PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy S USB Settings (Captivate, Vibrant, Facinate, Epic 4G)

Jason
08-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Most Samsung Galaxy S phones (Captivate, Vibrant, Fascinate, Epic 4G, Galaxy S) enter MTP /Samsung Kies mode when the USB cable is connected. This mode is prevents DJOA from synchronizing, since it doesn't allow mounting of the SD card. When in this mode, users will see one of the following two things happen on their phone when they connect the USB cable:

I) The device displays "MTP Application". All UI functions are disabled.

- or -

II) The device displays the message "PC connection only available on idle screens. Close running applications".
NOTE: This happens if you have any app open on the device when connecting the USB cable.

To Syncronize DejaOffice using CompanionLink USB, you need to change the Samsung S USB Settings to allow "Mass Storage" mode. Here is how to do so:

1. On the Phone, from the Desktop windows, click on the Menu Button and chooose Settings. Then choose Applications and USB Settings.

Note: On some phones choose Settings, then About Phone and USB Settings.

2. Change the USB Settings option from "Samsung Kies" to either "Mass Storage", or "Ask on connection".

3. If you select "Ask on Connection", then when you connect the cable, the notification manager will show a USB Notification on the top of the Android screen. Slide down on this notification, and select "Mass Storage" mode.

After selecting, DejaOffice will synchronize.

dammy
08-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Thank you so much. This information is, what I was looking for, for a long time.

Jason
08-10-2010, 08:50 AM
dammy-
Sorry for not having it up here sooner. We're glad to know it helped.

JayinToronto
08-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Jason does this option still allow cloud synching with android/google calender etc?

Kaena
08-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi Jay,

I think I may have spoken with you earlier today (we chatted about the lack of powerful Android phones in Canada, its a bummer!)

Short answer - yes.

Here's how it works: Data initially syncs from the PC to DejaOffice using CompanionLink's USB sync. DejaOffice then has the ability to either keep that data separate, or integrate with the native Android contacts and calendar databases. The native Android contacts/calendar databases are further divided into multiple subaccounts - most Android phones have a "Phone" account (for local contacts/calendar storage) and a "Google" account (contacts and calendar that sync with Google). In DejaOffice, under Settings > Sync Settings, you can specify which Android account DejaOffice should sync with. If you enable DejaOffice to sync with the Google account within the native Android database, then any contacts and calendar that you sync in from the PC will appear in DejaOffice, in the native Android contacts and calendar apps, and also within your Google account.

Does this make sense? I think we need a diagram.

Werner Schwab
09-09-2010, 04:55 AM
There is no "phone" account on Samsung Galaxy Andriod 2.1 after installation on a "Google" Account for contacts and then there is no possibility to create groups in contacts.

fjsbg
09-09-2010, 09:56 PM
in the support video http://www.companionlink.com/support/setupguides-android-usb.html - Minute 3:38, the HTC phone shows 4 connect options:
1. HTC sync, 2. Charge Only, 3 and 4 barely readable and recommends "Charge only"
the video refers to http://www.companionlink.com/support/ for suitable options for other phones than HTC, but: I could not find any related info to this topic browsing the site

the USB options for Samsung GT-I9000 Galaxy S are the following:
1 Samsung Kies
2 Media Player
3 Mass Storage
4 PC-Internet
5 ask on connection

there is no "charge only" mode as mentioned in the video

I used "mass storage" with the following popups (and questions):

Mobile: "Wait for the PC to finish syncing, then disconnect the USB cable. (with OK button)"
PC: Windows Explorer for drive F and G would show up and without action disappear
after a while (when working) a finished message appears

my questions:
is mass storage the correct setting?
is it intended (or unavoidable) that windows explorer for F and G appear?
when removing the mobile from USB: do I have to use the "securely remove hardware" functionality first or simply unplug the cable?

when simply unplugging the cable, messages on the phone appear like "sync not successful"
- even after the message appeared "sync is finished" -> this is confusing - what happened?
(could it be that I did not unplug fast enough and a second sync started, but the first sync was successful, while the second one did not finish?)

anyway: frustrating is that "purge and reload" for contacts did not purge the contacts on the mobile ... :-(

I hope by the end of the evaluation period, I will be successful with syncronizing my Palm Desktop 6.2 contacts with Galaxy S ... :-)

for trial purposes, I set up a separate Palm Desktop user with a dummy entry in contacts so I can see what happens without touching my real contact data before making shure nothing unexpected happens ...

wendylewis
09-23-2010, 10:54 AM
I just got a samsung Facinate from verison wireless. I had a palm treo. I DO NOT wish to change all my calandar and contacts to google. How do I use deja office to sync with outlook and use both my phone and home pc for outlook?

