PDA

View Full Version : Task Handling within android

nJed
05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Good Day:

I'm coming from the blackberry world and am considering the purchase of an android phone. One must have feature is task management (todo lists). I would prefer integration with outlook but that is not an absolute requirement.

It is not unusual for me to have a dozen tasks pop up for action at various times during the day. What I really need to have is a task manager that will operate on the phone without a data connection being active. There are locations where I have poor cell phone coverage but I can rely on my tasks reminders being delivered in a timely fashion.

So much for the background...my question is simply: does DejaOffice allow for reminders to be delivered as described above?

Also important is the ability to "snooze" reminders...I may be in a meeting when I receive a task reminder to make a phone call - with the blackberry I simply "snooze" the alert with a simple click on the trackball (very quick and clean interface, no need to "open" the task and reassign the reminder time).

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Thank you.

nJed

DJOCTO
05-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Task reminders are scheduled to be added in about a month. Until then, there are no reminders.

Also, I'm not a fan of the on-board alert system for Android. We'll be looking to add snoozing.

For now, to set an alert, you'll need to make a scheduled item in Calendar. By June 20 or so, we will have reminders fully functioning for Tasks. I apologize for the delay.

nJed
05-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Excellent. Knowing that you are working toward alerts with snoozing is great - I was considering using "Astrid" for task management, but your program (with outlook sync) is preferable.

-nJed

BamBam
05-13-2010, 12:47 PM
nJed -

It sounds like you are in the same boat I am. I also deal with numerous tasks and calendar events throughout the course of the day, and have been looking for the same functionality you mentioned ("Snoozing", task alarms, etc). I am eagerly anticipating the updates to DejaOffice which will bring this level of functionality to the Android platform at last. I finally feel as if I am getting closer and closer to having the level of service available on my Droid that I was accustomed to with my old Palm Treo which, although it was old and outdated, was a workhorse and extremely reliable.

nJed
05-14-2010, 03:09 PM
BamBam:

Sounds like you are a current DejaOffice / Andriod user. Sounds like your experience has been fairly positive to date but there are some rough edges. What is your overall opinion? How close is the DejaOffice experience to the functionality of your Treo?

BamBam
05-14-2010, 07:54 PM
BamBam:

Sounds like you are a current DejaOffice / Andriod user. Sounds like your experience has been fairly positive to date but there are some rough edges. What is your overall opinion? How close is the DejaOffice experience to the functionality of your Treo?

Yes, I am currently using the DejaOffice application having upgraded from the my original Companionlink USB version purchased a month or so ago. When I first purchased the CL USB version it was the best solution I could find to my problem of not wanting to sync my information to the "Google Cloud" inherent in the Android OS design. Since that time a number of features have been added, but there is still quite some distance to go before this product will rival the PIM functionality of my Treo 755p. The Android OS and my Droid phone are a major step forward in technology and operating system design over the Palm OS from 5-6 years ago (Garnet), but to date I have still not been able to find anything under this OS (and, from what I understand, the folks who purchased the Pre are in the same boat) that even comes close to the Palm in terms of information management. I am encouraged to see that there are a number of additional features slated for a future release of DejaOffice in the next month or so, and my hope is that with those releases the product will truly catch up and fill the massive void in PIM functionality that currently plagues the Android OS community. For those of us in the business world who rely on these devices to help us perform our jobs every day, the built in applications included with Android are laughable at best. I came close to returning my phone when I realized just how bad they were and what an enormous step backwards I took getting rid of the Palm.

nJed
05-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the reply BamBam. I was a long time Windows mobile user (even before "smartphones" going back to Dell Axim days) and wanted to upgrade to "new" technology a while back. I don't want to derail into an apple bashing session, but I had an iPhone (a great product for what it is) for two days before I returned it for a blackberry because of these same type of issues (lack of good PIM). Now I'm at the point of wanting to get a cutting edge device and Android is calling me...but I don't want to have the same disappointment I had with the iPhone. My blackberry is great at the PIM stuff but is just awful at web browsing (maybe the new OS 6 upgrade will help). Anyway, being a technology junkie I want the PERFECT device NOW. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the dream device isn't out there right now, but it looks to me like Android has the best chance of getting there soon.

