PDA

View Full Version : sync: "dont sync private records" setting not respected

dbabits
09-14-2014, 04:33 PM
DejaOffice - countless bugs..
I have it unchecked.
All privated records made it in regardless.

palm Desktop version 4.1.4
DejaOffice 3.1.2
CompanionLink 6.0.0.0 (build 6018)

DJOCTO
09-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Check the box if you want to keep private records separate.

dbabits
09-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Update: This app doesn't work at all, by my definition.
-syncing multiple times the same Palm data produces vastly different counts in DejaOffice: anywhere between 2875 and 139 calendar entries, randomly.
-Private checkbox doesn't work
-"Synchronize Personal category" does not work - if you check it it seems to ignore all private records, regardless of category they are in
-Categories do/do not show after sync,randomly
-Different counts are reported by Companion Link and DejaOffice
-Depending on where I clicked "Sync" - in the desktop Companion Link or in the Android app - I get different results.
and many more bugs, more than I can list here.

dbabits
09-14-2014, 06:49 PM
actually, it worse than doesn't work, it _appears_ to work, which may give you wrong impression and get you to loose data.

DJOCTO
09-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Update: This app doesn't work at all, by my definition.
> -syncing multiple times the same Palm data produces vastly different counts in DejaOffice: anywhere between 2875 and 139 calendar entries, randomly.

You must have a lot of duplicates in your data. Duplicated records are suppressed by the system ie they are not shown on the handheld.
Look on the PC for any records missin on the Android. You will likely see you have two records with the same first/last name.

> -Private checkbox doesn't work
>-"Synchronize Personal category" does not work - if you check it it seems to ignore all private records, regardless of category they are in

Private/Personal are considered the same. So checking the box affects:
a. Records checkmarked Private
b. Records in the Personal category

The system does not allow you to pick and choose, so to synchronize Personal but not synchronize Private.

> -Categories do/do not show after sync,randomly

Categories that are used will show. Sometimes categories that are not in use are not transferred.

> -Different counts are reported by Companion Link and DejaOffice

Duplicates are suppressed, so in general DejaOffice will show lower counts than on the PC.

I hope this information helps. If you need more information, give tech support a call. They can help you get things straightened out. (503)243-5200 hours 7am-4pm Pacific Time on Weekdays.

dbabits
09-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Thanks for your reply, DejaOffice team, and sorry for being so hard on you, but no, your response doesn't help.

Example:
1) The checkbox in Companion Link says (verbatim): "Do you want to synchronize items from the Personal Category?" -yes/no.
In English, this means: if it's in Personal category, then this checkbox applies.
It doesn't mean that Personal category and Private records are the same! Because a record can be Private,but not in Personal category of course.
I'm sorry to have to break it to you this way, but after you verbalize something, you need to read it, and then you need to read it again.
And try to see if what you wrote reflects what you meant, and how a user might understand it.
I don't know how this one can be argued.

2) Regarding counts. It should also fall into non-controversial category: When you run sync twice, with "Wipe on Android first" option checked, you should get the same counts both times.
Guess what should happen when you run it 3 times in a row? How about 4?
Did you say "same count every time" ?
What should never happen, is getting different count every time, randomly.
But this is what I get with your software.
I don't know what it has to do with duplicates.

3)Speaking of which, NO, I do not have any duplicates in Palm.
But, even if I did, why would you not transfer at least one of the duplicates, if not both?
Instead of transferring 2, you saying you transfer 0 - does this make sense?
It's a rhetorical question, because I do not have duplicates anyway, but your answer does not make sense.

4) Anyway, the app seems to have picked up some data from Palm, and some contacts from Google Contacts, so it made duplicates in Android that way.
Guess what happened when I tried to "merge" them.. It takes 0.5 an hour and crashes. Every time.

5) What do you mean "Sometimes categories that are not in use are not transferred" ? How can it be "sometimes"? Ever heard of deterministic behavior in computing? Or did you mean it's a bug?

Above all, you have to convince the user that his data would not be lost by using your software. Better crash every time.
Your app, and your answers on top of it don't convince me at all.
Your answers actually suggest that you don't get that this should be the singular most important thing in your app.
I have 20 years of data in my Palm, and I want to keep it all, now in Android!
This is much more important than sleek UI and some functionality, like myriad ways to do the sync.

Thanks again. And keep trying.