HARRENT
10-12-2010, 11:36 AM
have the Epic 4G (Samsung Galazy S) and tried USB syncing twice both ways---with Mass Storage Mode and once choosing Charging mode----still not syncing BACK to the Palm Desktop. I have an issue with the phone not receiving texted pics (MMS?) and am afraid to take it to Sprint since if they give me another new phone---I am not "backed up" to my PC with DejaOffice.

HELP?????

PS: Does DJO back up the data to the internal SD card? If so then could I then put DJO into the new phone and "RESTORE" the data from the card???

DJOCTO
10-12-2010, 05:08 PM
DejaOffice data is on the SD Card. It is in "usb/companionlink.db" which is a sqlite file. You can easily copy this off, and restore onto another phone. This is ONLY data records in DejaOffice and not Android Contacts or Android Calendar. Pictures may be stored separately.

If you get a new phone, transferring the SD card will preserve all the DejaOffice data.

ERicJ
10-14-2010, 10:12 PM
To Syncronize DejaOffice using CompanionLink USB, you need to change the Samsung S USB Settings to allow "Mass Storage" mode. Here is how to do so:

1. On the Phone, from the Desktop windows, click on the Menu Button and chooose Settings. Then choose Applications and USB Settings.

Note: On some phones choose Settings, then About Phone and USB Settings.

I can find no such menu settings on the Epic4G. Perhaps the instructions need to be updated...?

HowardPacker
10-14-2010, 11:15 PM
You can just roll down the notification bar from the top, and click on "USB connected." Same procedure to unmount except that the selection would then be "Turn off USB storage."

elvisfan
11-06-2010, 04:02 PM
My wife just received a new Captivate from Samsung and AT&T. We are trying out Companionlink USB with Office. It worked, but we couldn't figure out how to get the information to the Android Calendar and Contacts. The above information answered my question. Thanks. It looks like we will be buying this software.

Bowser
11-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Kaena,

When I installed Deja on my Samsung Captivate, I did not know that it would sink contacts to the phone's Google account in the phone. Now, I have over 900 contacts in the native contact app. Do you know how to delete the contacts out of the native contact manager? I would like to keep them in Deja.Thanks,

DJOCTO
11-29-2010, 05:42 AM
Here are some steps to completely clean out an Android phone, and re-establish the databases from the PC.

====If you have contacts in Google you wish to keep=======

Turn off Google Contacts sync on the Android:
1. Open Settings. Select "Accounts", "Accounts & Sync", or "Data Synchronization"
2. Select the Google account (if available)
3. Uncheck Contacts and/or Calendar
NOTE: With Auto-Sync turned off, your Contact and Calendar data will no longer be sent to Google.

Manually clear out contacts in the native app:
1. Go to Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All/Contacts Storage
NOTE: If you do not see "All" select Menu/Filter/All
2. Select Clear Data
NOTE: The "Clear Data" option is not available on Droid X running Android OS 2.1

====If you have contacts in Google that you DO NOT want======

Clear out contacts in Gmail
1. Log in to your Gmail account and clear out your contact list.
2. Let this sync to Android so the Android list is also clear.

Turn off Google Contacts sync on the Android:
1. Open Settings. Select "Accounts", "Accounts & Sync", or "Data Synchronization"
2. Select the Google account (if available)
3. Uncheck Contacts and/or Calendar
NOTE: With Auto-Sync turned off, your Contact and Calendar data will no longer be sent to Google.

