PDA

View Full Version : Syncing modified recurring appointments

stevecarter
01-06-2013, 01:47 AM
Hi,

I have recently started using an Android device and have successfully installed DejaOffice and Companion Link.

However, in Outlook I have a number of weekly recurring appointments to which, from time to time, I have to make slight alterations.

When I do a sync after such a modification, the whole appointment goes missing on the Android. :(

Any idea what is going on and how I can put it right?

Thanks.

Stephen Carter

DLP
01-14-2013, 08:10 AM
I too have experienced the same......for the past 6 weeks. Got no response in the forum, submitted a log file and am
waiting to hear back.

Below is a description of the problems

In Outlook I have LUNCH - as a recurring appt @12-1pm Tues/Wed./Thurs./Fri.
I edit each as a seperate appt - by putting in the person and location.
Sync - REMOVED each of the lunch appts in DJO

In Outlook the same occurred for 3:15-3:45 appt. name SC except it noted the edit
for the first SC(Wed)and showed up in DJO with the correct data but again Thurs & Fri.
disappeared

The same occured for an appt. called Records @6:45 - it disappeared/deleted in DJO

-----------
THe edits that did occurr properly were the appts. labeled FS @9 am & 1:15 Wed thru Sat.
as well as PT/WT & Hosp

I have tried deleting the ENTIRE SERIES of recurring appointments and starting again, still I
have the same problem.

Also, I have gone into outlook opening each recurring appointment that did not sync and added
a character to change it again and this seems to work sometimes and the appt. will show up in DJO with
the added character.

I know the program works as I was using it wonderfully being able to sync my data but for over a month
it is causing more problems than I have time to work on. I truly appreciate your help in trying to get this
solved. I am still having serious difficulty!

bmac
02-05-2013, 08:26 AM
I am surprised that there has not been a reply to this post. I, too, have some concerns regarding the handling of recurring items (tasks & events), but I can't yet put my finger on what seems to be the problem. What I do see is a monthly recurring event somehow changed to a weekly event within DejaOffice and I'm not sure how that has happened. As soon as I can develop a specific example, I will post back to this forum.

Belinda
02-08-2013, 11:01 AM
I too have experienced the same......for the past 6 weeks. Got no response in the forum, submitted a log file and am
waiting to hear back.

Below is a description of the problems

In Outlook I have LUNCH - as a recurring appt @12-1pm Tues/Wed./Thurs./Fri.
I edit each as a seperate appt - by putting in the person and location.
Sync - REMOVED each of the lunch appts in DJO

In Outlook the same occurred for 3:15-3:45 appt. name SC except it noted the edit
for the first SC(Wed)and showed up in DJO with the correct data but again Thurs & Fri.
disappeared

The same occured for an appt. called Records @6:45 - it disappeared/deleted in DJO

-----------
THe edits that did occurr properly were the appts. labeled FS @9 am & 1:15 Wed thru Sat.
as well as PT/WT & Hosp

I have tried deleting the ENTIRE SERIES of recurring appointments and starting again, still I
have the same problem.

Also, I have gone into outlook opening each recurring appointment that did not sync and added
a character to change it again and this seems to work sometimes and the appt. will show up in DJO with
the added character.

I know the program works as I was using it wonderfully being able to sync my data but for over a month
it is causing more problems than I have time to work on. I truly appreciate your help in trying to get this
solved. I am still having serious difficulty!

DLP -

Can you please update your signature with your device model, the version of DejaOffice you're using, build of CompanionLink and what sync method you use?

Also, do you sync with the Android calendar?

Does this only affect recurring events where you have made edits to individual instances?

This has been reported by a few users - but for some reason, we can't find a way to reproduce. With your details we'll look into the issue further & hopefully have a resolution soon.

-Belinda

Belinda
02-08-2013, 11:10 AM
I am surprised that there has not been a reply to this post. I, too, have some concerns regarding the handling of recurring items (tasks & events), but I can't yet put my finger on what seems to be the problem. What I do see is a monthly recurring event somehow changed to a weekly event within DejaOffice and I'm not sure how that has happened. As soon as I can develop a specific example, I will post back to this forum.

