PDA

View Full Version : Iphone Dejaoffice Contacts not sorted

george759
11-10-2010, 03:04 AM
There are a number of problems, that I am having :
1. When I change a field of a contact from the regular Iphone Contact appl., e.g. I have an entry ' ALEX ' stored as First Name and change it as Last Name with the same content, this change is not shown in the Dejaoffice.
If I go into the Contacts settings and perform a ' Rescan Contacts Database ', first I get no results, but also this program shows that it never ends (the blue color keeps on being blue, and does not change).
2. While in the original Iphone Contacts appl., all my contacts are shown correctly (shorted by last name / first name ) , when running respectively your appl. ( sorted by last name), my contacts are not shown sorted !!!
3. When changing a category e.g from ' FRIENDS ' to ' FRIENDS - FAMILY ', the category does not get changed, but it gets added.
So now we have two categories than one, and if you want to eliminate one of the two, you cannot do it.
Thanks for your patience, and I would appreciate your help.

DJOCTO
11-13-2010, 01:03 PM
We will look into these issues. I will reply further soon.

george759
12-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Any news, please ... ?

DJOCTO
12-02-2010, 07:58 AM
We looked into this. iPhone 4 is multitasking. So when you make changes to the native Contact application, and DejaOffice is already running, your changes are not reflected. You can exit DejaOffice and restart it, and that should fix the display.

People aren't used to multi-tasking phones. IOS 4.0 and Android are the first cases of it. We're working to refresh the display, but the OS options aren't as mature as with Windows which has been multitasking for almost 20 years.

george759
12-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks for your answer. I checked it out and you are right.
However your answer is related only to the first part of my problem No. 1.
The "rescan procedure" as I stated in the second part of my problem No.1 does it work, and when do you apply it ?
What about No. 2 and No. 3 ?
Your cooperation will be appreciated, because e.g I cannot have Deja show my contacts not sorted (No.2) ... etc., and hence the application remains useless for me.

DJOCTO
12-02-2010, 09:49 AM
As for #3, the entire Groups/Categories logic will change in 1.1.4. There are some problems we find with iOS Groups, so we may need to eliminate that relationship.

For #2, when you change the sort to Company, and then back, does it re-sort the contacts? The SQL Query definitely has a sort order. The question is; what field is it using to designate the order.

george759
12-02-2010, 10:30 AM
As for #3, if you intend to eliminate completely the assigning of categories to the contacts, I wouldn' t like to see it happening ; I find your contacts application very nice and probably, is the only one that I myself know that you can assign categories to the contacts.
Well anyhow, problem #3 is not so tragic to have it, as it is now.

For #2, I change the sorting to Company - the database is suffled - and when I apply sorting to last name, it changes back to what it was before, but of course remains unsorted ( with the standards of the Iphone Contact Application).
I have one question - suggestion.
The original Iphone contacts are sorted by LAST NAME / FIRST NAME and yours is only by LAST NAME. Would this be probably be the problem ?
When you guys sort on COMPANY, do you also sort by any other secondary field ? If not, shouldn' t you ??

If I can be of any further assistance, I am at your disposal.

george759
12-04-2010, 02:09 AM
After examining your application, I found out the following, that they could probably will help you out.
I worked with ' sorting by last name ' :
The contact database does not show sorted, when the category chosen is 'All Categories'.
When choosing anyother category, the database looks being sorted, but with a major difference from when running the Original Iphone Contact Application.
The difference is that if you have with only first name - the last name being blank -, your appl. displays these contacts (sorted among themselves) before the contacts that have non-blank last names.
These contacts in the original Iphone appl., are shown all-together, ie. the contact with first name ' Steve ' and no last name is displayed after ' Smith John ' , which I believe is much more practical.

As far as the sorting by ' Company ', I think it is quite a mess, and i didn' t try anything.

DJOCTO
12-05-2010, 10:45 AM
We will look at this in the context of our pending release of 1.1.4. I think we can resolve it there.

petemlewis
12-28-2010, 09:03 AM
There are a number of problems, that I am having :
1. When I change a field of a contact from the regular Iphone Contact appl., e.g. I have an entry ' ALEX ' stored as First Name and change it as Last Name with the same content, this change is not shown in the Dejaoffice.
If I go into the Contacts settings and perform a ' Rescan Contacts Database ', first I get no results, but also this program shows that it never ends (the blue color keeps on being blue, and does not change).
2. While in the original Iphone Contacts appl., all my contacts are shown correctly (shorted by last name / first name ) , when running respectively your appl. ( sorted by last name), my contacts are not shown sorted !!!
3. When changing a category e.g from ' FRIENDS ' to ' FRIENDS - FAMILY ', the category does not get changed, but it gets added.
So now we have two categories than one, and if you want to eliminate one of the two, you cannot do it.
Thanks for your patience, and I would appreciate your help.

