PDA

View Full Version : Companionlink on 2 PCs

bmac
09-01-2014, 10:28 AM
These days it is not uncommon for road warriors to have two PCs - the desktop and a laptop of some form. For those of us without the ability of using Microsoft exchange, we would like to simply use one PST file shared between the 2 machines. I have been doing this for several years using DropBox to hold the PST file. Granted, one must be careful to make sure that Outlook is totally closed on one machine allowing time for DropBox to update its folder before opening Outlook on the 2nd PC. With the speed of networks and the Internet, this is about 3 minutes for me with a 2 GB PST file.

I certainly would like to use CompanionLink on both machines in order to synchronize the Outlook PST file with my smart phone. In this regard I was wondering if there is a common configuration (XML) file that CompanionLink builds during synchronization that could be shared in a similar DropBox environment between the 2 PCs. That might eliminate any possible confusion created by different XML files.

Cecil
09-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Your licence allows you install Companionlink on up to 3 Computers. You could simply use a mobile device to sync the 2 computers. I used to do this 10 years ago to sync my Act database between my home and work computers.

DJOCTO
09-05-2014, 11:20 AM
bmac, confirmed. You can just install CL on up to three computers. Just enter your email address to register.

Our registration server mediates the number of PCs tied to one license. It does a pretty good job.

bmac
10-06-2014, 06:55 AM
Sorry for the delay in answering. I'm not sure this responds to my question. I do have CompanionLink installed on both PCs under one license, but each PC maintains its own "settings" file. I was under the impression that CompanionLink would update an XML file maintaining certain information about the most recent synchronization. It is that file I was hoping to share via dropbox on the 2 machines along with the PST file. Am I missing something?

DJOCTO
10-06-2014, 09:55 AM
bmac, CompanionLink settings are unique per PC. We have not configured it to support a shared PST file.

bmac
11-01-2014, 05:55 AM
Thanks, but could you allow the settings file to be saved on dropbox (or other cloud) so it could be shared between 2 PCs?

DJOCTO
11-07-2014, 09:58 AM
bmac, I'll add it to the list. Unfortunately, my programmer who handles Win32 issues is buried neck-deep in the Google Calendar API v2 to v3 changeover. So I don't anticipate any PC changes for at least a month at this point.

bmac
11-08-2014, 04:57 AM
Thanks. That is fine.