Hi bmac -

This seems like a different issue from what the other two users in the thread are experiencing...

If you can include your specific information (version number, device, sync method) in your reply, we'll be able to help better/faster. So many times the issues are related to one specific element in your sync setup - so knowing that cuts problem solving time down by a lot.

Thanks -

-Belinda

bmac
02-12-2013, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the response. I am synchronizing through DejaOffice cloud from Microsoft Outlook 2010 to DejaOffice android version 2.3.5 (Samsung Galaxy Note). I have many recurring tasks in Microsoft outlook. Some are weekly but most are monthly. While I can't be specific at this point, every now and then I find a task in DejaOffice android that should be monthly recurring but has mysteriously turned to weekly.

I have wondered if this happens because the recurrence configuration in DejaOffice android is different than in Microsoft Outlook. For example, Outlook allows the user to configure a monthly event to occur on the first Tuesday. While this exact wording is not used in DejaOffice android, the closest is "monthly by day" and I must assume that that will pick the first Tuesday if that event is being manually configured within DejaOffice android on a Tuesday which happens to be the first one of the month. Why could not DejaOffice android use the same recurrence configuration logic as found in Outlook?

Belinda
02-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the response. I am synchronizing through DejaOffice cloud from Microsoft Outlook 2010 to DejaOffice android version 2.3.5 (Samsung Galaxy Note). I have many recurring tasks in Microsoft outlook. Some are weekly but most are monthly. While I can't be specific at this point, every now and then I find a task in DejaOffice android that should be monthly recurring but has mysteriously turned to weekly.

I have wondered if this happens because the recurrence configuration in DejaOffice android is different than in Microsoft Outlook. For example, Outlook allows the user to configure a monthly event to occur on the first Tuesday. While this exact wording is not used in DejaOffice android, the closest is "monthly by day" and I must assume that that will pick the first Tuesday if that event is being manually configured within DejaOffice android on a Tuesday which happens to be the first one of the month. Why could not DejaOffice android use the same recurrence configuration logic as found in Outlook?

bmac -

It is not that we use different logic from Outlook, but simply different wording. DejaOffice doesn't synchronize with only Outlook - so I believe the choice of phrasing was to be general enough for non-Outlook users, too.

Are the tasks edited in Outlook, as well? How often does this happen? Are other patterns - weekly, daily - affected as well?

Thanks -

-Belinda

bmac
02-16-2013, 09:22 AM
yes, most usually the tasks originate in Outlook. I am going to do some testing to see if I can reproduce this error. This morning I was updating my tasks on the android device and noticed again that tasks that should have been monthly showed up as having weekly recurrence.

bmac
02-20-2013, 02:06 PM
I have submitted a support ticket as I have easily duplicated this situation. It is quite annoying to create a recurring task -- let's say for a monthly recurrence -- and then a couple of days later see that it's recurring every week. Somehow DejaOffice android is misinterpreting information from Outlook because it's certainly not Outlook that is doing this. I never had this issue before using companionlink and DejaOffice

fanofdmb
10-22-2013, 10:39 AM
I am also having this issue. Nearly all of my appointments are set up (originally in Outlook) as repeating events. I frequently need to change the times of these events. I did this quite successfully with my iPhone/iTunes but have yet to find software that handles it for my new Galaxy S4.

When changing the times in Outlook, they are removed completely from my phone and no amount of syncing or modifying will get them to reappear. Needless to say, this has caused some serious problems, as many of my appointments are missing and I have to constantly manually re-enter them in my phone, which are then synced to Outlook as duplicates, and it is just a whole hot mess. Very frustrating and very disappointing.

CompanionLink Professional 5, build 5040
MS Outlook 2010, 64 bit
Samsung Galaxy S4 (verizon) Android version 4.2.2
syncing over wifi

DJOCTO
10-23-2013, 10:26 AM
fanofdmb, welcome to the forum.

1. Are you synchronizing to Android Calendar at all? Android Calendar will cause this type of problem, so we do not recommend it.