I'm having the same issue. My Deja Contacts will sort just fine by first name but when sorted by last name, the first names of individuals are not sorted alphabetically. In my Jones list, mine sorted like G.W, followed by Angie... not good

george759
01-06-2011, 12:46 AM
About two months after my first post 1.1.4 is finally out.
As far as the sorting is concerned, things are much better.
But there are some other problems, that came up :
All my contacts show as being assigned ' no category ', ie they all have 'clear squares' next to their names.
I tried one category for example ' Doctors ' and no contacts are shown, while in the native Iphone appl., they are shown correctly.
Well what I did was, I edited one contact. Your appl. showed, that no category is assigned to this contact. Strange !!!
So I assigned a specific category to it ( the one it supposed to have in the first place).
Running the 'All categories', all the contacts looked as before, ie. clear squares next to their name.
Then I re-edited the same contact, I re-saved it, but still same results.
All clear squares. And then I had the brilliant idea to ... view the contacts, using the category previously I assigned to the contact I edited before. Absolutely very strangely, I saw ( and I could not believe in my eyes), that there were TWO identical entries of the same - in question - contact with a yellow square in front.

One question. In your developement section of your company, isn't there any Quality Control section, to test all these ubnormalities ???

progreen82
01-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Would you please provide a link to download the prior version to 1.4 - I'd like to return to it until these and some other kinks are fixed.

Thomas
01-07-2011, 08:11 AM
If you are using CompanionLink Desktop SW, execute a Purge and Reload Sync to the device. Whatever Categories you are using on the PC will then load into the new version of DejaOffice.

george759
01-07-2011, 09:12 AM
If you are using CompanionLink Desktop SW, execute a Purge and Reload Sync to the device. Whatever Categories you are using on the PC will then load into the new version of DejaOffice.

Is this suggestion of yours, is referring to me or to user 'progreen82' ?
I hope, you are not pointing to me, because my answer I was going to give you,would have been negative.
I am waiting for a prompt and satisfactory answer to my comments and my question I asked you guys in my previous post.
I want to feel assured, that there is a very serious and responsible situation from your company.
I cannot understand, how you people put up a new version, without testing it all !!!
If you need and you want our contribution towards making a better and better application - I think that I proved to you this myself -, you have to show it to us that you DO care.
Otherwise, tell us a sincere NO, and there is no problem.
Thanks for your collaboration.

Thomas
01-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Hi George,
My earlier post was to progreen.
To address both of your posts directly:
We just released 1.1.5 yesterday with a fix to the issue with the categories. However, 1.1.5 automatically imports contact groups when you initially launch the app.
Initial feedback is that some users are experiencing a slow initial start after updating to 1.1.5, and in limited cases a crash results.
Both of these behaviors eluded our test efforts. It is impossible to simulate every customer dataset and sync configuration in the testing process.
To assume that no testing was done prior to release is completely incorrect.
We are pushing out a quick fix very soon (1.1.6) that makes the import function a user option vs an automatic startup function. This should resolve startup issues.
We apologize for any inconvenience on this, but the answer to your question is yes, we have this fixed now.
Your mileage may vary on 1.1.5 which is out right now. 1.1.6 is now waiting for approval from Apple and should be posted in the iTunes store soon.

In the future, when reporting problems with DJO, including the following information will assist us greatly in reproducing the the issues on our end:
Device - iPhone, iPad, iPodTouch
IOS Version
DJO version
CompanionLink Software Version and build #. (We currently support 6 different CompanionLink Versions.)
Sync Method - USB, WiFi, Secure Hosted Sync
Sync Destination - Outlook, Act, Palm Desktop, Google, Goldmine, Etc...
Data File Size
Log File - If applicable.

Thanks.

george759
01-18-2011, 01:38 AM
H Thomas,
Sorry being very abrupt with you, but please understand that sometimes the mistakes we find as end-user, look as stupid not to have been detected easily by someone in the testing dept. So here we go with our criticism !!!
1.1.6 is much better but still many flaws.

