PDA

View Full Version : DJOW Critical Features Needed (IMO)

davchoy
09-04-2013, 01:08 AM
Dejoffice may be the tie breaker of should I should stick with Window mobile (main reason : outlook and file encrytion) or should I move forward with another platform. A couple of questions :
1. Does DJOW support Outlook 2003
2. Does what PC OS matters? I use Vista Business.
3. Does DJOW support Traditional Chinese language.
4. Outlook have numerous fields. Do you provide mapping information of DJOW fields against Outlook fields so that I can make sure all used fields can be sync.?
5. Sounds like if we use DJOW, then this is replacing WP8's corresponding function (eg. we should not be entering contacts into the WP8 build in Contact or use the default calender function?) If this is the case, will our use of the WP8 capaibilites be somewhat deprived. Can't think of anything off hand but a concern.
6. When the notes / contact are being password proctected in WP8 by DJOW, after being upsync to PC, are they still password protected and can it be open, edit and re-password enable for next downsync to WP8?
7. Apart from Notes, if I have other files (eg. excel, word, photos etc.), can I use the CompanionLink to sync it to be my PC two? (Preferrably be able to apply a password or make it an encrypt file for it to be decrptyed at the PC level.) I am using a WM6.5 phone and a third party software by Resco (File explorer) to do that currently.
Many thanks, eagerly waiting for reply.

DJOCTO
09-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Davchoi, welcome to the forums.

Offhand I would say that the richest feature set goes with the most popular phones. Windows Phone, with a 4% share of the US market, will not have the number of features found in Android, with a 50% share. Likewise, for a development company like us, we need to apportion our development time according to revenue.

> 1. Does DJOW support Outlook 2003

Yes. This is through CompanionLink

2. Does what PC OS matters? I use Vista Business.

No. All Windows PC OS's are pretty much the same now.

> 3. Does DJOW support Traditional Chinese language.

We have not formally tested this with WP8. It should work fine to transfer data. The App itself is currently English only.

Our DejaOffice for Android is the only one with Traditional Chinese, which is a reflection of the overall market and that we took the time to get this done because of popularity. So Windows Phone will follow if it gains enough following in Taiwan or Hong Kong or wherever else Trad Ch is needed.

> 4. Outlook have numerous fields. Do you provide mapping information of DJOW fields against Outlook fields so that I can make sure all used fields can be sync.?

DejaOffice for Windows Phone - DejaContacts offers 9 "custom fields" that are mapped from Outlook Contact fields. Any field may be selected.

We do not offer field mapping for Calendar, or Tasks.

> 5. Sounds like if we use DJOW, then this is replacing WP8's corresponding function (eg. we should not be entering contacts into the WP8 build in Contact or use the default calender function?) If this is the case, will our use of the WP8 capaibilites be somewhat deprived. Can't think of anything off hand but a concern.

Contacts: DejaContacts can sync with Windows Phone Contacts, so you can enter on either one.
Calendar: Windows Phone does not have a Calendar API (last we checked) so you need to use DejaCalendar to enter data.

> 6. When the notes / contact are being password proctected in WP8 by DJOW, after being upsync to PC, are they still password protected and can it be open, edit and re-password enable for next downsync to WP8?

Password Protection is on the phone, and it is persistent after a sync.
On the PC, it will be marked "Private". However, Outlook does not have Password protection. There may be Outlook Plugins that offer this.

> 7. Apart from Notes, if I have other files (eg. excel, word, photos etc.), can I use the CompanionLink to sync it to be my PC two?

At CompanionLink our focus is Contacts, calendar, tasks and Memos. We synchronize associated data, like contact pictures. But that is all. We do not handle Email since that appears to be well handled by each device. There are other products which handle Word, Excel and Pictures.

I hope this information is useful.

davchoy
09-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Thanks for providing (some) answers. Would like to further clarify:

1. Mapping of Contact fields : I'd like to know, for example, outlook has more than 10 fields to store phone numbers, do you have same field name for corresponding ones (I can accept you may not provide lesser no. of fields). I just want to be sure that a office phone will be sync to a office phone field (or whatever, as long as it is known beforehand and I can prepare the data properly before syncing.

2. Do u mean that I can just use Companionlink to sync my outlook contact into wp8 contact and hence not use dejaoffice's contact function at all?

3. Can you shed some lights on those outlook plugin that offers password protection? (eg what search word to use from we search to find them?) BTW, as your Companionlink product focus on sync between mobile device and the PC, and have developed a product (dejaoffice) for the mobile end; I would expect password protection, being such a nice feature to use, should not be "neurtalized" once any sensitive data being transferred up. This kind of discourage people's interest to use this feature.
On the same subject, I may not use the password protection on individual contact field, but certainly may want to password protect some memo (note). From what you have mentioned above, I guess once sync to the PC, it will also be noted as password protect but it can be open as any other memo/note created by the PC without password control? And any outlook plugin that helps the contact fields should help memo/note too?

Rgds

DJOCTO
09-06-2013, 11:39 AM
> 1. Mapping of Contact fields : I'd like to know, for example, outlook has more than 10 fields to store phone numbers,

We match all the important ones. Some are not used like Telex, Tty and ISDN.

> 2. Do u mean that I can just use Companionlink to sync my outlook contact into wp8 contact and hence not use dejaoffice's contact function at all?

DejaOffice Contacts will always be populated as part of the sync process. I recommend using it as it has many more features, like categories, that are not in the native wp8 contacts.

> 3. Outlook Privacy

We don't program outlook itself.