PDA

View Full Version : Sync with more than one computer

nJed
05-13-2010, 03:56 AM
I'm waiting for Google I/O next week to see if there are any surprise hardware announcements - but will probably order a Nexus One after that event....I'm coming from the windows mobile/blackberry world and with those devices you can sync two computers running outlook with your mobile device. That keeps a home and work machine both up to date. Does the sync in deja news allow for multiple computers in this way?

Thanks, looking forward to my first android device - your software will be one of the first installed.

-nJed

Kaena
05-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Hi nJed,

Congrats on your future Nexus One! DejaOffice syncs with Outlook through the CompanionLink USB desktop software. One license of CompanionLink will let you install on both your home and work computers. We would recommend that if the databases on the two computers are different, to only sync one-way from PC to phone in order to avoid duplicating entries. For more info on the sync process with Android, check out this page here http://www.companionlink.com/products/dejaoffice-android.html

kvedt
05-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Just adding an anecdotal report about using CL on two machines (desktop & laptop). I also checked before purchasing and received the same response, which was good. But I do have a(n unsupported) way of being able to sync both directions on both machines, and so far, so good. I do not use a software bridge to sync Outlook between the two computers, but literally copy the Outlook.pst file from the most recently active computer to the other one before switching between computers; before I travel, for example. I never use Outlook on both machines at the same time nor do I use Outlook Exchange Server. Doing it this way, I've had no problem using CL Express to sync in both directions from both machines. Of course I always, and I do mean always, back up my Outlook pst file before doing so, just as I do before copying it to the soon-to-be active computer.

Of course your results could differ, so be sure to back it up before tying this, if you choose to do so.

BrainSCAN
08-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Hello.

I've been trying for several days to correctly sync two computers using my Android, but I have some problems. My scenario is the following:
- Outlook 2007 at home
- Outlook 2007 with Exchange at the office
- Xperia X10 with Android 1.6
- DejaOffice v1.6.5
- CompanionLink USB v4.0 build 4010

Notes and tasks sync correctly, maybe because I only have 24 tasks and 47 notes. My problem is with events and contacts.

Let's start with the contacts. The contacts are the same at both Outlook (because I have them synced with my Palm), but i've not copied the .pst file (at office I have Exchange).

I copied all my contacts at office to DJO, and checked that they were correctly synchronized (after several both ways syncs, until the sync only lasted a few seconds). After that I've tried two things:

1.- Then I connected DJO to my home PC, selected sync both ways, marked that Outlook was the primary database, marked to reread Outlook and Android and made a sync.

The first thing that CompanionLink do is copy a lot of contacts from Android to Outlook, so having 1623 contacts in Outlook becomes into 2855 contacts. The last step CompaionLink does is to read Outlook contacts (I don't know why, because it starts by adding my Android contacts into Outlook, so it never checks if it's duplicating contacts -and it duplicates contacts).

So the result of this sync is that at home it duplicates my contacts, and duplicates they also at DJO.

2.- Then I connected DJO to my home PC, selected to copy DJO contacts into Outlook, erased all my contacts at Oulook and performed the sync.

The result is that the contacts of DJO aren't correctly copied into Outlook, I explained it at this post:
http://www.dejaoffice.com/forums/showthread.php?349-Problems-with-Outlook-DejaOffice-sync-accents-and-surnames&highlight=spanish

So, please, explain what do I have to do to be able to sync contacts between my two Outlook and DJO. I would love to purchase CompanionLink USB, but if it works :-/

Thanks.

DJOCTO
08-28-2010, 01:12 PM
I'll have the team check into this early in the week. The second computer should have handled the duplicate data.

There is an internal mechanism for matching the duplicate records on a second computer. It looks like in this case it didn't trigger. This is a software problem, so a new build of CompanionLink will be required to fix it.

BrainSCAN
08-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Ok, thanks.

I'll wait anxious for the update :-)