1. As I wrote to you in my previous post, when assigning a category to a contact, ' All Categories ' is shown correctly, but in the specific category e.g. 'Doctors', there are more than one contact entries for the same contact. Try to edit and save any contact, and you will understand what I mean.
2. When you input a brand new contact, and assign him a category e.g 'Doctors', he is shown correctly in the 'Doctors' category i.e Red square in front, but Blank square when viewing under 'All Categories'.
Now if you edit him you will obtain the problem per above ( #1 of post), while the blank square is still 'on' under viewing under ' All Categories'.
To 'cure' this problem, you have to refresh and re-import the native Iphone Contact database.
3. Per one post I placed in a different thread, I state :
' If you have some contacts with a telephone number associated to be e.g. as 'iphone' or custom made label e.g. 'Vodafone', the program does not recognize this number at all and you cannot call this number. '
The problem still remains.
Thanks

I use Iphone 3GS, 32 GB, ver 4.2.1

Thomas
01-18-2011, 08:16 AM
H Thomas,
Sorry being very abrupt with you, but please understand that sometimes the mistakes we find as end-user, look as stupid not to have been detected easily by someone in the testing dept. So here we go with our criticism !!!
1.1.6 is much better but still many flaws.

1. As I wrote to you in my previous post, when assigning a category to a contact, ' All Categories ' is shown correctly, but in the specific category e.g. 'Doctors', there are more than one contact entries for the same contact. Try to edit and save any contact, and you will understand what I mean.
2. When you input a brand new contact, and assign him a category e.g 'Doctors', he is shown correctly in the 'Doctors' category i.e Red square in front, but Blank square when viewing under 'All Categories'.
Now if you edit him you will obtain the problem per above ( #1 of post), while the blank square is still 'on' under viewing under ' All Categories'.
To 'cure' this problem, you have to refresh and re-import the native Iphone Contact database.
3. Per one post I placed in a different thread, I state :
' If you have some contacts with a telephone number associated to be e.g. as 'iphone' or custom made label e.g. 'Vodafone', the program does not recognize this number at all and you cannot call this number. '
The problem still remains.
Thanks

I use Iphone 3GS, 32 GB, ver 4.2.1

George,

No apology needed at all! :) It sounds like you are passionate about this working. That is something we share in common.
Thanks for clarifying the problem you are experiencing and providing some additional information about the iPhone you are using.

However, I still need some additional data to isolate this problem so we can provide a solution.
Can I assume you are using DejaOffice as a stand alone app?
You did not mention the CompanionLink version, build or your sync method.
Are you syncing your data with ComanionLink, iTunes, Exchange, MobileMe?
Are you not syncing your data at all?
I would really like to help but I need more information.

I requested the following information =
In the future, when reporting problems with DJO, including the following information will assist us greatly in reproducing the the issues on our end:
Device - iPhone, iPad, iPodTouch
IOS Version
DJO version
CompanionLink Software Version and build #. (We currently support 6 different CompanionLink Versions.)
Sync Method - USB, WiFi, Secure Hosted Sync
Sync Destination - Outlook, Act, Palm Desktop, Google, Goldmine, Etc...
Data File Size
Log File - If applicable

I will be happy to personally look into this and find a solution for you but I need a complete picture of what your configuration is.

Thanks,

george759
01-19-2011, 07:15 AM
Hi Thomas,
Thanks for your kind words. You are absolutely right about my being passionate about what I am dealing with, but that' s how I am. Something you do not know, is that I am also a computer programmer, so you can completely justify this behavior of mine.
You are asking me if I use DejaOffice as a stand alone. The answer is yes, but for the moment. Syncing my Iphone' s data with my computer's Microsoft Outlook, is something very practical, but also very serious and 'dangerous' as well subject.
Reading around, I find that the CompanionLink, is offering much more advantages than other applications, but from what I read in your forum, there are many issues to be solved. So as you understand, for the moment I stand away from the very dangerous syncing issue. It' s better less than nothing at all.

The number of the Iphones contacts that I have, are around 500.

Thomas in addition to the problems, that you are aware of, that I am facing, I would like to suggest something , for you to add in the DejaOffice - which I believe would be very practical.
Make your index bar in the Contacts list, to include an option, for changing the Latin index bar into e.g Greek or Russian or even Chinese index bar, by touching the 'magic' last Symbol in the Latin bar. And also vice versa to switch back from the e.g Greek one to the Latin one. The type of the index bar to be applied will as on option, set by the user in the Settings subprogram.
This way people that are using 2 or more languages in their contacts list, will be able to choose the contact, they want to call, much-much easier.
If you need, any more information, please let me know. Thanks again.

