PDA

View Full Version : Couple of outlook sync questions

onmywayup
08-14-2010, 07:12 AM
I'm really excited to have found dejaoffice, but I have a couple of questions before installing.

1) When syncing dejaoffice with Outlook 2007, does the calender data come straight from outlook, or does it have to 'pass through' android's native calender first?

2) Do Outlook Calender's color categories sync as well? I rely heavily on these and this would be awesome.

3) Am I correct in assuming that in order to Sync with outlook, I need to purchase the $40 companion software?

Thanks so much for the software and the help. I'm really stoked to have the ability to schedule from the road!

Brian

onmywayup
08-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Nothing? Somebody must have gone through this before and can let me know if purchasing the sync module iis worth it?

Jim Brown
08-15-2010, 10:51 AM
onmywayup,

I am sure you will get a reply from the DJO guys on monday that is more definitive. But from my limited understanding, so don't hold me to it as though it is true truth. Which is why I am thinking no one else has answered your questions as we are all newbies....

DJO syncs with the native calendar and contacts then syncs with Outlook then syncs again with the native apps. Notes and Tasks only sync with Outlook as there are no native apps for those.

You might want to read the setup guide and watch the tutorial video before syncing at http://www.dejaoffice.com/forums/showthread.php?110-DejaOffice-Classroom-A-Complete-Guide-amp-Walkthrough-for-DejaOffice

Colors do NOT sync. But you can go into the Categories setup and set your colors manually to match your Outlook colors. I love it, but it is manual.

And yes, the CompanionLink USB app is needed for syncing with Outlook. I do believe there is a 14 day trial before you have to buy. So no cost to try it out.

Just read and watch the info. Also I have gone into my Droid settings and turned off the syncing of calendars and contacts with google. I no longer use google... THANKS DJO guys!!! All my information is now secure on my Phone and Outlook.. no more cloud data to be hacked :)

If you don't turn off the calendar and contact sync with google, you WILL get some duplications and have some issues.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Soapy123
08-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Hi onmywayup:

I noticed that my Outlook category colors are not syncing and see that you mentioned that it can be done, but manually. I have 760 contacts. Are you saying that I have to go into each and every contact and manually click the button that says "category," then choose a category?

760 times? I hope that I am misunderstanding you. If I am, please advise and explain a better process. If I am not misunderstanding you and this IS the process, somebody please (!) give me the link to tech support because I would like to send this to their attention.

Thanks!

Soapy123
08-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi Brian:

As I understand it, you must use the CompanionLink software to work and sync with Outlook. CompanionLink will give you a 14 day trial period to check it out before buying.

onmywayup
08-15-2010, 05:05 PM
As I understand it so far, since Google Calender does NOT support categories/layers, you would lose any category data that you may have assigned to a calender or contact, since CompanionLink transfers data FIRST to google calender, THEN to DejaOffice. So you would have to go in and re-add all of your category information once the stuff gets to Deja.

That is how I understand it so far. However, I could be totally wrong here which is why I'm asking questions.

For me, it's a much bigger deal to have to re-add the categories since I assign each calender appointment a category depending on what type of work it is (we are a residential service/maintenance company). It would be a deal killer if I had to assign categories on the computer when i schedule something from the office, then go and assign those categories AGAIN on the phone once things sync up.

So, I'm hoping I'm wrong and the category colors DO somehow transfer when the computer syncs with the phone and vice versa, even though the data 'passes through' Google Calender first.

Soapy123
08-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi onmywayup

thanks for the reply. It appears that the category colors are not syncing from Outlook to the samsung Vibrant. I just did the sync and it didn't work.

Remember that I too am new with this phone AND the software, so it is possible that I missed something.

I also noticed that the sync did not delete a contact on my phone that I deliberately deleted in Outlook as a test. So, I still see some quirks, but they could be operator difficulty.

Still trying!

ascharli
08-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi...

I had an IT professional help me purchase deja office and download. My phone only synced about 1/2 of my contacts in my Outlook. How do I get it to sync all of my contacts??? The calendar and other items are syncing fine.

Thanks!

Ben
08-16-2010, 04:25 PM
onmywayup - Answers are in-line:

> 1) When syncing dejaoffice with Outlook 2007, does the calender
> data come straight from outlook, or does it have to 'pass through'
> android's native calender first?

Calendar data does not have to 'pass through' Android's native calendar first. Calendar data comes straight from Outlook. Sync with the native calendar is a secondary process, which occurs after the Outlook <> DJO sync completes. This process can be selectively enabled/disabled.

> 2) Do Outlook Calender's color categories sync as well? I rely
> heavily on these and this would be awesome.

Categories colors should sync from Outlook. However, any categories whose colors you've manually specified on Android will not get overwritten with Outlook colors.

> 3) Am I correct in assuming that in order to Sync with outlook, I
> need to purchase the $40 companion software?

