PDA

View Full Version : Random Contacts Deleted? This can't be good...

Murph
04-21-2013, 08:06 PM
The other day I realized I had accidentally deleted an email I should have kept. As I looked through my recycle bin in Outlook, I noticed several contacts in there which I know I would never have deleted. Eventually I figured out (by clearing the recycle bin, then watching the folder as I synced) that contacts were being deleted during the sync process.

Has anyone encountered this? What horrifies me is how many dozen have disappeared before I noticed, like when I had Outlook set to clear the bin when exiting.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Jellybean 4.2.2, Deja Office 2.4.1
PC: Outlook 7, Companionlink 5 Build 5058

MichaelMoss
04-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Over the past 6 months I've had contacts deleted that were in my Outlook Business Contact Manager (BCM) folder. Due to this bug, I always check for deleted contacts after each sync. Until the issue appeared again today, I had made no changes to the contacts before they were deleted. Prior to this post, I changed a BCM Contact photo...then completed a sync. This contact was deleted. I then moved the contact from the Deleted folder to the active BCM contacts folder.

In addition to the deleted contacts bug, I have also found that the street address is randomly deleted from BCM contacts.

DJOCTO
04-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Let's get to the bottom of this right away.

1. In CompanionLink on the PC, Advanced Settings, Applications there is a section for Deletion Preferences.

This allows you to specify whether to delete only on the PC (the default) or to delete on PC or Device. What setting do you have here?

You can set this to "Outlook is my primary" and records will not be deleted in Outlook.

2. In the case of the deleted records on the PC, what is the status on the Android? Is the record there, or is it deleted?

3. Street address deleted (i.e. field blanking out) is an unrelated process. The most common case historically is a 2 or 3 line street address which runs into mapping problems. A two line address is like this; 811 SW Naito Pkwy / Suite 611. So it's usually some characteristic of the address, when sent to native database, gets scrambled by it, and comes back blanking out part. We are always very interested in finding these cases and getting them fixed. As I mentioned, this is a field-mapping issue and unrelated to whole records moving to the deleted items folder.

Thanks for the info.

MichaelMoss
04-22-2013, 04:26 PM
I believe I understand the Deletion Preferences and I change it to fit my sync needs. My "normal" configuration is "Records deleted in both Outlook and Android will be synchronized". For the records that were randomly deleted, I had not deleted any of them from Outlook or my phone. When the records are randomly deleted, they are deleted from Outlook and my phone. From my understanding, there was no reason the records should have been deleted.

I agree the street address issue is unrelated. This was my attempt to identify another records issue in a single thread. The records affected have been single line addresses...some of which were populated by the Google mapping feature. And FYI, I continue to find BCM Contacts with deleted birthday and/or anniversary dates.

As a DJO/CL user for almost 3 years, I continue to see the above contact issues at times. I welcome the opportunity to provide any help that could lead to permanent fixes.

Best regards,
MEM

Murph
04-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Let's get to the bottom of this right away.
1. In CompanionLink on the PC, Advanced Settings, Applications there is a section for Deletion Preferences.
This allows you to specify whether to delete only on the PC (the default) or to delete on PC or Device. What setting do you have here?
You can set this to "Outlook is my primary" and records will not be deleted in Outlook.

2. In the case of the deleted records on the PC, what is the status on the Android? Is the record there, or is it deleted?

I just changed the setting to "Outlook is Primary." I had it set to the third one (Records deleted in both A & O will be synced.)

As for the second question... Oddly enough I never thought to look, but next time this happens I will see if the rogue contact is present or absent from both the android contact list and the Deja Contact list.