P.S. If you want this exchange of ideas, not to take place through your forum, please contact me in my personal e-mail that Deja knows.

Thomas
01-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Hi Thomas,
Thanks for your kind words. You are absolutely right about my being passionate about what I am dealing with, but that' s how I am. Something you do not know, is that I am also a computer programmer, so you can completely justify this behavior of mine.
You are asking me if I use DejaOffice as a stand alone. The answer is yes, but for the moment. Syncing my Iphone' s data with my computer's Microsoft Outlook, is something very practical, but also very serious and 'dangerous' as well subject.
Reading around, I find that the CompanionLink, is offering much more advantages than other applications, but from what I read in your forum, there are many issues to be solved. So as you understand, for the moment I stand away from the very dangerous syncing issue. It' s better less than nothing at all.

The number of the Iphones contacts that I have, are around 500.

Thomas in addition to the problems, that you are aware of, that I am facing, I would like to suggest something , for you to add in the DejaOffice - which I believe would be very practical.
Make your index bar in the Contacts list, to include an option, for changing the Latin index bar into e.g Greek or Russian or even Chinese index bar, by touching the 'magic' last Symbol in the Latin bar. And also vice versa to switch back from the e.g Greek one to the Latin one. The type of the index bar to be applied will as on option, set by the user in the Settings subprogram.
This way people that are using 2 or more languages in their contacts list, will be able to choose the contact, they want to call, much-much easier.
If you need, any more information, please let me know. Thanks again.

P.S. If you want this exchange of ideas, not to take place through your forum, please contact me in my personal e-mail that Deja knows.

George,

I am out of the office today on company business. I haven't forgotten about your problem and will provide feedback asap, probably tomorrow. You can contact support if this is a burning need.
http://www.dejaoffice.com/support_contact.html

Thanks,

Thomas

george759
01-20-2011, 08:08 AM
George,

I am out of the office today on company business. I haven't forgotten about your problem and will provide feedback asap, probably tomorrow. You can contact support if this is a burning need.
http://www.dejaoffice.com/support_contact.html

Thanks,

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

No burning need whatsoever from my part.
Do not worry and take your time. I believe we can solve all problems. No problem for me to keep on examining DejaOffice - in my free time - and try to help you as much as I can, in order to upgrade to the maximum degree possible.

Regards,

George

Thomas
01-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Hi Thomas,

No burning need whatsoever from my part.
Do not worry and take your time. I believe we can solve all problems. No problem for me to keep on examining DejaOffice - in my free time - and try to help you as much as I can, in order to upgrade to the maximum degree possible.

Regards,

George

George,
We appreciate the feedback. Feel free to post here or message me if you have anything new you want use to look at.

Thomas

george759
02-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Hello Thomas, Hello 1.1.7
All my problems stated in the post #16 dated Jan 18, 2011, are now completely taken care of.
I have two more problems for you.

1. When there is a contact assigned at least two categories, he is being shown in the DJO in only one category.

2. The contacts that are not assigned to any category, are shown in the ' ALL CATEGORIES ' with a grey square in front, but when choosing to view them under ' NO CATEGORY ' , there are no contacts whatsoever being listed.

Thomas
02-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Hello Thomas, Hello 1.1.7
All my problems stated in the post #16 dated Jan 18, 2011, are now completely taken care of.
I have two more problems for you.

1. When there is a contact assigned at least two categories, he is being shown in the DJO in only one category.

2. The contacts that are not assigned to any category, are shown in the ' ALL CATEGORIES ' with a grey square in front, but when choosing to view them under ' NO CATEGORY ' , there are no contacts whatsoever being listed.

George,

So glad to hear the 1.1.6 problems are gone.
Both of the issues your are reporting are not expected.

For issue number one my developer has a request. In DejaOffice, can you try to manually edit a contact that has only one category and add a second category, then save the edit. We have reaon to belive this may fix the issue of only one category populating in contacts.

If this does not work try a purge and reload. Please try these fixes in the order presented and let us know the results.

Thanks.

george759
02-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Hi Thomas,

REF. #1. Let' s first define what is correct and what is is not. For me, if you have a contact assigned to 2 categories( e.g. DOCTORS and also PERSONAL), this contact must be shown once when viewing group ' DOCTORS ' , once when viewing group ' PERSONAL ' and also once when viewing group ' ALL CONTACTS ' probably with color square (pre-fixed e.g. black) implemented as ' MULTI '.
So let's get a contact already assigned to 2 categories. In the native iphone appl. he is shown as above. ( of course with no color marks as DJO has). In DJO the same contact is shown only under one specific group e.g DOCTORS, also in the ' ALL CONTACTS ', but not under the other group !!!
He is all color marked with the color of ' DOCTORS '.

