PDA

View Full Version : Downgrade from ACT to Palm Desktop

Cecil
08-26-2015, 07:55 AM
ACT are being their usual helpful selves.

They plan to only support Windows 10 if you update to ACT 17!! There are are number of issues being reported on ACT 17 and earlier versions.

Seems hard when I bought ACT 16 less than 2 years ago!! Perhaps it is time for me to ditch ACT, my needs are simple just a database of names and addresses and diary with tasks. Any suggestions for a replacement. Anybody using Time & Chaos?

DJOCTO
08-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Cecil,

Thanks for the heads-up. We tested ACT! and didn't find any problems with Windows 10. Also we have a jillion ACT! customers, and haven't heard anything.

Based on your post I got more info. It looks like there are just a couple things that are really a problem:

1. Documents attached to Contacts give a GPF when opened. If you use Documents attached to Contacts, then you really can't upgrade to Windows 10. There must be a something fundamental from the registry going on there.

2. There are a variety of issues with MSSQL, creating a new database, moving ACT!, database loading on startup. These all seem to get fixed if you uninstall, reinstall a bit.

Here is Act!'s official guide:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38170

My best advice: Get an ACT! 6.0 license and install that. You can buy an old ACT! 6.0 key on eBay for about $20. Swiftpage is still hosting the download. It runs super-fast on my Windows 10 computer.

Next advice: Unless you use documents attached to contacts, you should be fine with ACT! 2011 through v17 on Windows 10.

So I'd recommend staying put. There's really nothing else in the market like ACT! Most new products are web based, and are just "too damn slow" for daily use.

Wayland

Cecil
10-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Just got hold of a copy of ACT 6 on ebay for 10 and have tried it out on our Windows 10 laptop, and it seems to work fine. The original disk was 16 bit and would not load but the download of the full version of 6.0.3 is 32 bit and activated with the key from version I bought.

So I am now covered for all eventualities. Just have to work out how to get my data into ACT6.

DJOCTO
10-16-2015, 08:35 AM
LOL I like Act! 6 also...

Cecil
10-17-2015, 11:59 AM
I think I will firing up the DeLorean and be heading back to the future with Act 6!

I think Act 6 does everything I need, Act16 is a complicated program with a confusing interface at times. I only upgraded because Act 2005 doesn't run in Windows 8. I started in Act 6 so it would be strange to be back using version 6 again.