PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

Arch
05-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi,

I'm a Palm 755p user about to make the jump to Android with the Evo. I'm especially excited about being able to continue to use my Palm desktop and sync it to my Android.

I've still got over a week until my phone arrives (counting the minutes!) and was looking around the site for the installation instructions. Do I need, or example, to get Companion Link and Deja Office running before I go ahead and set up my gmail on my phone? I actually don't want the phone to import the gmail contacts but just to use the ones I am going to sync with Palm desktop. Any other beginner's tips would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
05-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the forums, Arch! Set up your Gmail account first (you'll have to do this anyway when setting up your Evo). You can sync email without syncing your contacts, so no worries there. Then you can set up DejaOffice and Companionlink to sync your Palm Desktop.

Arch
05-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks so much!

spar10
05-28-2010, 11:24 PM
i'm also moving from a 755p to the evo next week. however, i don't use the palm desktop, i sync directly to outlook. i need my contacts, calendar and notes. will dejaoffice still help to make this happen for me? (fingers crossed!)

Clark
05-29-2010, 09:43 AM
After using Palm Desktop for over a decade, I moved from my 755p to the Droid specifically because of the CompanionLink/DejaOffice software. It initially worked seamlessly with Palm Desktop for 3 weeks with great help from their tech support, then stopped syncing for no reason. After about a month of carrying around my 755p (still needed the data) and the Droid (needed a active phone), I finally had the time to contact tech support again yesterday. The solution ended up being to delete the application off the Droid, then reinstalling it. It then synced with my Palm Desktop (contacts, calendar, memos, tasks) seamlessly again. I did have to up the constraint on the number of contacts, to get over 4K of them in the application, but it worked. Today, its still syncing with everything, but it duplicated over 1K contacts and takes about 30 minutes to perform the sync. My suggestion for anyone moving from a Treo and still wanting to use Palm Desktop, is sync your Treo every once in a while to ensure you have a backup data set until some of the bugs are addressed. The software has improved since I first got it installed, but its still a challenge at times. I'm sure I'll be catching up with their tech support on Tuesday, where they will likely fix the problem.

Eric
06-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Hi spar10! Yes, DejaOffice will sync with Outlook. You can use CompanionLink USB to sync directly to Outlook (check out http://www.companionlink.com/androidusb/index.html). CompanionLink will get your contacts, calendar, and notes into DejaOffice. Because the EVO is an HTC phone, you have the option of using HTC's software, called HTC Sync, though it can't sync your Outlook notes.