In DejaOffice Settings, Sync Settings, go to "Sync with Android Calendar App". Make sure this is UNCHECKED.

2. In Outlook, you say you change the time of the recurring appointment. In this case in Outlook it will prompt "Change all events" or "Change this Instance?" Which of these do you select?

fanofdmb
10-23-2013, 11:05 AM
I do not use the native Android calendar at all, only DJO.

I am changing only one occurrence, not the series.

ETA - it also happens if I add location info to one even (not the series). for instance, I'll make a note of a payment made on a Wednesday appointment of a M-F repeating series. I put this in "location" so that it shows up on month view. that also causes the event to disappear from my phone so I do not think it is linked to time changes only, but all modifications to a single event of a repeating series.

rpes
11-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Hello,
I too have experienced some problems when changing recurring appointments in Outlook.

I have a weekly appointment that I add a different note on each individual instance ("Change this Instance?"). I remember at once that all occurrences were showing in DJO. Then, after a sync (I do not know if there were any changes made to a recurring appointment), all the recurring appointments were gone from DJO. However, they all remained in Outlook, so nothing was lost but I do not have the appointment info from the mobile.

I do not sync to the native Android calendar.
I am about to recreate each recurring appointments as individual ones but this is time consuming.

Thanks for any help,

Richard

DJOCTO
11-12-2013, 09:43 AM
fanodbm, welcome to the forum.

I'm guessing you are looking at the wrong spot for your appointments. Please look using DejaCalendar and not the native Android Calendar.

When you make a "Change this instance" in Outlook, you are making an exception to a recurring record.

Android does not allow one-time exceptions. They have no way of showing it. On Android, when you make a "Change this and future" it changes the entire pattern. This system is used for Android Native Calendar, and also Google Sync calendar.

CompanionLink synchronize Outlook data to the extent it can be shown. The whole reason we built DejaOffice is to be able to show items that cannot be shown in Android Calendar.

To Add a shortcut to DejaCalendar, go to Android Desktop; Long press to add a Shortcut, Choose "Apps and Widgets", and then choose "Widgets" and "DejaOffice 1x1". There will be a number of choices for Daily, Weekly Calendar view. You should be able to see your data there.

Note: DejaOffice will reflect Outlook formats then used with CompanionLink USB, Wi-Fi, DejaCloud, CLSH systems. If you choose to synchronize through another companies system like Google Sync, Outlook formats will NOT be supported in DejaOffice. We can only synchronize the data we see.

rpes
11-14-2013, 05:12 PM
DJOCTO,
I guess your last post was an answer to mine. If not, I think it does apply. Thanks for the explanation.

I am not syncing to nor using the native Android Calendar. I am only using DejaCalendar and I am syncronizing using CompanionLink 5074 through local Wi-Fi.

So, if I understand correctly, my recurring appointments with exceptions should be syncing properly to DejaCalendar.

This is where I have a problem. None of those appointments are showing in DejaCalendar.

Thanks for any help,

- Richard

DJOCTO
11-15-2013, 11:25 AM
rpes, welcome to the forum

> So, if I understand correctly, my recurring appointments with exceptions should be syncing properly to DejaCalendar.

Yes, these should all show just fine. The most common thing people report is that they have the wrong folder selected in Outlook. Many people have similar data in a backup folder, and sometimes map this to sync.

1. Go to Outlook, and look at your folders. Make sure they have unique name, and that you only have one "Personal Folder".

2. Go to CompanionLink settings, and check your Outlook Settings, Outlook folder name. Make sure the name matches.

3. Add a non-recurring single-instance appointment, and sync it. Make sure this works.

I really can't think of another case where a single instance exception would not show in DejaOffice Calendar

rpes
11-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Thanks for your help.
As a matter of fact, I do have many other non-recurring single-instance appointments as well as other recurring with no exception. All do sync properly. The only problem I have is with recurring with exception. Strange...

Update: I have duplicated (in Outlook) a few instances of recurring appointments with exception as individual non-recurring ones and, by some magic, all instances of recurring with exception in Outlook are now showing in DejaOffice. However, only one instance of each duplicated instances are showing in DejaOffice. Still strange...