PDA

View Full Version : Android widgets? Backup/restore funtion to SD cards?

egosumqt
05-09-2013, 04:49 AM
Hi peoples.

I've only started using DejaOffice recently (the past fortnight or so) and I think its a GREAT app ;) ! I was a Palm user and was hanging onto my old dying Tungsten when I finally decided it was time to move onto Android. When I did, I tried heaps of other PIMs until I finally managed to stumble across DejaOffice. I really love the app. It works a lot like Palm did and I'm very grateful to the developers of this program (Thank you thank you thank you ).

However, now that I have finally embraced Android, I'd like to make a request! I have a Samsung Galaxy Note (N7000) and the Galaxy Tab 7.0 (P3100). I am quite happy with the Samsung range EXCEPT their pre-loaded programs. But I like the idea of their S-Memo and S-Planner widgets, particularly where you can see a memo page or daily/weekly/monthly planner widget on the homepage(s), without having to open the program to look for something. Would it be possible to add some sort of widget feature like that into DejaOffice? While the shortcuts are a good feature, it would save some time if I could see my day in a glance as the homepage.

Secondly, would it be possible to create a function where we could back up/restore our DejaOffice information to external memory (e.g. SD cards)? I used to do this fairly often while I was travelling (as a paranoid piece of mind thing) and I couldn't back up to my computer. While I can sync/back up information to Outlook now, when I'm travelling this won't be possible. Like this year, I'll be away from home for 6 weeks!! What if something happens to my device while I'm travelling? I don't want to go the Cloud route (and one of the reason I like DejaOffice is because I can sync without Cloud) - I'd prefer it if there was a backup/restore ability built into DejaOffice (or if there was a related program like CompanionLink) we could use to backup/restore DejaOffice information into an SD card.

Thanks for the consideration! I hope these features may appear one day but even if it doesn't I'll still keep using DejaOffice!

Cecil
05-10-2013, 12:41 AM
Hi have you tried the "DejaToday " widget. I use the 4x4 widget and have it on a home screen next to my main Home screen on my HTC Wildfire. On my Nexus have the same widget and you can also setup a shortcut to DejaToday for more detail and direct access to calendar events.

Hope this goes some way to meeting your needs

egosumqt
05-19-2013, 05:59 AM
Hi Cecil,

Thanks for your post.

I have finally discovered the "DejaToday" widget! I think I didn't recognise what it could do because on the widget page, all it shows is the Dejaoffice app symbol, so I didn't know it was like the S-Planner widget. It's just what I'm after.

It'd still be nice to have a "memo" widget, where all my little notes are on a 4x4 widget as well (something similar to the T Memo or S Note widget).

And I really hope someone from DejaOffice is thinking about a way to backup info onto the SD card!! Backing up apps is a nice option provided by a few free apps, but backing up info seems to be a totally different story. At the very least, I'd like to back up info stored in DejaOffice onto an SD card - this would be a VERY handy feature to have when I'm travelling and can't backup/sync with my desktop (Outlook). Please please please someone look into this!

Cecil
05-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Glad to have been of help.

I can't help with your backup problem, my data is backed up on my PC through my ACT PIM program. Been using Companionlink for years starting using it to sync my Palm to ACT. They have always worked hard to resolve any issues.

DJOCTO
05-21-2013, 02:35 PM
egosumqt, welcome to the forum.

DejaOffice does make it's own backup periodically. It is simply stored with the main data file, however, it protects against scrambled data.

With some sync methods (USB Sync) the backup is actually moved to the PC automatically.

You can move the data file manually simply by copying \clusb\companonlink.db to your PC or wherever. If you have chosen to encrypt it then it will be an AES 256 encrypted database. Otherwise it is just a SQLite database file that can be read with SQLite.

As we develop DejaCloud, we are keen to use that as a backup storage system. We do currently back the data up currently. However, right now only our team could restore it. I hope in a few months that we can offer an automated restore system that would allow each individual control over the Cloud backup.

I hope this information helps.

HarryN
05-25-2013, 09:35 AM
I like this idea of backing up locally. One of the reasons I have stayed with the Nokia Symbian platform is that I have not figured out how to backup my contacts and info "only to my pc or local device" rather than them ending up on the cloud. I consider the requirement to back up contact information to the could as a significant business security breach. Sync with gmail - no way.

egosumqt
05-27-2013, 04:36 AM
Like HarryN, I would not like to use Cloud as a backup. I only want to backup to my PC and when my PC's not available, to a memory card.

To DJOCTO, so if I copy this \clusb\companonlink.db folder to my external SD card, if my device crashes or gets stolen/lost but I have this folder copied onto a separate memory card, I should be able to restore my data? Contacts, calender etc?? If that's correct, I'll be fairly happy with this solution while I am travelling (and therefore cannot back up my data to PC periodically)! Thanks for the advice.

Is there any way to make this an auto back function to memory card, instead of doing it manually?

DJOCTO
05-28-2013, 10:43 AM
I think we can work on this. I'm going to spec out a backup system for DejaOffice. If it has a manual mode, and timed mode, and a way to see files with dates and restore them, I think that will be a great addition.

egosumqt
06-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Yes! Thank you! I love your idea! A manual and auto back up (and restore) function, as well as the ability to see files date, would be a great addition!

My brother (who doesn't currently use DejaOffice) had to format his smart phone for some reason so lost all his data. And since he doesn't like Cloud either, it was difficult and time consuming for him to re-enter all his data. Boy was he upset!