PDA

View Full Version : Sync with FreeBSD/Linux?

lambert
05-21-2010, 09:42 PM
I am a FreeBSD user with an Android phone.

I don't like the cloud sync idea and have been looking for alternatives to the default apps. So, when you guys get some time, it would be nice if you could port the USB sync app to FreeBSD and Linux.

Thanks for your consideration.

DJOCTO
05-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Noted and I'll put it on file.

Our PC Sync engine is really just a massively complex interface to a number of PC Sync API's like Outlook's Object API and Palm Desktop file APIs. We don't sync with Windows. We sync to Software Applications that happen to run in Windows.

So too with Linux, we don't sync to any OS. OS doesn't include Contacts and Calendar, and that's what we think of as "Sync". Email, folders, bookmarks, photos all can be called "Sync", but the task is very different than Sync for Contacts, Calendars, Tasks and Memos.

For Linux, we would not sync to the OS. We would sync to an application. For instance, we would need to sync to Evolution. Is Evolution really the same, or is it version dependent and platform dependent like Outlook is? Is there Evolution ubuntu vs Evolution redhat or Evolution Gentoo, Debian etc. My biggest nightmare would be sink $80k or $100k into development cost for programmer to write interfaces to 32 versions and variations in a market where no one pays for anything.

What do you think?

wpociengel
06-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Noted and I'll put it on file.

<snip>

For Linux, we would not sync to the OS. We would sync to an application. For instance, we would need to sync to Evolution. Is Evolution really the same, or is it version dependent and platform dependent like Outlook is? Is there Evolution ubuntu vs Evolution redhat or Evolution Gentoo, Debian etc. My biggest nightmare would be sink $80k or $100k into development cost for programmer to write interfaces to 32 versions and variations in a market where no one pays for anything.

What do you think?

I just paid 880USD for an iPad, 3200USD for a macpro. I think I can say you are a bit mistaken to think that no one pays for anything.

I just want contact that bridge apps, calendars that bridge apps, notes that bridge apps, etc

and a solid way to sync via usb that doesn't require me to have a matching application on my desktop, just an interface to feed files back and forth would be a solid first start.