PDA

View Full Version : Are you syncing Palm Desktop & iPhone 4

Rebecca_Leaves
10-30-2012, 11:25 AM
My Palm device died long ago, but I have kept using the Palm Desktop for my calendar.

I'd like to sync PD with my iPhone--it looks like I can do this with DejaOffice and CompanionLink.

I'm a little nervous about taking the plunge. Of course, I'll make backups of anything I can.

However, I would also like to hear from folks using this configuration on how well it works for them, tips and tricks on how to do it as efficiently as possible, things to be aware of, and so on.

iposchalk
10-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi there Rebecca,

I am a through and through Palm Pilot user since 1987. I have my life still in my Palm M515. I got into looking at DejaOffice and CompanionLink around June 2011. In the beginning, there were quite a few issues I could not commit to it totally, but I was very hopeful. I was still using Palm4.1 on the desktop in a virtual XP environment and syncing to my iPhone. I still have a separate virtual XP environment syncing with my Palm M515. Anyway, I successfully run Palm6.2 desktop on my Vista Ultimate PC and sync to DejaOffice on my iPhone. I have tested all this on a virtual Win8 environment as well and it all works fine. I will stop running the Palm M515 in parallel shortly. Palm’s only supported real replacement in my eyes is DejaOffice and CompanionLink. The support is great by the way and I live in Sydney Australia.

Rebecca_Leaves
10-30-2012, 09:01 PM
I have Palm Desktop 4.1; I didn't know there was a later version. I wonder if I should/can install it.

You say you were syncing Palm Desktop 4.1 with your iPhone--was that using DejaOffice and CompanionLink?

BTW, my computer's OS is Windows XP.

iposchalk
10-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Palm 4.1 is perfect on an XP PC. When you move to any future OS, you will need Palm6.2. Just Google it, as there are many sites you can download it from like http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/32859_en.html. Yes, I use DejaOffice and CompanionLink very successfully and it works with both Palm4.1 and Palm6.2.

iposchalk
10-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Palm4.1 is a solid dekstop version running on XP and as I said above, I was using it on a virtual XP environment with CompanionLink/DejaOffice within a Win7 PC. I have since moved to Palm6.2 on my main Vista PC. If and when you go to a newer OS like Vista, Win7 or Win8, you will need Palm6.2. Just Google it and there are many sites to download it from like http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/32859_en.html . Also, you could always move from Palm desktop to Pimlical desktop (seacrh for it), as it is still supported. No Palm desktop version is supported and sadly, never will be.

Palm syncs work perfectly and always have. CompanionLink/DejaOffice as far as I have found is the only product that incorporates approximately 95-98% of the Palm functionality. I am thankful this product exists and would happy to be a old Palm user advocate of it.

iposchalk
11-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Palm4.1 on XP is great and works perfectly well with CompanionLink and DejaOffice and yes, that was what I was using along with my iPhone. I have since moved to Palm6.2 on my Vista PC as you will need to once you go to any later Window OS like Vista, Win7 or Win8. Just search for it as there are many sites to download from. CompanionLink and DejaOffice is the perfect option to move from your Palm handheld to your iPhone with the luxury of keeping all you data in both your iPhone and your Palm desktop database.

Rebecca_Leaves
11-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks for all that useful info--appreciate it!