PDA

View Full Version : Droid X: Task alarms not notifying

RobFreundlich
08-02-2010, 07:20 AM
On my Droid X, alarms for tasks (created on the droid or on the desktop (Palm with CompanionLink)) aren't producing notifications. If I go to the task in DJO, I have a "Dismiss Alarm" button, but I didn't get any sound, vibration, popup, or entry on the notification bar.

In DJO Settings, under Calendar Settings, I have all four options (Ring, Vibrate, Play Sound, Persistent) checked, but there are no equivalents in Tasks Settings.

I just did an experiment where I set an alarm for a task a couple of minutes in the future, to watch the device and see exactly what would happen. At the appropriate time, the screen dimmed, but nothing else happened. So it looks like it might have been trying to notify me but failed.

RobFreundlich
08-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Something odd happened just a moment ago. I had a recurring task with an alarm I'd set up on my Palm Desktop (ages ago, pre-Droid) and had sync'd to DJO with CompanionLink. It came due, and it actually rang and put a note in the Notification bar. When I swiped to see it, all of the other task alarms I'd been expecting were there as well!

This supports my theory that the app was trying to notify me on the other tasks but had a failure of some kind - they got as far as being entered into some list somewhere (so the alarm that worked could include them), but never made it to the "actually ring and notify" step.

Jason
08-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Your theory sounds correct. The notification system we use right now, the default Android method, isn't that intuitive. Basically if you receive and alarm and "clear" it, but don't dismiss it, and wait for the next alarm, it'll show any previously "cleared" (but not dismissed) alarms. I hope it seems to be working for you now. We plan a major revamp of the alarms in a future release, most likely 1.9.

RobFreundlich
08-03-2010, 06:20 AM
Your theory sounds correct. The notification system we use right now, the default Android method, isn't that intuitive. Basically if you receive and alarm and "clear" it, but don't dismiss it, and wait for the next alarm, it'll show any previously "cleared" (but not dismissed) alarms. I hope it seems to be working for you now. We plan a major revamp of the alarms in a future release, most likely 1.9.

From all I've read (here and other places), it sounds like the Android notification system is quite a mess (odd, really, considering how good most of their other stuff is).

In any case, I just tried again - created an alarmed task on the phone and waited until the alarm time, and it did go off. So maybe it's all fixed now. I'll see what happens with the next few alarmed tasks I create.

What's odd about the initial problem (and doesn't quite fit the scenario you presented) is that the alarms *never* showed up until that recurring one I mentioned. It wasn't a case of "clear but don't dismiss" but rather a case of "never see so never clear or dismiss". So there's still something weird in here. But as I said, I'll keep my eyes open.