TimWatt
05-20-2010, 11:57 AM
I bought a Nokia n900 a while ago and was total disappointed with the PIM function. Mainly no PIM search and no Task (To Do) descriptions. Nokia's focus is on Multimedia and not productivity, and have not expressed any intention in improve the PIM. my n900 is a fully functioning linux computer and is amassing, but without a functioning PIM it's not much use to me.

So that said I have been looking for a new generation Smart-phone with good PIM.

Android is not an option as it does not support tasked (i too don't want an in the cloud sunk solution.) and it dosen't support native outlook sync (no reason to expect this to change)

Blacberry has the PIM but lackes many of the other features i have come to enjoy.

iPhone also no tasks although it sinks with outlook i am not interested because of the controlling nature of apple.

Microsoft is not an option because well as a Win 95/ 2000 advocate my chooses have left me with no choice now so on principle its not an option.

WebOS, (HP palm) looks like the only solution, but it only comes in 2 form factors both I don't like much and I have grown to like the 800 x 480 screen resolution for rDesctop and when browsing on my n900.

So my question is why does fully functioning PIM (tasks, notes, calendar and contacts + search and categories and alarms ) seem to be diapering? the demand is still there.

looks like I will be going back to my centro for now.

Eric
05-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Welcome to the forums, Tim! DejaOffice for Android and iPhone supports tasks, and it can sync with Outlook using CompanionLink.

nJed
05-22-2010, 06:07 AM
@CLCTO
You mentioned:
"...Also, I'm not a fan of the on-board alert system for Android. We'll be looking to add snoozing."

I received my Nexus One yesterday and think I see what you mean. When using another program for task management (Astrid) and receiving a reminder/notification I have to wake up the N1, go to the notification area, and then open the program to see what task prompted the notification, then go into a menu to snooze, then select the number of minutes to snooze. While this technically does have task notification and the ability to put off a task, it is just far too much interaction- a preferable solution would be more like what the blackberry does...when a task notification/reminder is activated a popup appears (even on the lock screen) with the title of the task and options "Open, Dismiss, Snooze..." In this way tasks are quickly and efficiently handled with one "click" not multiple swipes, presses etc. I hope that you are considering something in this vein for handling task alerts - that would be key for getting converts.

@TimWatt:
like you going back to your centro, I grudgingly will be headed back to my blackberry until someone is able to get more efficient todo handling on the Android (or even iPhone) platform. It is a shame because I like the other things both of these platforms bring to the table.

quizzical
05-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Great job on Deja Office. I bought my Droid in November and considered it a worthless novelty until you brought out this program. Please keep up the good work.

Here are two other task items I would like to see:

1. Change how undated tasks are sorted. Palm put them last in a dated list. Deja Office puts them first. I prefer not to have to wade through all of my undated tasks to find the ones that iminent or overdue. Can you consider how to handle that? Alternatively, Outlook lets one display the tasks of the "next 7 days." something like that, which woul also squelch the undated tasks would be effective.

2. Assign a task to the calendar. Within the old Palm Desktop it was easy to drag or cut and paste a task to the calendar. I found this to be very helpful as tasks matured into events. Is that a capability that can be added?

Thanks again.

DJOCTO
05-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the forum Quizzical!

I noted item 1 (actually 2 items; change sort order and do next 7 days). You should see this changed this week.

For item 2, I'll note for future. Thanks for contributing to DejaOffice!

startagl
06-11-2010, 07:04 AM
I am a one man service company, using Outlook and Palm for a long time (treo, pre). I put all my service appointments as a task and then when I do the service I put it in the calendar so I have a date time stamp, etc. It would be great if this could be automated from the task. If I could long press a task and have one of the options be to 'make calendar item'. once in the calendar I can fine tune it, but just to have it jump over there would be a great time saver. Also PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember that a lot of us use the phone one handed. So please try to make your software work while using only one hand and thumb typing. Not everyone that uses a smart phone sits in an office, some of us are hot and sweaty and climbing up on ladders looking up info and tech specs. Thank you.

