PDA

View Full Version : Push Sync

bmac
04-05-2013, 07:47 AM
I cannot find any information within your support pages that totally explains the differences between DejaCloud Push Sync and the other options in the auto synchronization screen for companion link (now using 5060).

DJOCTO
04-05-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure what to say. It is "Push Sync"; i.e. instant.

That means the device maintains a connection to the DejaCloud server, and whenever there is a change it pushes to the device in realtime.

Our general goal is from PC to Device (via DejaCloud) for 10 seconds or under. Mine currently runs about 6 seconds, which is generally faster than it takes to bring up the view to see whether the data has changed.

bmac
04-06-2013, 04:03 PM
OK, thanks. Does it just push the most recent change or will it pick up un-sync'd changes? Here's the scenario:

I use Outlook 2010 and the PST file resides in DropBox such that I can access the file when I switch from my desktop to my laptop. This has worked like a charm since starting with DropBox several years ago. I only sync to DejaCloud with CompanionLink while using the Desktop and up to now, it is a manual sync. So if I am on the laptop tonight and make several changes to Outlook, those changes get saved with the PST file and will be apparent when I open Outlook on the desktop tomorrow morning. So if I switch to PushSync, and Outlook starts tomorrow morning, will CompanionLink 'see' that changes have been made the night before and pick them up in the next PushSync?

bmac
04-06-2013, 04:14 PM
OK, thanks. Does it just push the most recent change or will it pick up un-sync'd changes? Here's the scenario:

I use Outlook 2010 and the PST file resides in DropBox such that I can access the file when I switch from my desktop to my laptop. This has worked like a charm since starting with DropBox several years ago. I only sync to DejaCloud with CompanionLink while using the Desktop and up to now, it is a manual sync. So if I am on the laptop tonight and make several changes to Outlook, those changes get saved with the PST file and will be apparent when I open Outlook on the desktop tomorrow morning. So if I switch to PushSync, and Outlook starts tomorrow morning, will CompanionLink 'see' that changes have been made the night before and pick them up in the next PushSync?

DJOCTO
04-08-2013, 08:36 AM
It actually "Pushes" the flag that the database is Dirty. Once a sync client sees the flag it runs a full sync and will pick up all unsynchronized data. At least, that's the theory.

Having the PST in dropbox is not something we test. Keep me posted on how it all works.

bmac
04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
okay, thanks, that's what I was hoping.

a question along the same lines -- since I use 2 different PCs on a regular basis with the same PST file, does CompanionLink maintain any synchronization data locally that may corrupt the synchronization of a PST file? The reason I stopped synchronizing using the laptop was that I thought strange things were happening with the synchronization suggesting that CompanionLink is actually saving synchronization data or logs on the local PC.

DJOCTO
04-08-2013, 09:01 AM
bmac, yes, CompanionLink stores what is synchronized locally. Because you use the same file from two computers, I think there may be unintended consequences.

We don't currently have a way to store CL sync settings on a portable drive.

It may be best to always do the CL sync from one or the other computers...

bmac
04-08-2013, 09:11 AM
thanks again. I could resolve this issue if I can store the locally stored data also on dropbox so it would be available to both computers. Could you point me to the file and I to determine if the could be moved in the dropbox? Thanks.

Regards,
Bill

DJOCTO
04-08-2013, 09:24 AM
1. run CompanionLink Setup.
2. Press CTRL-SHIFT-D
3. This is the path.

This is a soft path that is generated according to your Original CL version, and your current Windows User settings. On mine it is:

C:\Users\Wayland\AppData\Roaming\CompanionLink\Com panionLink for Palm Desktop and Pimlical

tbessie
04-08-2013, 10:43 AM
By the way, is it a true push, or is it simulated using frequent polling?
A long-running open TCP connection could be shut down by an ISP or Telco, I'd think.

- Tim

bmac
04-09-2013, 06:27 AM
I decided to give "push sync" a try this morning. As soon as it was started it started syncing -- but it never stopped. It Looping through all of the applications (contacts, tasks, calendar, journal, notes) and finally I had to stop it forcibly. Something must be telling push sync that Outlook is dirty.

DJOCTO
04-14-2013, 02:31 PM
tbessie,

It is not frequent polling.

I'm not sure if there is a technical definition of "True Push". BlackBerry Push, for instance is a proprietary technology.

For DejaOffice, we use a variant of what Messenger and Twitter use. DejaOffice and the Server are "Chat Clients" and they send a message to each other when the database is dirty. So in effect, DejaOffice is like Twitter where you are logged in all the time to a chat client, and messages push in realttime to you.

In our case, we only "Chat" a notification to do a sync. When a chat is received by DejaOffice, it performs a full sync as if you hit the Sync button.

DJOCTO
04-14-2013, 02:57 PM
I decided to give "push sync" a try this morning. As soon as it was started it started syncing -- but it never stopped. It Looping through all of the applications (contacts, tasks, calendar, journal, notes) and finally I had to stop it forcibly. Something must be telling push sync that Outlook is dirty.

Was this on Android or PC?

If it keeps looping, that is probably unrelated to Push. Try just hitting Sync and see if it goes through. Continuous syncing is more likely the sync system hitting and internal data corruption and unable to get by it. Sometimes ScanPST helps if you are using Outlook. If this doesn't help, our tech support may be able to check our internals to see if we can identify the platform where the data corruption sits (i.e. Is it the Cloud database or Local database...)

tbessie
04-16-2013, 02:14 AM
tbessie,

It is not frequent polling.

I'm not sure if there is a technical definition of "True Push". BlackBerry Push, for instance is a proprietary technology.

For DejaOffice, we use a variant of what Messenger and Twitter use. DejaOffice and the Server are "Chat Clients" and they send a message to each other when the database is dirty. So in effect, DejaOffice is like Twitter where you are logged in all the time to a chat client, and messages push in realttime to you.

In our case, we only "Chat" a notification to do a sync. When a chat is received by DejaOffice, it performs a full sync as if you hit the Sync button.

Thanks for the explanation! By "push" I just meant server-initiated (and which would mean that some port on the device would need to be listening all the time, either via keeping it actively open, or a port-connection-attempt-triggered app execution - I'm going from my old knowledge of TCP from my Unix kernel/driver days, so I may be way out of date as far as how those things work now :-) ).

So yeah, server-initiated as opposed to device-initiated, is what I meant.

- Tim

DJOCTO
04-16-2013, 10:53 AM
LOL I know too much.

The appearance is that it is server initiated.

In reality is is a TCP/IP wait system where the client is logged into the server, and the server responds when it wants to... As far as I understand this is how all Chat/Twitter style clients work also.

tbessie
04-16-2013, 01:15 PM
LOL I know too much.

And now you must die? (sorry, watched too many sci fi movies)

The appearance is that it is server initiated.

In reality is is a TCP/IP wait system where the client is logged into the server, and the server responds when it wants to... As far as I understand this is how all Chat/Twitter style clients work also.

Thanks again! I need to read up on this stuff. :-)

- Tim