PDA

View Full Version : Option to use smaller fonts in entry screens

RobFreundlich
09-10-2010, 05:15 AM
On all of the Palm devices I had in the past, the data entry screens were very concise - the fonts were small enough that many more fields were visible without scrolling than on my Droid X.

When I first started using my Droid, I thought "well, it has to put the on-screen keyboard onto the screen, so of course fewer fields are visible".

But as I think more about it, that's wrong - on all of my Palms, the combined size of the screen and the physical keyboard (or Graffiti area) was smaller than the screen of my Droid (OK, not all - I think the older Palms were as large). So that means that they were fitting more information into the same screen space as the Droid. Smaller fonts were one way they accomplished that.

So I'd like to see an option in DJO to set the font size for the entry screens so that more can be visible without scrolling.

Sjaak Hendriks
02-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Similar to RobFreundlich. I'm new. I've been using Palm OS for 10+ years and now missing the option to reduce font size in favour of much more information available on the screen. Now it's if I'm on a 160x320px screen :( , but with today's resolution (I've a HTC Desire HD) it should go beyond the previous century Palms.

DJOCTO
02-07-2011, 07:48 AM
As far as I understand, the edit fields are fixed size on Android. But let me check again with our developer. I agree they are horribly outsized compared to our "Micro" mode list and view screens.

RobFreundlich
02-07-2011, 08:41 AM
If I read the Android APi docs (http://developer.android.com/reference/android/widget/TextView.html#attr_android:textSize) correctly, text size in a TextView can be set. I haven't tried it, though, so YMMV ...

RobFreundlich
02-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Looks like there's a minimum size. In the following picture, the three text fields have sizes "4sp", "8sp", and "30sp":

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/2240/androidtextsize.png