====Clear everything out of DejaOffice====
1.If your device has a keyboard, open DejaOffice to the main screen and type "RESET"
2.If your device does not have a keyboard tap and hold the menu button and then type "RESET"
3.Select "Yes" to Reset the Database
NOTE: RESET Method does not work on Galaxy S phones
4.If this still does not work, connect the phone to the PC
5.Mount the phone in USB Storage mode
6.On the PC look for the clusb folder and delete it
7.Unmount the phone from the PC/Turn off USB Storage mode

=====Clean up your PC data and re-sync=======
1. On your PC, make sure your contact manager is free of duplicates and any unwanted data.
2. Finally, in CompanionLink select "Reread PC data on next sync" from the options menu. This will replace all the data on the phone.

Questmp
12-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi. Sorry if I am not using the correct way. I am just new at those foruns ways. I live in Brazil and I have bought a Sansung Galaxy S GT I9000 with android os 2.1 update 1. I have tried to use the Kies of sansung to sync my outlook contacts, calendar, notes and tasks, but unfortunatelly I have discovered that this sync sansung way have lost many of my data of the calendar. So, I am really upset with this problem. Searching the internet I have founf this way to use the companion software and dejaOffice for android. Coudl anyone give me an idea if those software works well at this phone? What can I have to do with the Kies sync program? Do they work together or they are incompatible? Is there any chance to damage the phone? I am not an expert like most of you but I need to solve this problem very soon. Thanks for any help.

casho88
12-06-2010, 09:58 AM
I put my Galaxy into Media Player mode when syncing it to my PC and now i cant seem to switch it back to mass storage or kies mode because the option is not visible anymore. Do u know why?

Irish2Ice
12-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Quoted: "Question No "phone" acount on Samsung Galaxy"

There is no "phone" account on Samsung Galaxy Andriod 2.1 after installation on a "Google" Account for contacts and then there is no possibility to create groups in contacts.

Exactly!! I have the Fascinate and my only options are to sync with Google...@gmail default account or Facebook(ugh). Because the only option is Google and no "phone" option, duplicates are made in the Adroid native contacts FROM Dejaoffice.

Irish2Ice
12-09-2010, 10:06 AM
I just got a samsung Facinate from verison wireless. I had a palm treo. I DO NOT wish to change all my calandar and contacts to google. How do I use deja office to sync with outlook and use both my phone and home pc for outlook?

I would also like to know how to do this. I was only able to sync when I selected "google" and that duplicated my contacts-----One native "phone" contact and a "google" contact. The will link/merge, but the contact then has DOUBLE EVERYTHING when you select the contact. :confused:

Thomas
01-24-2011, 08:42 AM
I would also like to know how to do this. I was only able to sync when I selected "google" and that duplicated my contacts-----One native "phone" contact and a "google" contact. The will link/merge, but the contact then has DOUBLE EVERYTHING when you select the contact. :confused:

There a re a number of ways to use CompanionLink SW to sync with DejaOffice on your Android Phone.
Specifically bypassing Google is a popular method with our customers.
I would refer to the setup guides, please post a specific question if you run into problems.
http://www.companionlink.com/support/setupguides.html

Thomas
03-10-2011, 09:59 AM
There a re a number of ways to use CompanionLink SW to sync with DejaOffice on your Android Phone.
Specifically bypassing Google is a popular method with our customers.
I would refer to the setup guides, please post a specific question if you run into problems.
http://www.companionlink.com/support/setupguides.html

Hi Everyone,

We have a new Android build that addresses some of the issues presented in this thread.

It is a new BETA update to DejaOffice for Android, v1.10.9. This is only available at www.dejaoffice.com/androidapp.

DejaOffice v1.10.9
-added USB sync support for Samsung Epic 4G devices updated to Android OS 2.2 (Froyo)
-DejaCalendar and DejaTasks now allow searching records when linking contacts
-new tasks now default to no due date vs today's date
-fixed multiple issues with tablet mode crashing in various screens (DejaCalendar edits, DejaToday, and DejaExpenses)
-fixed an issue where the date picker in tablet mode did not display the full month
-fixed an issue in tablet mode where contacts did not display in business/micro modes
-fixed an issue where DJOA would crash after removing a task due date
-fixed an issue where the default alarm date picker could be set for 12/31/1969
-fixed an issue where non-recurring tasks would not sync via Wi-Fi or CLSH
-fixed an issue in tablet mode where default alarm times were not set