Jayhawk94
06-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Re. the snooze function I'd also like to be able to select a quantity of time to snooze, e.g.5min, 15min, 30min, 1h, 4h, 12h, 1d. Regardless of what values are chosen, they need to be simple taps. That is, one tap to dismiss or snooze, and single tap on a time value. Maybe the last quantity could be "Custom" such that the user would use the Android rollers to select a time or time value.

Eric
06-11-2010, 10:19 AM
These are good suggestions! I'll send them off to the developers.

Jayhawk94
06-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Also PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember that a lot of us use the phone one handed. So please try to make your software work while using only one hand and thumb typing. Not everyone that uses a smart phone sits in an office, some of us are hot and sweaty and climbing up on ladders looking up info and tech specs. Thank you.

I second this request. While I'm typically freezing my arse off in an operating room, I do typically need one-handed operation from these apps when possible. Typing is a two-thumb affair, but I loved being able to do everything one-handed on my Palm Pre.

DJOCTO
06-11-2010, 08:53 PM
nJed and TimWatt,

Please understand we are making weekly progress. In DejaOffice 1.5 (released yesterday) you now have options to set the repeat to 1 minute. So the phone "rings" repeatedly in case you missed it. I truly think we are on the verge of finding how to make Android's rather arcane system work a lot like a "normal" alert like Palm OS and BlackBerry.

It amazes me that uber-geek companies don't know squat about how to ring an alarm. For gosh sakes, what wakes them up in the morning? I have a battery alarm clock that I bought for $5 and it rings at 5:25 am every morning for like 10 seconds until I mash it with an expert outstretched arm. It snoozes fine, rings every six minutes. Sometimes on Saturdays I mash it for 2-3 hours before remembering that I can just turn the darn thing off. BTW- Eternal question, why is it you can only fall into a deep sleep AFTER the alarm has rang for you to wake up?

What in the world says that Android can't do what a cheap plastic alarm clock can do? OTOH, neither Apple nor Google folks use tasks at all. Go figure.

We're working on making Android work like a $5 clock. I think this is a solvable problem. I think we'll have it solved in the next 60 days.

nJed
06-12-2010, 06:38 AM
CLCTO:

Excellent news. Although I've returned my N1 in favor of the blackberry for the time being, I'm anxiously waiting for someone to do exactly what you are proposing...BRAVO...like yourself I can't understand how these seemingly simple functions have not been implemented on either android or iPhone.

One question: how close is the operation of the iPhone/iPad version to Android? The reason I ask is that I have a family member who has an iPad which I could use for evaluation of the deja office program prior to plunking down $500+ for an N1. I don't mind spending the money but I'd like to be sure the the phone will fit my needs before buying one....again :)

Thanks for all your efforts - I really believe if you are able to solve this issue you'll have a very much in demand program. Keep up the good work!

DJOCTO
06-12-2010, 09:09 AM
One question: how close is the operation of the iPhone/iPad version to Android? The reason I ask is that I have a family member who has an iPad which I could use for evaluation of the deja office program prior to plunking down $500+ for an N1.

DJO on iPhone and Android are very close. The menu options are the same. The actions on most screens are the same. There are slight differences in screen taps and edit screen styles. We are working currently on iPhone usability which will bring DejaOffice on iPhone closer to it's Android sibling.

iPad is kewl! DJO on iPad is unique among all apps. Most apps on iPad are just bigger. Indeed, the phone list on iPad can display about twice as many names and phone numbers, up to 40 per screen. Most apps don't take advantage of the wider screen to display more data. What we did is made a split-view with the list on the left, and the detail "View" on the right side of the screen. So you can navigate the list, tap on an entry, and view all details all on the same screen. iPad allows "pop over" style widgets, where iPhone always slid your screen to the right to pop a field. We've used the Pop over to insure you can edit your data without ever losing the main screen view.

We'll be making an Android Tablet version with the same capability. So whenever we get a device with a wider screen, our conduits will go into a split view mode that allows selection and viewing on a single screen, and handles edit as a popover that shows the context in the background.