PDA

View Full Version : CompanionLink Memory Leak

Eagle 3
06-05-2015, 08:00 AM
When I start CompanionLink it only uses a few MB of memory. But after a day or so, it using over 200 MB of memory. I can watch it on Task Manager and see memory increase by a few K every few minutes. I've tried to uninstall CompanionLink and delete all associated files and reinstalling, but it doesn't help. It occurs with versions 6044, 6046 and 6048.

Sean
06-09-2015, 02:27 PM
Eagle 3-

The build you are currently on should contain a fix for a known memory leak issue. One way to help narrow down the problem is to disable conduits and see if the issue appears to occur, then reverse the conduit selection and check again. If its conduit specific the issue might be data related.

Eagle 3
06-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Eagle 3-

The build you are currently on should contain a fix for a known memory leak issue. One way to help narrow down the problem is to disable conduits and see if the issue appears to occur, then reverse the conduit selection and check again. If its conduit specific the issue might be data related.

It's related to Calendar. I uncheck Calendar sync and no memory leak. So, if it's related to the Calendar data, how do I determine which entry is causing the problem? And how do I fix it?

Eagle 3
06-17-2015, 11:07 AM
Any answer yet?

Sean
06-17-2015, 01:00 PM
Sorry about the delay. We've yet to be able to reproduce this on our systems, however does the issue continue for you if you disable the attendee sync? To check, open Settings > Advanced > Calendar Tab > uncheck "Sync Attendees".

Let me know if the issue continues and we can start a support ticket and gather a log of the issue occurring.

Eagle 3
06-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Turning off Sync Attendees didn't help. It's been running about 12 hours now, and it's using over 100MB of memory.

Eagle 3
07-06-2015, 10:04 AM
CL has been running about 32 hours and memory usage is over 328MB. Anyone else having this problem?

Hook
07-06-2015, 08:07 PM
CL has been running about 32 hours and memory usage is over 328MB. Anyone else having this problem?

After running some tests, I'm certainly not seeing what you are seeing. I do get small increases right after I do a sync. Nothing at all that looks like a gain of "a few k every few minutes."

Of course, given CL's singular purpose, I would never leave it running for anything close to 32 hours (which is why I had to do a special test). I sync maybe once a day. I launch CL when I need to sync and then close it down. I guess folks leave it on for auto-sync? I never trust auto-anything when it comes to software. I do *everything* manually. ;)

DJOCTO
07-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Eagle3, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

We access the Outlook data through the Outlook Objects layer in Windows. This system can have memory leaks, but we try to keep them "plugged".

Probably the next step is you have you do a log and send it in. That will let us more exactly match the versions, and the PST/OST file configuration.

Send the log attention Sean at support@companionlink.com and note your screen name Eagle3 for reference.

http://www.companionlink.com/support/kb/Send_a_CompanionLink_PC_Sync_Log

Eagle 3
07-08-2015, 12:59 AM
After running some tests, I'm certainly not seeing what you are seeing. I do get small increases right after I do a sync. Nothing at all that looks like a gain of "a few k every few minutes."

Of course, given CL's singular purpose, I would never leave it running for anything close to 32 hours (which is why I had to do a special test). I sync maybe once a day. I launch CL when I need to sync and then close it down. I guess folks leave it on for auto-sync? I never trust auto-anything when it comes to software. I do *everything* manually. ;)

Thank you for testing this. It must be just me that's having the problem. I update the calendar and tasks many times a day in both the phone and Outlook, that's why I leave CompanionLink running all all the time.

Eagle 3
07-08-2015, 01:01 AM
Thanks DJOCTO. I sent the log.

DJOCTO
07-09-2015, 03:49 PM
We got it!

Eagle 3
08-10-2015, 10:14 AM
The memory leak problem was solved by uninstalling Office 2007 and installing Office 2010.

DJOCTO
08-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Ah. I'm sorry we didn't get a better answer.

CompanionLink works by connecting one buggy undocumented API to another buggy undocumented API. Outlook is among the worst, since we use 4 different API's to gather data (Outlook Objects, MAPI, and Extended MAPI, Exchange). Because they are all installed differently, one PC is often different than another.

Eagle 3
08-21-2015, 07:33 AM
The memory leak is back. This is what I did. I had Office 2010 Pro Plus Trial 64-bit installed and there was no memory leak with this version. I uninstalled it and deleted all the leftover files (except outlook.pst) and registry entries that I could find. I uninstalled CompanionLink and deleted all the leftover files and registry entries that I could find. I bought Office 2010 Pro 32-bit and installed it. I then installed the beta latest version of CompanionLink. And now the memory leak is back. In the Task Manager it showed over 200MB memory used after about 12 hours.

Does it have something to do with going from 64-bit to 32-bit versions? Is there something leftover in files or registry that I didn't find? I tried disabling CompanionLink Addon in Outlook and many other options and nothing worked.

However, CompanionLink works fine even with the memory leak.

This thread has over 460 views which seems like a lot compared to other threads. Does that mean that other people are having the same problem and are looking for a solution?

I sent this to support also.

DJOCTO
08-26-2015, 03:15 PM
They are working on it. We talked about it this morning.

Eagle 3
09-14-2015, 06:58 AM
The inhouse CompanionLink 7.0 Beta greatly improved the memory leak problem. After 24 hours, it went from about 10MB to 40MB which is much better than 400MB. I can live with that.

The inhouse 7.0 Beta can be found here:
http://www.companionlink.com/inhouse

DJOCTO
09-19-2015, 08:42 AM
Eagle3, thanks for contacting tech support.

The leak is in the Outlook API. It appears to have something to do with a bit-mismatch in Outlook. Maybe associated with 32-bit outlook on a 64-bit machine.

Eagle 3
11-18-2015, 11:25 AM
I uninstalled 32-bit Office 2010 and installed 64-bit Office 2010 and do not have a memory leak. So you are right, it's 32-bit Outlook on a 64-bit machine that is cause of the problem.