Now more specifically, I followed your instructions. I edited - in DJO - one contact with category assigned ' RESTAURANT ', and added also another category to him, e.g. ' REAL ESTATE '.
In DJO this contact is marked with color of ' RESTAURANT', is shown once when viewing under group ' RESTAURANT ', and once also when viewing under group ' ALL CONTACTS ' ( with the same color characteristic). He is also shown once when viewing under group ' REAL ESTATE ' and with a color characteristic of the ' REAL ESTATE '.

But here come the tough ones.
I shut off DJO. I switch on to the native Iphone appl. This contact is shown correctly when viewing under the group either ' RESTAURANT ' or ' ALL CONTACTS '. He is not listed at all in the ' REAL ESTATE ' group !!!

REF. #2. I have received no instructions per your yesterday's post. But I think my comment was straight in forward.
If you have some contacts in DJO, that you have not assigned to them a category, i.e they are in the group ' NO CATEGORY ' ( grey square in front of them ) , they MUST appear when category chosen is ' NO CATEGORY '. Instead we get no listings whatsoever.

Thanks

Thomas
02-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi George,

Thanks for the update.
Regarding Contacts and expected behavior.
There is no direct correlation between iPhone Groups and DejaOffice Categories. According to our CTO the Apple API is too week to support this.

george759
02-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Hi George,

Thanks for the update.
Regarding Contacts and expected behavior.
There is no direct correlation between iPhone Groups and DejaOffice Categories. According to our CTO the Apple API is too week to support this.

Hi Thomas,

Is your post directed to my relative post, and does this mean that I should not expect an answer-solution regarding this post of mine, or should I ?

Thanks

Thomas
02-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi Thomas,

Is your post directed to my relative post, and does this mean that I should not expect an answer-solution regarding this post of mine, or should I ?

Thanks

Hi George,
Thanks for the reminder about your other post. I promise to get to that soon.
My previous post was in response to your definition of what is correct and what is not. Categories in DejaOffice Contacts do not show up as Groups in Native Contacts, and vise versa.

george759
05-31-2011, 02:17 AM
Hi George,
Thanks for the reminder about your other post. I promise to get to that soon.
My previous post was in response to your definition of what is correct and what is not. Categories in DejaOffice Contacts do not show up as Groups in Native Contacts, and vise versa.
Hi Thomas,
It' s been, quite a few months, but no response from you.
I am very surprised.
One thing I would like to add-ask, is that about the alphabetical tab in the contact list view.
1. After the alphabetical letters, there are some strange characters, what do these mean ?
2. Can these special characters be user defined? In case my contacts are stored in Latin fonts, but
also in some other language, is it possible to use these 'characters' as 'multi-language' tabs ( similar to the Microsoft Outlook contact list options ?

Should I expect an answers withing a reasonable time ?

Thomas
05-31-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi Thomas,
It' s been, quite a few months, but no response from you.
I am very surprised.
One thing I would like to add-ask, is that about the alphabetical tab in the contact list view.
1. After the alphabetical letters, there are some strange characters, what do these mean ?
2. Can these special characters be user defined? In case my contacts are stored in Latin fonts, but
also in some other language, is it possible to use these 'characters' as 'multi-language' tabs ( similar to the Microsoft Outlook contact list options ?

Should I expect an answers withing a reasonable time ?

Hello George,

Thank you for reminding me about this. DejaOffice v. 2.2.1 was just released in the iTunes Store. Can you please download this and can you verify if you are having the same behavior with Categories? We made some changes in the DejaContacts app.

george759
06-01-2011, 07:23 AM
Hello George,

Thank you for reminding me about this. DejaOffice v. 2.2.1 was just released in the iTunes Store. Can you please download this and can you verify if you are having the same behavior with Categories? We made some changes in the DejaContacts app.
Hi Thomas,
I have already downloaded the latest version. I will look into the matter regarding the ' categories ' and I will let you know.
What about the questions set in my last post ?
Could I have your answers ?

Thomas
06-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Hi Thomas,
I have already downloaded the latest version. I will look into the matter regarding the ' categories ' and I will let you know.
What about the questions set in my last post ?
Could I have your answers ?

George,
I do not know what those characters are. They are not generated by DejaOffice to the best of my knowledge. COuld you please provide an example of what these characters look like?