Download the free trial first. It's fully functional for 14 days.

http://www.companionlink.com/downloads/index.html

Ben
08-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Soapy123 and Jim - Category colors should sync from Outlook to Android. However, any categories whose colors you've manually specified on Android will not get overwritten with Outlook colors.

Soapy123 - You can manually assign colors using the Categories app in DejaOffice. You'd only need to assign the color once per category, not once per contact item.

sorapp
08-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Soapy123 and Jim - Category colors should sync from Outlook to Android. However, any categories whose colors you've manually specified on Android will not get overwritten with Outlook colors.

Soapy123 - You can manually assign colors using the Categories app in DejaOffice. You'd only need to assign the color once per category, not once per contact item.

My experience with category colors is just the opposite. I could not get the Outlook colors to sync correctly to DJO. I manually modified the colors in DJO to match Outlook and now they sync correctly every time. Am I doing something wrong here?

onmywayup
08-17-2010, 04:10 AM
Ben,

Thanks for the answers.

However, it only appears that categories Sync up when you do a direct USB link, but not wireless, right?

Soapy123
08-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Hi onmywayup:

Have you been able to sync wirelessly?

1. What phone are you using?
2. How did you accomplish this feat?

I have been trying to get more info about this process but this is the first time I have heard someone say that it could be done (using DejaOffice).

If anyone else knows about this I would appreciate any info.

I used to be able to sync with bluetooth with my blackberry and walk away from my computer all over my house. Right now I am "tethered" to the computer with the USB cable and feel stuck.

thanks!

Ben
08-17-2010, 12:35 PM
onmywayup - Categories should sync wirelessly. Basically, Outlook categories sync to Google as groups. Google group info transfers to native Android Contacts. DJO reads groups from native Android Contacts and stores them as categories.

Soapy123
08-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi Everyone:

I was able to fix the category sync problem with Outlook and wanted to let you know what I did in case someone was having the same problem.

1. I checked my Outlook contacts to make sure the categories were the way I wanted them to be.
2. I then changed my settings in CompanionLink to a ONE way sync FROM my computer TO my cellphone

Before this I was using a two-way sync and all my stuff was getting screwed up.

So, the trick was to do the one-way sync from Outlook to the cellphone. Of course, remember to change this setting back to two-way when finished.

Hi onmywayup:

I noticed that my Outlook category colors are not syncing and see that you mentioned that it can be done, but manually. I have 760 contacts. Are you saying that I have to go into each and every contact and manually click the button that says "category," then choose a category?

760 times? I hope that I am misunderstanding you. If I am, please advise and explain a better process. If I am not misunderstanding you and this IS the process, somebody please (!) give me the link to tech support because I would like to send this to their attention.

Thanks!

Soapy123
08-17-2010, 01:14 PM
I was able to get my contact categories to sync, but the CompanionLink calendars are still showing black and white with no colors as it shows on your video.

this is especially visible in the "weekly" mode. So all I see is white blocks on a black background.

Can anyone help with this?

Also, how do I start a NEW post on this board?

I'm really excited to have found dejaoffice, but I have a couple of questions before installing.

1) When syncing dejaoffice with Outlook 2007, does the calender data come straight from outlook, or does it have to 'pass through' android's native calender first?

2) Do Outlook Calender's color categories sync as well? I rely heavily on these and this would be awesome.

3) Am I correct in assuming that in order to Sync with outlook, I need to purchase the $40 companion software?

Thanks so much for the software and the help. I'm really stoked to have the ability to schedule from the road!

Brian

Ben
08-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Soapy123 - Calendar events will show as white blocks in the week view if either a) they have no category assigned, or b) they have a category assigned that has no color. In case b, you can set colors for your categories using the Categories app in DJO.

Soapy123
08-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Hi Ben:

You have answered my question. I am a little disappointed because I actually use my calendar in Outlook like a task scheduler. For instance, at 2:00, open the gate for the lawn man. That is in the calendar with an alarm. I suppose I could give this the category for LAWN, but it's not worth the effort.

Thanks for the fast response. At least now I won't go crazy trying to figure this out.

Soapy123 - Calendar events will show as white blocks in the week view if either a) they have no category assigned, or b) they have a category assigned that has no color. In case b, you can set colors for your categories using the Categories app in DJO.

onmywayup
08-17-2010, 07:57 PM
onmywayup - Categories should sync wirelessly. Basically, Outlook categories sync to Google as groups. Google group info transfers to native Android Contacts. DJO reads groups from native Android Contacts and stores them as categories.

Then I must have to manually set up the google groups for the first transfer? Because I just tried wirelessly syncing, and the category data is lost. In both directions, each appointment is stored as "no category".

Do I have to set up the corresponding group colors in Google Calender first?

Ben
08-18-2010, 12:24 PM
onmywayup - Sorry, I was referring to contact categories, not calendar. Calendar event categories won't sync wirelessly because the Android Calendar doesn't support them. You need to sync to DJO calendar via USB for this feature.