the month view (without the intermediate date and time edit screen), and when the new date is selected go straight back to edit mode (again without going through the intermediate date and time edit screen), then you either save or decide to also change the time

2- if it is the time (only or in addition to the date), you go to the intermediate date and time edit screen, change your time and select OK; that OK should include the save and skip the edit mode, going back to calendar view, because normally you have nothing left to do (normally you change the date before the time)

rfo,

Thanks for the feedback. We will pass this along to the information to the dev team for consideration.