PDA

View Full Version : Elements Being Merged Between Profiles

Hook
09-01-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm running into an odd phenomenon. It might be exclusive to Companion Link Express, but I would check Pro too. I don't have any clues as to what causes it yet, but it might be switching between profiles and/or changing the profile.

What happens, and it has happened 3 times that I know of, is that the settings of one profile will become merged into another, even if those settings make no sense. In the latter case, I'm not sure any harm comes of it immediately unless you need those settings. For example, I found in a profile that used DejaCloud that I had on the Options menu "Reread data from Google on next sync" and "Wipe all records on Google." I only discovered this because, in fact, I was trying to wipe all records on DejaCloud. That's the thing. If you are not checking your settings before a sync (which you generally do only when doing something special), you won't know this problem occurred. I have no idea what would have happened if I had checked the item with Google. I had to change the profile to another sync type and then change it back to fix it.

I haven't found any predictable way of making this happen, but for awhile 'll be checking my settings before syncing, which is a pain, but a small one. I'll let you know if I see it again. For testing purposes, I would try switching quickly between profiles after making sync type changes. I don't know if much can be done about it if t isn't easy to reproduce, but thought you should at least be aware of it. It popped up when I was doing a lot of testing of the latest versions under different syncing methods. It may be that if I stop changing sync methods on my 2 profiles that I won't see it again.

DJOCTO
09-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Interesting report. We'll look into it...

Hook
09-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Letting you know this happened again and while I can't make i happen reliably, it is clear that it is a problem with updating the profile settings when you change the settings on a profile (which probably isn't done often enough by others to show up readily).

I went to switch one of my profiles' sync method from CloudSync to DejaConnect and so I wanted to wipe all the data on the Android before syncing. After I changed and I went to the options menu, it only offered wipe all data on DejaCloud. As I had suspected before, switching to the other profile and then switching back gave me the correct options menu.

Hope this helps.